Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:43:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

70s New York/big cities in films

Started by willbo, May 25, 2021, 05:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

I always think about how exciting big cities and New York seemed in 70s films. Anything like Willy Wonka, Superman, What's Up Doc, Fame, Sat Night Fever, Rocky, Breakin', to thrillers like Dirty Harry and Pelham 123, French Connection etc. The 70s/early 80s just seemed to capture the excitement of a big city somehow. Any chance to go to a big city, even just Birmingham or Manchester, I always felt like it was like going to a movie. Like news-stands, cramped low stations that feel a bit like subways, long high buildings with gyms and dance studios on top. I guess I should know a lot of London films but I can't really think of any other than Girl From Starship Venus. Or Ealing I suppose. I feel like I get that feel now more from tv/streaming than films. Anything from Gotham to Brooklyn 99. I thought Black Swan had a good urban feel. Any other films with that feel out there?

(edit - there's also Paris of course. Luc Besson type stuff. I love classic Paris movies. Scorsese's King of Comedy is one of my fave films too.)

bakabaka

Not really a film with that 'urban backdrop as character' feel, but if you're looking for a film about a city, in this case Los Angeles, look no further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Plays_Itself

willbo

thanks...I've never even been to the US but I love LA films like Paris Texas and To Live and Die in..

greenman

Somewhat more modern city films perhaps Yi Yi? although I think that's almost more a version of sub urban living just with Asian high rises instead of estates of houses and culture centered around a few bars/cafes.

Secret of the Grain/Couscous is pretty interesting as well I think, man trying to open a boat restaurant in Sete, a town on the French med that hovers somewhere between urban grit and seaside glamour mostly in north african immigrant communities.

bgmnts

Oh see NYC in 70s films looks like an 'orrible shithole with The Warriors and Baseball Furies running all over place, graffiti everywhere, rat infested trench subways and drugs and prostitutes on every corner.

Icehaven

I'm biased as it's my favourite film in the world but a big part of Midnight Cowboy (1969) is about being on the right or wrong side of the capitalist American dream in late 60's New York. It's the contrast of Joe and Ratso's lives hussling in dingy bars while the condemned buildings they live in are literally torn down around them, while they attend warehouse parties thrown by wealthy hipsters superficially fascinated by their poverty while Joe sells himself (or tries to) to rich johns who see him as a commodity, and how differently it's possible to see/experience the same city at the same time dependent entirely on your economic status.

Watching Joe's initial optimism gradually decline as he's beaten down, then as he increasingly notices the other desperate, lonely people around him and recognises that he's becoming one of them is absolutely heartbreaking. Even getting out doesn't stop them being destroyed by it, and by then New York itself has gone from being this exciting and glamorous modern place of opportunity to an intimidating, alienating and frightening hellhole that's spat them out.

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2021, 08:04:33 PM
Oh see NYC in 70s films looks like an 'orrible shithole the super-coolest thing ever with The Warriors and Baseball Furies running all over place, graffiti everywhere, rat infested trench subways and drugs and prostitutes on every corner.

badaids

Great idea for a thread.  I really love films where New York itself is a character, from grimy stuff like Cruising to where it's a bit classier like Ghostbusters.  I've only been to New York once about 5 years ago and was really sad to see that the city is almost totally gentrified, just the same as London and Paris have been over the last 30 years.  I was gutted to stand on the crossroads that is on the front of Paul's Boutique and see that it all wanky bars and bistros now.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2021, 08:04:33 PM
Oh see NYC in 70s films looks like an 'orrible shithole with The Warriors and Baseball Furies running all over place, graffiti everywhere, rat infested trench subways and drugs and prostitutes on every corner.

The poorer places like that are the more dangerous they are, but also the more bohemian they are. New York in the 70s/80s was dangerous but also packed with artists, filmmakers, bands, hustlers, dealers, punks and everything in between. They're all living in condemned buildings and paying no rent and doing artistic things. Once it gets gentrified the beatniks and dossers can't afford to live there anymore and it loses it's character and becomes anodyne.

checkoutgirl

There's a documentary called Blank City (2010) which is all about the underground film making scene in New York in the late 70s and early 80s. People like Jim Jarmusch and Steve Buscemi in it and plenty of footage of New York in that era. I'm fascinated by New York at that time period.

bakabaka

The father of films about Paris is The Red Balloon. A charming short film with little story, but a massive love for the city. Filmed in the mid-50's, there are still a lot of ruins from the war, but the heart of the city is still there. It won the Palme d'Or and an Oscar, and is an essential part of French cinema.

It's available on youtube, but the dailymotion version is higher quality: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23dfvy

They have filmed near why I live as late70s/early80s US cities, and its very disconcerting taking a right under the railway arches and finding yourself in an episode of Kojak.

willbo

these 2 are underrated IMO. I really want to see Next Stop Greenwich Village someday too.

Gurke and Hare

The Long Good Friday is probably the definitive 70s London film, isn't it?

Dusty Substance

There are some excellent ariel shots in 1972's The Hot Rock of a helicopter flying around the construction of the World Trade Centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTgnH2Pw0io

Dr Rock

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 25, 2021, 11:00:04 PM

Yes, and Hoskins is also in one of the few 80s movies that capture a bit of sleazy 80s London, Mona Lisa.

Mister Six

That New York City doesn't exist any more, but After Hours has an incredible sense of place and time.

DrGreggles

I saw a fantastic documentary about NYC's near-bankruptcy in the mid-70s, and the footage is incredible.
Fucked if I can remember what it was called though.

willbo

mothman

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 25, 2021, 11:18:19 PM
I saw a fantastic documentary about NYC's near-bankruptcy in the mid-70s, and the footage is incredible.
Fucked if I can remember what it was called though.

The Warriors?

studpuppet

Maybe Brannigan?

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2021, 11:10:40 PM
That New York City doesn't exist any more, but After Hours has an incredible sense of place and time.

Also Desperately Seeking Susan for a similar feel

zomgmouse

Jim Jarmusch's Night on Earth has FIVE cities

Sweeney 2.

Quote from: studpuppet on May 26, 2021, 12:29:11 AM
Maybe Brannigan?

Isn't the office at around 1 25 in a LOT of films? Thinking Theatre of Blood and maybe even Biggles Adventures in Time.

greenman

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 25, 2021, 11:09:37 PM
Yes, and Hoskins is also in one of the few 80s movies that capture a bit of sleazy 80s London, Mona Lisa.

There is a bit of variety than Long Good Friday as well not just being grim, the first half of Hussy with Mirren is a bit similar in terms of sleazy glamour.

King of Newyork has the same kind of top to bottom social view as well going from the streets to 5 star hotels.

EOLAN

Quote from: willbo on May 25, 2021, 11:20:19 PM
Trading Places too I guess

I am sure I Am not the only one who keeps thinking it is set in New York when it is actually largely based in Philadelphia.

EOLAN

1970s Soviet film Office Romance gives a nice sense of Moscow at the time. Largely filmed around the city centre for outdoor scenes and seeing the major factories bellowing smoke on the horizon.

Norton Canes

Mike Leigh's High Hopes (King's Cross), Naked (various locations) and Happy Go Lucky (Camden) for London, plus Meantime for the seedy suburbs and that fantastic shot of Trafalgar Square.

nw83

Chungking Express captures the excitement of Hong Kong well. Michael Winterbottom's criminally underrated Wonderland, which is inspired by it in places, is one of the few films that really looks and feels like London IMO.