Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark E. Smith Screenplay To Be Published

Started by McChesney Duntz, May 23, 2021, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McChesney Duntz

As is appropriate with him, I don't know whether here, Shelf Abuse or Deeper Into Movies would be the best place for this, but I'm guessing the MES-heads congregate the most 'round here, so:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/may/13/satanic-bikers-time-portals-and-the-fall-the-story-of-mark-e-smiths-secret-screenplay

To say I'm intrigued isn't the half of it. I've always wanted to see how his writing translates into other formats, and the existing examples thereof seem a tad... inconclusive, let's say. Will this be at all cohesive/coherent? We'll find out, I guess...

The co-author speaks:
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/europe-news/mark-e-smith-fall-book-script-otherwise-7971482

Brundle-Fly

Anything involving writer Graham Duff is always worth a look. His recent gig memoir, Foreground Music was superb.

Oz Oz Alice

Lovely guy as well, my group asked him to do a spoken word contribution to one of our songs and he invited us around to his flat to record it.

privatefriend

Reading 'Slang King', recently released by at last books.

https://www.atlastbooks.com/shop/p/slangking-nickas-planck

'Slang King' brings together nearly 40 years of Mark E Smith on stage with The Fall. From the start he warned us, We are Northern white crap that talks back, and he would rarely disappoint. This compilation of his intros—Good evening, we are the British Royal Navy and this is the art ass bandit section—outros—Thank you for allowing us in your ... security area. We're off to civilization. Good night—socio-political commentary, his heckling of the audience, holding other bands up to ridicule, and berating his own, the joking (always at someone's expense), all a reminder of the degree to which he performed and wrote in real time, live. For Smith, content, and to a large degree discontent, was at the heart of it all, words and lyrics its very expression. His brain: his instrument. The steady, at times brave backing of the mighty Fall, his anchor and his launching pad. From the long, long days.

Edited and with an introduction by critic and curator Bob Nickas, a Fall fan of rare vintage (first show: December 1, 1979, opening for the Buzzcocks at the Palladium in New York), the book is accompanied by more than 30 of Nikholis Planck's drawings, created especially for publication herein.]

Only a casual Fall fan but this is really good.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on May 23, 2021, 08:38:04 PM
Lovely guy as well, my group asked him to do a spoken word contribution to one of our songs and he invited us around to his flat to record it.

Aww, that's heartwarming!