Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eight Decades of Bob

Started by Keebleman, May 24, 2021, 03:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Yes, Robert Allen Zimmerman 'got born' eighty years ago today!  Quite a thing.  I suppose we should be used by now to that first generation of rock stars - as oppose to the rock'n'rollers who preceded them - being properly old rather than just metaphorically so, but it still brings me up short rather.  It's as if they should be immune from proper aging.

SpiderChrist

Been listening to Dylan all day. Fucking love that man's music.

Psmith

Happy Birthday Bob.
If I had to pick a favourite album it might be Highway 61 perhaps,there's so many to choose from.
But that sounds nice and raw to me and includes:
https://youtu.be/hUvcWXTIjcU
Desolation Row.

jobotic

Agree with you about Highway 61 Revisited, although Blood On The Tracks is nearly there.

Not that I know much, only own those two and the first album.

First heard him as a child when my mum used to play At Budokan so I like that a lot too. It's Alright Ma is blinding on that.

rue the polywhirl

First couple of decades not a lot from him. Third decade is just the ticket. Some corking stuff in the fourth decade. Later decades a mixed bag - some occasionally strong stuff.

Top 5 decades of Dylan -

1. His 20s
2. His 30s
3. His 50s
4. His 60s
5. His 70s

idunnosomename

was wondering if he would pull a Phil and not make it. maybe he'll try for the victory lap to 100 now

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 24, 2021, 09:39:30 PM
First couple of decades not a lot from him. Third decade is just the ticket. Some corking stuff in the fourth decade. Later decades a mixed bag - some occasionally strong stuff.

I read that as decades of his career, rather than decades of his life. So I thought you meant the 1980s was when he finally hit his creative peak, after the lacklustre sixties and seventies stuff, which offered "not a lot".

Glebe

He had his ups and downs, but there's no doubting he's created a fairly stunning amount of great songs.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 25, 2021, 12:41:20 AM
I read that as decades of his career, rather than decades of his life. So I thought you meant the 1980s was when he finally hit his creative peak, after the lacklustre sixties and seventies stuff, which offered "not a lot".

Me too.

jobotic

That would have been great.

Lou Reed's earlier works aren't really worth speaking about but I think we can all agree that he really became worth taking notice of with 1986's Mistrial.

El Unicornio, mang

Freewheelin' my fave. My Dad was a huge fan. I remember when I was a kid not knowing much about him and buying my Dad "Shot of Love" on cassette for father's day. Think it got listened to once.

the science eel

Quote from: jobotic on May 25, 2021, 10:23:52 AM
That would have been great.

Lou Reed's earlier works aren't really worth speaking about but I think we can all agree that he really became worth taking notice of with 1986's Mistrial.

It was all building up to that, wasn't it? there were hints earlier, on Growing Up In Public, but this was his absolute zenith

shagatha crustie

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/may/22/bob-dylan-at-80-in-praise-of-a-mighty-and-unbowed-singer-songwriter

Could have got up and saluted at the end of this article.

'Bad Dylan to us is interesting Dylan.' Hate how much I identify with that.