Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:56:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Urban Myths/bull-crap passed around at school? (Musical Edition)

Started by willbo, May 26, 2021, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

Some kid at school said that Slash from Guns n' Roses was an outlaw armed robber. Basically a Los Angeles High Court Judge had ruled that Slash's guitar skills were too good to be wasted in prison. So he gave Slash over to the custody of Geffen Records. So they had to keep him in a secret location like a cave, and noone knew his real name, not even the other band members. Also part of the deal was that he had to keep his big hat on and his hair over his face at all times.

And there's also all the Alice Cooper/Marilyn Manson/Prince/Michael Jackson ones (ribs removed, being an actor from whatever wholesome sitcom was on at the time, etc)

Egyptian Feast

Carl Cox died of a drug overdose at a few points in the early 90s (at least around my way). Not sure what drug killed him, but it took over a dozen E's to fell Scatman John, who died at some point between the release of "Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop)" and "Scatman's World".

poodlefaker

The woman who works behind the till in the Manchester University Student Union shop is Morrissey's auntie.

willbo

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 26, 2021, 11:39:15 AM
The woman who works behind the till in the Manchester University Student Union shop is Morrissey's auntie.

Feel like this could be true. I feel like if he loves his relatives he would have paid to move them all out to California with him though. I don't know how well he got on with his aunties.

Pauline Walnuts

Morrissey hates his family isn't he? Just like everything else, other than Morrissey, natch.

Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithful and the Mars bar, Prince and his rib and Lisa Stansfield's frozen turds were the main ones at our school.

Egyptian Feast

I just remembered another dead 90s pop star - Ray Mudgaard from 2 Unlimited. I think that one was a car crash. No dance act was safe in my school in the early-mid 90s, it would appear. Aside from Scooter, who survived long enough to play a gig at our local community centre that all the hard lads at school attended. 

JaDanketies

friend of a friend shagged Jenny Frost from Atomic Kitten.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on May 26, 2021, 11:55:45 AM
Morrissey hates his family isn't he? Just like everything else, other than Morrissey, natch.
I think he was always close to his mother - didn't he appear on the One Show mainly because she was a fan of the show? Then followed an embarrassing exchange about her name (Mrs Morrissey/Mrs Dwyer/Ms Dwyer) with yer man Chiles.

jobotic

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 26, 2021, 10:19:12 AM
Carl Cox died of a drug overdose at a few points in the early 90s (at least around my way). Not sure what drug killed him, but it took over a dozen E's to fell Scatman John, who died at some point between the release of "Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop)" and "Scatman's World".

Tell you what isn't a myth - Carl Cox sponsors a sidecar racing team. Saw them at Brands Hatch a few times.

studpuppet

Joan Armatrading and Valerie Singleton were an item.

Also, Spandau Ballet went to my school and there was a dent in one of the music room cupboards that was purportedly made by them[nb]Not one of them, seemingly they did it as a single band entity.[/nb].

Icehaven

When Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboard player Jonathan Melvoin died in 1996 it was initially reported as "Smashing Pumpkins' musician dead of heroin overdose", and everyone was saying it was either Billy Corgan or Jimmy Chamberlain. I remember a friend ringing me nearly crying because she thought it was Corgan, and there was a tense day or two until it was confirmed it was just some bloke none of us had even heard of, phew! Initially speculating that it was Chamberlain made sense as he and Melvoin had shot up together and both collapsed, then the rumour mill quickly threw Corgan into it to maximise interest even though he wasn't even there.

daf

Ian Dury dropped his trousers and did a big old shit on stage right in front of everyone during a concert (and then probably rolled around in it . . . the dirty bastard!!)

Must have been around the time of Dury's TOTP appearance in 1979 - so around 6 years before troubled nutcase GG Allin actually did just that . . . the dirty bastard!!

Jockice

Just the Marc Almond one as far as I can remember. Although several people thought it was Dave Gahan.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Jockice on May 26, 2021, 02:23:33 PM
Just the Marc Almond one as far as I can remember. Although several people thought it was Dave Gahan.
Same story, but Rod Stewart.

