Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:58:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Pay

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, May 25, 2021, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Continuing a personal, penny pinching tradition, I have recently acquired another of my friend's old cast-off phones. This one is flash enough to include NFC, which has me wondering if it's worth installing Google Pay (or a competing payment app).

Pro: With cash becoming a distant memory over the past year, I've ditched my bulky old wallet, in favour of carrying my bank card loose in my pocket. While this has left my hip looking more svelte, it has led me to forget or misplace my card on occasion, which I'd be much less likely to do with my phone.

Con: Contactless payments are sometimes denied for security reasons, forcing one to use chip and pin, like a caveman. What is point phone paying, if I have to keep my card handy anyway?

I feel like I've pretty much talked myself out of it, but is there a compelling reason to install the app?

Endicott

Just about the most annoying thing while waiting in a supermarket checkout line, is watching the person paying with their phone fiddle with it for 5 min to get the payment app working.

Put the phone in a case that's got space for the card.

Sebastian Cobb

Seems easier to bonk a card than tit about unlocking a phone, plus cards don't need recharging.

checkoutgirl

Card payments take about 1.5 seconds and costs 1p and you don't have to touch anyone or anything. But what if 1.5 seconds is too long and 1p is too expensive?

I wouldn't want Google keeping an eye on all my payments, they're monitoring and monetising too much as it is.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't phone payments take longer and add a processing fee for both apple/google and the underlying card provider? (I don't know, obviously the merchants typically eat the fees).

earl_sleek

Not noticeably, no, though I use my card much more than my phone.

Sebastian Cobb

I meant longer 'cos of the faff of unlocking phone etc rather than the actual raw processing time.

imitationleather

I've got a Curve card, which lets you add all your various cards and accounts to one convenient piece of plastic. Apparently it can also house loyalty cards, but as I don't have any of them I've not tried that feature out.

Only downside is that it makes my wallet look extremely empty.

Cuellar

I use phone for everything really. In the event of a security check they (Natwest in my case) just send you a text or something and you reply 'YES' and it lets the payment through.

Don't even bring a wallet with me anywhere anymore.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on May 25, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
I've got a Curve card, which lets you add all your various cards and accounts to one convenient piece of plastic. Apparently it can also house loyalty cards, but as I don't have any of them I've not tried that feature out.

Only downside is that it makes my wallet look extremely empty.

I think an old colleague had one of them, one of the handy features of it effectively acting as a proxy to other cards meant they could get cash out of a cash machine on their credit card without being hit with a cash-advance fee.

Stonefish

I tried out Google Pay last week and it's mint. Works exactly like my contactless card only I don't have to rummage around in my wallet for it. And it's a doddle to use, just unlock your phone and wave it at the scanner. I don't even need to open the Google Pay app or any of that shite. I've caught a few envious glances as I effortlessly pay for my groceries.

Old Thrashbarg

I find that it's worth having it set up for the times when I've gone out without intending to buy anything (so haven't taken a card), but then remember that we've, say, run out of milk as I'm passing the local milk emporium.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 25, 2021, 03:00:06 PM
I meant longer 'cos of the faff of unlocking phone etc rather than the actual raw processing time.

Get a phone with a decent fingerprint scanner and unlocking it can be done whilst you're removing it from your pocket.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 26, 2021, 11:20:39 PM
Get a phone with a decent fingerprint scanner and unlocking it can be done whilst you're removing it from your pocket.

Yes, and all it costs is you having far less agency over when your phone gets unlocked!

Old Thrashbarg

Not really. You've still got to place a specific digit on a specific part of your phone. It's not something I can ever really remember doing accidentally.

For clarity, when I say 'a decent fingerprint scanner' I don't just mean one that uses the capacitive screen to say "yep, that's a vaguely cylindrical piece of meat, access granted".

canadagoose

I find Google Pay really useful, and I keep using it even when I didn't intend to (out of habit). Why not give it a go and see what you think? You can always take it off again.

olliebean

I guess it all depends whether you're comfortable with Google having a complete record of everything you buy.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 27, 2021, 12:04:03 AM
Not really. You've still got to place a specific digit on a specific part of your phone. It's not something I can ever really remember doing accidentally.

For clarity, when I say 'a decent fingerprint scanner' I don't just mean one that uses the capacitive screen to say "yep, that's a vaguely cylindrical piece of meat, access granted".

Quality of the fingerprint reader doesn't change the fact you can always refuse to give out a passcode but people could, if they wish, forcibly take a fingerprint.

This has actually been tested in law in the US; you can plead the 5th to not give out a passcode yet police have been allowed to take fingerprints by force to unlock electronic devices.

Cuellar

Quote from: olliebean on May 27, 2021, 10:18:24 AM
I guess it all depends whether you're comfortable with Google having a complete record of everything you buy.

I'm not arsed really.

Stonefish

Quote from: olliebean on May 27, 2021, 10:18:24 AM

I'm kind of numb to that now, especially after years of disapproving looks from people on the checkout as they scan my skittles, dip dabs, etc. At least I don't need to bear witness to Google's judgement, although someday I might.

Chedney Honks

Thought it was S4C but my phone is marginally more accessible than my card. Anyone saying it's difficult is a complete fucking cunt.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Stonefish on May 27, 2021, 03:44:13 PM
I'm kind of numb to that now, especially after years of disapproving looks from people on the checkout as they scan my skittles, dip dabs, etc. At least I don't need to bear witness to Google's judgement, although someday I might.

It's all fun and games until they feed the information into your social credit score.

Stonefish

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 27, 2021, 09:00:48 PM
It's all fun and games until they feed the information into your social credit score.

That's an understandable concern. Although my social credit score couldn't get much worse :(

Cuellar

If there is to be a social credit system implemented, why wouldn't banks be part of it anyway? They already have all our financial data, not just the bits and pieces.

Sebastian Cobb

why even have curtains

Cuellar

Well I'm with you on that. It's weirder for someone to be staring INTO my house than it is for me to be walking about nude in MY OWN HOUSE.

Chedney Honks

Thanks for the reminder of this. I pay for everything now with my phone since this thread. Just hold up the phone, little pause, buzz, dopamine, loving.

phes

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 27, 2021, 10:35:14 AM
Quality of the fingerprint reader doesn't change the fact you can always refuse to give out a passcode but people could, if they wish, forcibly take a fingerprint.

This has actually been tested in law in the US; you can plead the 5th to not give out a passcode yet police have been allowed to take fingerprints by force to unlock electronic devices.

my colleagues recently watched the police unlock a dead man's phone with his finger. bit bleak. think I might disable my scanner