Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:46:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

70s New York/big cities in films

Started by willbo, May 25, 2021, 05:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Best representation of Sydney so far:

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Escape From New York? (somebody will probably pop up and tell me it was actually filmed in Burnley now).

dr beat

That thing about Toronto pretending to be NY - is that a relatively recent development? And does it really happen that often?

The bits of King of Comedy where they film De Niro and Berhnhard out in the street in actual NY maybe deserve a mention.

willbo

Quote from: dr beat on May 28, 2021, 07:42:00 AM
That thing about Toronto pretending to be NY - is that a relatively recent development? And does it really happen that often?

The bits of King of Comedy where they film De Niro and Berhnhard out in the street in actual NY maybe deserve a mention.

I know a lot of filming happens in Canada because its cheaper. "Monk" and "X Files" both used Vancouver a lot (despite being set in San Fran and Washington)

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2021, 11:10:40 PM
That New York City doesn't exist any more, but After Hours has an incredible sense of place and time.

I would put early Jarmusch films in that as well, and to go to a completely different sort of film, Street Trash

willbo

this low budget trash movie has a good NYC feel

phantom_power

Low budget trash often has the best snapshots of their era as they have to shoot guerrilla style rather than using sets or blocking off streets

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: willbo on May 28, 2021, 09:15:46 AM
I know a lot of filming happens in Canada because its cheaper. "Monk" and "X Files" both used Vancouver a lot (despite being set in San Fran and Washington)

Due South too, "Chicago" with the CN tower proudly in the background.

steveh

Quote from: phantom_power on May 28, 2021, 11:43:54 AM
Low budget trash often has the best snapshots of their era as they have to shoot guerrilla style rather than using sets or blocking off streets

Reminded me of The Bronx Warriors which is a terrible movie but has very much of-their-time outside shots in Brooklyn (maybe they considered the actual Bronx too dangerous). There's a bunch of other Italian produced films with shots of NYC that don't regularly feature elsewhere and that give the impression they were quietly made with no permits.

Mubi currently has Born in Flames for more gritty 1980s NYC dystopias.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on May 28, 2021, 11:43:54 AM

Yeah I was going to say Blaxploitation has some nice bits of 70's street life for similar reasons, but don't consider it trash.

phantom_power

I meant trash more as an aesthetic rather than qualitative idea, although lots are both

Sebastian Cobb

Ah fair enough, I love schlock anyway tbf, not sure why I picked up on it really.

greenman

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 28, 2021, 04:05:42 AM
Escape From New York? (somebody will probably pop up and tell me it was actually filmed in Burnley now).

St Louis.

zomgmouse

Quote from: willbo on May 28, 2021, 09:15:46 AM

Also apparently NYC has only one publicly-available alleyway so maybe they go to Canada to film alleyways

notjosh

Die Hard with a Vengeance has a bit of a 70s/Taking of Pelham One Two Three vibe to it, in its preoccupation with grimy underground infrastructure, congested streets and colourful New York characters.

Sebastian Cobb

This isn't bad.

Well it's kind of miserable, but there's some good location stuff and it's got Paul Newman and Pam Grier in it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: willbo on May 25, 2021, 07:05:10 PM
thanks...I've never even been to the US but I love LA films like Paris Texas and To Live and Die in..

Just also remembered Miracle Mile for a great LA film.

phantom_power

PTA films are good for the more scuzzy side of LA, like in Boogie Nights, Inherent Vice or Magnolia

Dr Rock

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 31, 2021, 02:38:06 AM
Also apparently NYC has only one publicly-available alleyway so maybe they go to Canada to film alleyways

Yeah I went to New York and I didn't see any alleyways. Comics and movies lied to me.

notjosh

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 31, 2021, 02:55:23 PM
Yeah I went to New York and I didn't see any alleyways. Comics and movies lied to me.

Conversely, I was amazed to discover that those cool clouds of mysterious steam emanating from manholes are actually a real thing.

Dr Rock

Yeah they are real and very cool. Also there are loads of water towers on top of buildings like in Spider-Man comics.

jonnycuba

Not quite NYC, but 1970's "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" set in Boston has that proper grime. Mitcham & Boyle add the dirt.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 31, 2021, 04:05:13 PM
Yeah they are real and very cool. Also there are loads of water towers on top of buildings like in Spider-Man comics.

New York is absolutely the city where when you go there for the first time you think "Wow! I'm on TV!"

willbo

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 01, 2021, 03:38:58 PM
New York is absolutely the city where when you go there for the first time you think "Wow! I'm on TV!"

I remember being excited as a kid just going to Birmingham (west midlands) and how Blade Runner/cop film/disco film/Marvel Comics ish it looked...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 01, 2021, 03:38:58 PM

Or, if you visit the Upper East Side of Manhattan, "Wow! I'm in a Woody Allen film!"

The only Allen film in which he depicts the grungier side of NYC is Bananas. His character in that is, for once, a blue collar worker who lives in a shitty apartment, so the early scenes feature lots of nice early '70s New York grime. Plus a pre-fame Sylvester Stallone as a menacing Subway Punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blOUfHFaNvs

Emma Raducanu

Great idea for a thread. I really love that big city feel, where the location comes alive. I felt it in Joker. I could almost smell New York in Taxi driver. Sorry but loved Tokyo in lost in translation.

He's been mentioned already but Jim Jarmusch's night on earth captured New York in a way that rooted firmly in my mind for years. Just the shots of run down bronx and boarded up shop fronts, mysterious buildings illuminated in the dead of night. It's haunting.

Cuntbeaks

Driller Killer has some fantastically grim New York footage.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 08, 2021, 10:41:57 PM

That whole era of 70s/80s grimy New York stuff, like Maniac, God Told Me To, CHUD... excellent

famethrowa

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 08, 2021, 10:41:57 PM

Wow, I had no idea that was a US film! Always assumed it was a UK thing, due to it being a video nasty and all that.

Dr Rock

I don't think any 'video nasties' were UK made films (feel free to correct me horror fans).