Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top Ground Gear Force

Started by M-CORP, May 25, 2021, 12:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-CORP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gigmxrf8w6U

Top Gear's contribution to Sport Relief in 2008 - the presenters 'improve' Steve Redgrave's garden. Just thought of this for the first time in a while, and I'm sorry, I think it's brilliant.

I don't know what the consensus is on Clarkson, Hammond and May here, but I personally really think they deserve to be talked about more, and I genuinely think they could be Morecambe and Wise for the 21st century. I'm not saying they're undisputedly the pinnacle of comedy or better than Monty Python or anything, and they certainly didn't do any song and dance routines with Tom Jones. But they do remind me of Eric and Ernie in the way they irritate each other, and as characters think they're more talented than they actually are.

In the clip above, James May's obsession with sheds and everything being in order, plus his rage at the shed being repeatedly destroyed, is funny enough on its own. So is Jeremy Clarkson's desire to solve everything with guns, explosion and concrete. So is Richard Hammond thinking he's more competent at gardening than he is, only to be infuriated that his plans aren't being followed. Put all three conflicting forces together, and of course it's going to be interesting.

This isn't me saying something like, 'Actually, Clarkson is a great guy in real life, and anyone who disagrees is wrong'. This isn't about the controversies or the real-life personalities. They do come across as egotistical children. And I am aware of the context of the above clip - i.e. Steve Redgrave genuinely didn't know it was happening, unlike his family and PA, and was apparently pretty annoyed (see script editor Richard Porter's book).

But I think it's good TV comedy. Also a good exaggeration of the typical charity TV show where celebrities do things they're not qualified to do simply for bants or PR. I laughed at it watching it back just now, which I think is a good sign.

Am I sick? Do I need therapy? Have I spent too long writing this? Yes.

Mobius

Quote from: M-CORP on May 25, 2021, 12:21:40 PM
I don't know what the consensus is on Clarkson, Hammond and May here, but I personally really think they deserve to be talked about more, and I genuinely think they could be Morecambe and Wise for the 21st century.

This is a windup

thr0b

I enjoyed it, and also Top Gear Of The Pops, which is more of the same sort of thing, just in a different format.

They're a funny trio. Just as scripted as any other sketch or variety show, so you make good comparisons.

Because they work so well together, it's also meant it's taken half a decade to get another trio that work almost as well on Top Gear proper.

They're ALL playing characters at all times, which most seem to forget. I agree with you.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: M-CORP on May 25, 2021, 12:21:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gigmxrf8w6U
I don't know what the consensus is on Clarkson, Hammond and May here, but I personally really think they deserve to be talked about more, and I genuinely think they could be Morecambe and Wise for the 21st century.

They have produced many moments of TV that I have laughed my head off at but this quote is beyond bonkers.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mobius on May 25, 2021, 01:53:14 PM
This is a windup

Yeah. There is one too many of them for a start

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 25, 2021, 03:52:51 PM
They have produced many moments of TV that I have laughed my head off at but this quote is beyond bonkers.

It's wacky hyperbole, but many mainstream commentators have been using this line to describe Ant & Dec for over 20 years, which is even wackier and more hyperbolic. A more workable comparison might be a The Goodies for the 21st century, or at very least Hello Cheeky.

madhair60

all three are pathetic pricks

Jake Thingray

"Mitchell and Webb do good impressions."

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Jeremy Clarkson assaulted someone because he couldn't have steak for dinner.