Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

70s New York/big cities in films

Started by willbo, May 25, 2021, 05:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

No, part of the thing about it was, I think, that foreign films were clearly more horrible and dangerous than UK ones. There were no Hammer films on the list of anything, but some fairly tame US and Italian ones were

willbo

The most controversial/banned film set in the UK I can think of is Straw Dogs?

famethrowa

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 10, 2021, 06:46:37 AM
I don't think any 'video nasties' were UK made films (feel free to correct me horror fans).

I think I may be lumping it in with Xtro, does that count?

zomgmouse

the living dead at MANCHESTER morgue

Ferris

Quote from: dr beat on May 28, 2021, 07:42:00 AM
That thing about Toronto pretending to be NY - is that a relatively recent development? And does it really happen that often?

The bits of King of Comedy where they film De Niro and Berhnhard out in the street in actual NY maybe deserve a mention.

All the fucking time. I worked downtown (I guess I can say Yonge and Adelaide now that I no longer work there) and I'd guess minimum once a fortnight the surrounding streets or building lobby would be closed for filming, all year round. I think I mentioned seeing Nicolas Cage buying a pasta salad at a place down the street, but filming is ubiquitous[nb]my old apartment was in the back of a Canadian malteasers commercial[/nb] - I have quite a few friends who work part time as actors because of the prevalence of low to mid budget productions there

Also spent a surreal evening in a bar downtown watching the same two "NYC" cabs circle the block counter clockwise, while one went clockwise. It was like that scene in the Truman show, except it went on for three hours and I was slightly pissed.

I love the steam rising out of sewer vents. I remember the first time I saw that and went "yeah".

zomgmouse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 11, 2021, 01:59:59 AM
I love the steam rising out of sewer vents. I remember the first time I saw that and went "yeah".

Same

Neomod

The Warriors graffiti was still there on the Stauch baths façade back in 2003 when I was in Coney Island.

Sebastian Cobb

The Warriors is basically a perfect film imo.