Video Game Fan 2000

Every Welsh teenager who worked behind a counter in the 90s was unofficially the last person to see Richey alive. He must have hit every Spar and Happy Shopper between Fishguard and Cwmbran that night and he must've needed a van to transport all the fags and marsbars he bought.

Camp Tramp

Michael Hutchence and Boy George were having a love affair.

Captain Sensible was a schoolmate's dad.

Echo Valley 2-6809

My favourite was one I saw on a forum years ago (not here) where someone was a kid in primary school in 1971 and everyone was talking about T. Rex doing Hot Love on TOTP the night before.

A couple of the kids laughed about the weird flecks under Bolan's eyes (it was silver glitter that wouldn't have been obvious on a crap b&w TV), until another boy solemnly said they shouldn't laugh because Bolan had leukaemia and that was one of the signs. Everyone believed it because kids didn't know what leukaemia was and the sad story was common knowledge by the end of the day.

Mr Farenheit

Kid, Play, Salt and Peppa all worked in the same call centre at the same time after falling on hard times post fame.

Egyptian Feast

The old story where Alice Cooper did a big poo on stage and Frank Zappa ate it was a good one, sadly pooh-poohed by Snopes and by Frank himself:

QuoteFor the record, folks: I never took a shit on stage, and the closest I ever came to eating shit anywhere was at a Holiday Inn buffet in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in 1973.

Somebody did tell me that story, but it was at college. They had a lot invested in it, so refused to believe that the story wasn't true or - and he was even more vehement about this - that Zappa wasn't the biggest acid-head of all the 60s musicians. No mere dabbler like Hendrix or Garcia, Frank was the real Acid King, completely off his fucking nut the entire time, which is pretty obvious when you hear any of his music.

turnstyle

If Boy George ever got a cut or a graze, presumably from swinging a flick knife around or a nasty tackle in rugger, he would eschew the traditional plaster and instead have a small boy suckle the wound until the bleeding had ceased.

Bruce Dickinson is Price Charles' illegitimate son, the result of a fling with a servant girl (this one seems unlikely on reflection as Prince Charles is only 10 years older than Bruce, but we didn't have the internet back then so didn't know any better).

Sonia is not a natural redhead, a friend of a friend of a friends brother got off with her in a pub and the curtains didn't match the carpet.

The Pet Shop Boys name relates to an unsavoury practice involving pet hamsters.

JaDanketies

Slipknot dumped a bunch of live chickens into the moshpit and they were torn apart by the bloodthirsty audience (of 14-year-olds with wallet chains and their mums)

DrGreggles

There was one in the early 90s about a student house party in Liverpool where Michael Hutchence and Kylie turned up uninvited, hoovered up shitloads of coke, went upstairs to fuck for a few hours, then buggered off in a limo.
No one believed it for a while, but then them getting together became common knowledge and it soon became accepted as fact.

The best thing about the story is that the room they allegedly used was my mate's brother's, who was away that weekend and hated anyone even moving his yogurt to a different shelf in the fridge, let alone people banging in his bed.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 26, 2021, 02:48:29 PM
Every Welsh teenager who worked behind a counter in the 90s was unofficially the last person to see Richey alive. He must have hit every Spar and Happy Shopper between Fishguard and Cwmbran that night and he must've needed a van to transport all the fags and marsbars he bought.

That explains why he abandoned his car.

Brundle-Fly

Debbie Harry was Marilyn Monroe's illegitimate daughter. Also she didn't wear knickers on stage and used to flash at the dirty old men in the front row at Blondie gigs. A later one was that Ted Bundy nearly murdered her. All BS.

daf

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 26, 2021, 05:11:04 PM
A later one was that Ted Bundy nearly murdered her. All BS.

Thought that one was true (or was it Ed Gein?)

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 26, 2021, 04:06:19 PM
Slipknot dumped a bunch of live chickens into the moshpit and they were torn apart by the bloodthirsty audience (of 14-year-olds with wallet chains and their mums)

Someone at school told me that members of Limp Bizkit "battered" some of Slipknot and I shouldn't be surprised because Fred Durst is an ex-marine.