Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jury Duty in the time of Corona

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 25, 2021, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I've had the dreaded letter.

Is it possible to weasel out of this? I have not yet been vaccinated.

JamesTC

Get "NONCE" tattooed on your forehead.

Sebastian Cobb

That could cause confusion depending on the trial.

buttgammon

When I lived in Britain, I got called up and just told them I had problems with anxiety (this was true at the time) and couldn't do it. They didn't ask for a doctor's note or anything, they just let me off. I also got called up in Ireland, but managed to get out this time because it fell during the academic year and I had classes to teach. Again, they didn't ask for any proof, they just accepted my explanation and let me off. I'm not sure if I'm even eligible here because I don't have my citizenship yet, so that may have been an error on their part.

The way things are at the moment, you'd hopefully be allowed to say you're concerned about covid, you have unavoidable contact with vulnerable people and wouldn't want to put them at risk. It's worth a punt.

Dex Sawash

Tell them you're own the Brussels Sprouts diet

madhair60

tell them you're not doing it because you just don't feel like it.

Endicott

Tells them Brussels says you can't do it.

Blinder Data

You'll have had your first vacinnation by the time it happens, no?

I say go for it, really what's the worst that could happen

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 25, 2021, 01:49:04 PM

God knows. Vaccines are by postal invite and had no booking system.

They've now opened an online booking system for people 18-29 which I'm not.

Blue Jam

Don't weasel out of it, just do it. It's fascinating. Grim but fascinating.

Unless you have anxiety (worse than mine) or something, then by all means weasel out. The "grim" part might outweigh the "fascinating" part in that case.

Butchers Blind

Blue Jam

imitationleather

Chollis

what if the defendant is your dad?

DrGreggles

Do it. It'll probably be boring, but there's always a chance you'll get a juicy case.
A mate of mine got a seemingly dull embezzlement case which turned out to be fascinating - and included some smarmy banker types (who weren't even defendants) getting destroyed by the defence lawyer.

JamesTC

Tell them you are trapped in a Spanish dinosaur so are unable to attend.

Blue Jam

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 25, 2021, 02:36:44 PM
A mate of mine got a seemingly dull embezzlement case which turned out to be fascinating - and included some smarmy banker types (who weren't even defendants) getting destroyed by the defence lawyer.

sorry, couldn't resist

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 25, 2021, 02:14:08 PM
Don't weasel out of it, just do it. It's fascinating.

Cut to Seb listening to the 64th day of evidence in a six month fraud trial.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 25, 2021, 04:50:10 PM

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 25, 2021, 01:49:04 PM

I say go for it, really what's the worst that could happen

Might have do watch a video of a load of school children run over by a bus

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 25, 2021, 04:50:10 PM

Actually that would be worse

shiftwork2

My friend and colleague started yesterday.  She's diabetic and extremely covid-conscious yet seems happy enough with the arrangements.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 25, 2021, 07:06:54 PM
Actually that would be worse

The expert witness on bank payment systems now into his eleventh hour of testimony.

Icehaven

I've been led by American comedy to believe that admitting to some kind of prejudice gets you out of jury duty, so maybe tell them you think Northerners shouldn't be allowed to vote or something.

Small Man Big Horse

I had to do it during my third year at university, I'd already got out of it once prior to that but they wouldn't let me the second. Thankfully I didn't get chosen to be on the jury on three separate occasions, all of which were petty drug crimes, which plausibly could be to my own cannabis habit at that time and that I turned up bleary eyed and smelling of hash.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 25, 2021, 02:14:08 PM
Don't weasel out of it, just do it. It's fascinating. Grim but fascinating.

Unless you have anxiety (worse than mine) or something, then by all means weasel out. The "grim" part might outweigh the "fascinating" part in that case.

Why are people so against doing jury duty? It's an experience and chance to do something a bit different. Worst case; zone out for a few weeks then flip a coin at the end of the trial and you're 50/50 making the right call for zero effort.

Your boy Ferris was a juror on a murder trial. 6 weeks off work and the sheriff's office[nb]Edinburgh innit[/nb] mistakenly paid me the gross amount so I was tax free. I was making pittance and hated my job so it was a lovely little bonus (which is probably why they didn't notice the tiddly amount of tax I was supposed to pay), though the murder itself was actually a bit grim.

Still worth doing imo, especially when you add the free sandwiches (as many as you like!) into the decision.

Sebastian Cobb

It's packed lunches according to my bumf, covid innit.

I don't want to do it because, and I think this is quite important, I've gotten used to rolling out of bed at 9am and titting about on the internet all day.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 26, 2021, 07:08:05 PM
It's packed lunches according to my bumf, covid innit.

I don't want to do it because, and I think this is quite important, I've gotten used to rolling out of bed at 9am and titting about on the internet all day.

Yeah actually fair play, it was alright prior to covid but if you're not even getting sandwiches[nb]as many as you like![/nb] I'd sack it off.

Sebastian Cobb

It's not even in court, we're watching via video link, I think, based on the address it's in a cinema.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 26, 2021, 07:16:04 PM
It's not even in court, we're watching via video link, I think, based on the address it's in a cinema.

Ok back on - mute the video link and watch telly/play red dead redemption 2, nod and look serious throughout, deliveroo your sandwiches[nb]as many as you like![/nb] and keep the receipts for reimbursement.

You can still make this work for you, Cobb.