Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,346
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:14:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Movies w/ Toxic Couples?

Started by MortSahlFan, May 26, 2021, 07:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 28, 2021, 04:19:24 AM
I hate to be pedantic, but it's "Le Chat". Les is plural, so Les Chat (Chat being singular) doesn't make sense, although Les Chats would. Buelligan can back me up on this shit.

I appreciate you correcting me from a movie and language aspect.

sevendaughters

Modern Romance by Albert Brooks. Mostly about the bloke being a personal disaster but when she turns up the dynamic goes worse.

nw83

MortSahlFan

Gulftastic

Quote from: MortSahlFan on May 29, 2021, 04:09:19 PM
"Once Were Warriors"
One of them films that's so grim I have never managed to summon the will to re-watch.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 29, 2021, 04:15:15 PM
One of them films that's so grim I have never managed to summon the will to re-watch.

Same.. It's a good movie, but its definitely a single-viewing experience. I can't imagine ever wanting to see that again.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There's a sequel as well isn't there? Somebody uploaded it to YouTube, but they uploaded it about ten years ago so the video quality is shit.

elliszeroed

Head On

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-On_(film)

Head-On (German: Gegen die Wand, literally Against the Wall; Turkish: Duvara Karşı) is a 2004 German-Turkish drama film written and directed by Fatih Akın. It stars Birol Ünel as a Turkish-born, alcoholic German widower who enters into a marriage of convenience with a young woman of Turkish descent. She is desperate to escape her restrictive and abusive male relatives.

neveragain

Not sure if toxic is the right word but Downhill (the US remake of Force Majeure) with Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus was bloody good I thought, despite the bad reviews.

sevendaughters

Quote from: phantom_power on May 29, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
Nil By Mouth

yeah! plus the Alan Clarke stuff that inspired it like The Firm.

Dex Sawash

phantom_power

Leaving Las Vegas
Requiem for a Dream

Egyptian Feast

The Pink Panther - Clouseau's wife frames him for David Niven's crimes and he gets banged up. Bit harsh.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: elliszeroed on May 30, 2021, 07:18:58 PM
Head On

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-On_(film)

Head-On (German: Gegen die Wand, literally Against the Wall; Turkish: Duvara Karşı) is a 2004 German-Turkish drama film written and directed by Fatih Akın. It stars Birol Ünel as a Turkish-born, alcoholic German widower who enters into a marriage of convenience with a young woman of Turkish descent. She is desperate to escape her restrictive and abusive male relatives.

I just saw this a week ago.

Helvetica Scenario

bgmnts

Marc Antony and Cleopatra in Cleopatra.

Gets double points for it being meta.

MortSahlFan

Andy147

"The Break-Up" is far from being a great movie, but is definitely about a toxic couple. I think the lead actors (Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston) had just broken up in real life when I saw it, making it even more cringeworthy.