Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:01:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Last Night in SoHo

Started by phantom_power, May 25, 2021, 05:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

First trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB9WUIv9KH8

Looks good. A real departure for Wright I think in that it looks like it eschews comedy altogether, though that could just be the trailer. Very Argento, very giallo. If nothing else it should look great

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on May 25, 2021, 05:09:47 PM
Looks good. A real departure for Wright I think in that it looks like it eschews comedy altogether, though that could just be the trailer. Very Argento, very giallo.

That's very much intentional...

Quote from: Edgar Wright"It will feel very different to my other films. But I've always liked films which have a slow burn into something else, and a lot of my movies have that feeling. Last Night starts in a more psychological realm and then starts to get increasingly intense as it goes along. And I always like to gravitate towards making a film in genres I miss, and there's a certain type of psychological horror film that you got more in the '60s and '70s that have something of an operatic nature. I'm using that kind of visual grammar."

Brundle-Fly

Looks very intriguing. I love London in the sixties so this will be right up my Wardour Street.

Mister Six

Got Matt Smith in it, so I'm sold.

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2021, 07:54:06 PM

Remember someone saying that about Terminator Genisys though

olliebean

First trailer? I'm absolutely 100% certain I saw a trailer for this (not this one, although it had some of the same shots in it) months ago.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on May 25, 2021, 10:11:30 PM
First trailer? I'm absolutely 100% certain I saw a trailer for this (not this one, although it had some of the same shots in it) months ago.

This is definitely the first trailer (unless you count the teaser for the trailer from a few days ago) but there were official publicity shots from the movie released a few months ago, so perhaps you're thinking of those.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on May 25, 2021, 10:11:30 PM

I did a market research thing for the trailer almost a year ago so it's possible you did at some point.

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on May 25, 2021, 10:24:11 PM
I did a market research thing for the trailer almost a year ago so it's possible you did at some point.

Yes, that might have been it. Annoying, because I made a note of it as potentially of interest at the time, and it was supposed to have been released by now.

greenman

The last bit of it does seem shifting a bit into more generic modern horror but hopefully thats more the trailer makers than the film as a whole.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on May 26, 2021, 08:52:20 AM
Yes, that might have been it. Annoying, because I made a note of it as potentially of interest at the time, and it was supposed to have been released by now.

Yeah I thought it looked great at the time but had forgotten about it until recently.

SteveDave

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2021, 07:54:06 PM

The guy from "This Time With Alan Partridge"?

Glebe

Quote from: phantom_power on May 25, 2021, 05:09:47 PMVery Argento, very giallo. If nothing else it should look great

Yeah, love the shot of the eyes reflected in the blade.

Just watched the video for Beck's 'Colors' last night, turns out it's directed by Wright.

Bad Ambassador

The song reminds me of a Complete Lyrics round on ISIHAC:

"When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go..."
"
Spoiler alert
Kill yourself.
[close]
"

Neomod

I like Anya Taylor-Joy's look in this and The Queen's Gambit, like a Josh Agle illustration come to life and it's nice to see Rita Tushingham and Terry Stamp in the cast list.

"Can you direct me to the YWCA"

Is the Small World of Sammy Lee still the best Soho fillum?

phantom_power

Big De Palma vibes as well, which isn't surprising given Wright's love of Carrie and Blow Out. That whole duel personality thing is very Obsession, Dressed to Kill etc.

madhair60

More derivative crap from this hackiest of hacks

Edit: actually this is quite harsh.

Custard

The only film of Wright's I've not really got on with is The World's End, which is still one of my most disappointing cinema experiences. Especially as I'd rewatched Shaun and Hot Fuzz the day before. Have never gone back to it, maybe I should

I thought Baby Driver was great, and have rewatched it a few times, once through a film projector in my last flat, which was brilliant

What makes Wright a hack? He's one of the best writers and directors about at the moment, I'd say

chveik

Quote from: madhair60 on May 27, 2021, 04:08:21 PM
More derivative crap from this hackiest of hacks

Edit: actually this is quite harsh.

nah you're fine. can't believe that dude had the arrogance of releasing a 'my 1000 favourite films' list

Custard

What's arrogant about doing a list of your favourite films?

Everyone does that. Don't they?

chveik

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 27, 2021, 05:06:13 PM
What's arrogant about doing a list of your favourite films?

Everyone does that. Don't they?

a thousand though, that's a bit much

Custard

I dunno, he seems like the type of bloke who watches several films a week. Can't imagine it'd take long to have thousands to choose from

That list was a bit overwhelming when it first came out, mind. I've always meant to go back and do a proper deep dive on it, as he seems to have excellent taste

Having said that, I can imagine Tarantino being able to put together a list of double the length, with ease. That bloke seems to genuinely live and breathe film. Must be exhausting

As long as it turns people on to new things, I don't really see a problem with it. It's like Rate Your Music, but with less fresh air

Mister Six

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 27, 2021, 04:38:29 PM
What makes Wright a hack?

He's very obviously not a hack. Everything he makes is full of love and care and thoughtfulness. You could argue that he makes too many allusions and references to others' films, but he's less reliant on that than, say, Quentin Tarantino, who doesn't get stick for that any more (and who is also great and not a hack).

I wonder if this is the same resentment some people have for Simon Pegg for being "one of us" UK geeks who then went on to become massively rich and successful. I think if they'd been Americans following the same career trajectories - or if after Spaced they'd stuck to British TV and low-budget British movies - there would be less opprobrium on here because they wouldn't be seen as betraying their "class" and getting above themselves (us).

Gulftastic

Fuck that. Pegg is living the dream!

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on May 27, 2021, 05:48:04 PM
He's very obviously not a hack. Everything he makes is full of love and care and thoughtfulness. You could argue that he makes too many allusions and references to others' films, but he's less reliant on that than, say, Quentin Tarantino, who doesn't get stick for that any more (and who is also great and not a hack).

I wonder if this is the same resentment some people have for Simon Pegg for being "one of us" UK geeks who then went on to become massively rich and successful. I think if they'd been Americans following the same career trajectories - or if after Spaced they'd stuck to British TV and low-budget British movies - there would be less opprobrium on here because they wouldn't be seen as betraying their "class" and getting above themselves (us).

i just think his films are crap mate

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on May 27, 2021, 05:48:04 PM

Really though I think Wright is more prone to making cultural references than he actually is aping the styles of previous films, he does have a very definite style of his own that remains pretty consistent across his films.

That would be the main uncertainty about a film like this for me, can Wright actually recreate something like a Gallo film and actually have its style stand out enough to be worthwhile?

chveik

i can't see the point of making a giallo unless you have an interesting angle like Amer/Berberian Sound Studio

Dusty Substance

"Edgar Wright's a hack" - Someone who doesn't know what a hack is.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Relax, everyone. It's just madhair.

beanheadmcginty

Being an Edgar Wright really is a dying industry. Problem is, there's much less demand for brand new Edgars these days.