Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GP surgeries facing abuse

Started by bgmnts, May 28, 2021, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

He didn't say they were pretending to be mentally ill, he said they were using mental illness as an excuse for abuse behaviour towards the staff.

Buelligan

He actually said -

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 28, 2021, 03:48:59 PM
I used to[nb]Used to and, after four years of shit, I'll never work for a similar place[/nb] work for an organization which partly dealt with these kinds of issues and the vast majority of the aggressive cunts who would abuse  staff, nurses and doctors in GP surgeries would just play the "mental health" card and get away with it.

Is that OK?  I didn't and don't think so.

Sebastian Cobb

Cynically claiming 'mental illness' seems exactly like the sort of thing a cretin who would kick off at GP staff would do if called on it, although cynically dismissing frustrated and scared peoples outbursts at bureaucratic indifference at their plight is also something I can see happening.

How very centrist of me.

Kankurette

Quote from: All Surrogate on May 29, 2021, 03:58:53 PM
I'd say this attitude it a bit rich coming from someone who lives in a cave, frequently points out the horrific side of human life (often driven by the subordination of feeling to greed and money), has just yesterday indicated a desire to live alone on an island, and believes the world would be better if all humanity disappeared.

And yet it's Dusty Substances who's at fault for expressing their own opinion, based on their own experience, that people are sometimes awful, because they were getting paid for it, and so had better keep quiet?
But it's OK when she does it. As is shitting on disabled people by calling people who can't live on a remote island due to lack of accessibility 'wusses'.

I'm mentally ill and I don't treat GP receptionists like shit.

peanutbutter

RE: online booking, I tried to book a couple of days ago but there was no option that made sense (I had "medication queries and travel advice" and "annual checks"). I see there's a "general" option available now but the listed name is a pharmacist, are some clinics doing an initial call with a pharmacist before booking in a GP appointment?

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on May 29, 2021, 06:52:07 PM
But it's OK when she does it. As is shitting on disabled people by calling people who can't live on a remote island due to lack of accessibility 'wusses'.

she wasn't 'shitting on disabled people', don't be disingenuous

Hobo

pigamus

Quote from: chveik on May 29, 2021, 07:56:44 PM
she wasn't 'shitting on disabled people', don't be disingenuous

Yeah, sorry Kankurette but I don't think you're being entirely fair there, the "wusses" comment was a joke

Kankurette

And I was supposed to know that, how?

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 29, 2021, 07:38:38 PM
RE: online booking, I tried to book a couple of days ago but there was no option that made sense (I had "medication queries and travel advice" and "annual checks"). I see there's a "general" option available now but the listed name is a pharmacist, are some clinics doing an initial call with a pharmacist before booking in a GP appointment?

Fucking hell...they've done it, haven't they.  The NHS has actually been destroyed. Simplistic comment, I know, but as someone who hardly ever needs to see a doctor this post has chilled me to the bone.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kankurette on May 29, 2021, 10:29:09 PM
And I was supposed to know that, how?

By reading?  This was my outrageous post (with the post I was replying to for context) -

Quote from: Buelligan on May 29, 2021, 09:08:21 AM

Quote from: Aaron500 on May 28, 2021, 11:22:38 PM
No hot water, and apparently only the possibility of some lights from the "small solar charger" (why not a large solar charger?)
And when daylight comes, you have to go mop piss off the floor and scrub shit off the bowl in the toilets. Then trudge back to you damp, cold lodgings where you can sit in the dark, smelling of piss and shit and despair.

When I arrived here I was in much the same situation.  I worked to improve things, it was hard but it was great, really made me appreciate small[nb]ENORMOUS[/nb] joys like having a warm shower.  I'm amazed you lot[nb]humans[/nb] are such a bunch of wusses.

Made in a thread that you had not posted in, so how you leap from that into me -

Quote from: Kankurette on May 29, 2021, 06:52:07 PM

My bold for ease of understanding.  I mean, fucking hell, that's a hell of a stretch.

And here, just to complete things, is my reply -

Quote from: Buelligan on May 29, 2021, 10:12:45 AM
Quote from: Kankurette on May 29, 2021, 10:00:14 AM
I'm a wuss because I want to live somewhere accessible? Next you'll be telling me I should stop taking my pain meds and eat some plants or something.

I'm not proud of the fact I physically can't garden or build my own fucking house. I'm ashamed of it. And I'm jealous of people like you who are self-sufficient, because that will never be a reality for me. But being in pain 24/7 is fucking shit. And places like this are NOT ACCESSIBLE for people like me.

Don't sell yourself, or maybe, others, short.  My brother has advanced MS, his symptoms include loss of control over his limbs, eyesight, pain, cramps, spasm and worst of all, IMO, that horrific headspin feeling you get when you're dreadfully drunk, all of the time for days and weeks on end.  He lives in an elaborate homemade shed[nb]Not very elaborate, but not an actual shed[/nb] in a wood up a mountain and he loves it.

I wasn't calling you a wuss, I wasn't even thinking about you, Kankurette and this is a lighthearted thread but I'm sorry you feel I called you a wuss.

I repeat, the post quoted directly above was the first post you made in that thread.  Bizarre.  I don't know what the fuck's crawled up your arse but it's nothing to do with me.  As I said, I wasn't thinking about you or talking about you, you had not posted in that thread, IT WAS NOT ABOUT YOU.  If you have a big problem with the word wuss, I'm afraid you should gird your loins and synapses before exposing yourself to some of the very strong language that is released here upon occasion.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It is a clear overreaction by Kankurette to what seemed a light-hearted comment, but nevertheless you have to reflect that perhaps in the context of so much vocal asceticism and be-more-like-me moralising, alongside unflinching commitment to never conceding any part of any point ever, you invite a dynamic where people try to knock you off your pedestal and do react differently to posts intended as innocuous.

I've no doubt it's true, but the fact you have a brother with MS who lives in a shed handy for that precise comeback is so shit eatingly typical I burst out laughing (at the context, not the brother, who albeit seems from your description must be robust and relatively hearty of constitution considering everything)

Buelligan

Shoulders, I don't give two penny fucks for people who desperately feel compelled to knock me off a pedestal they put me on.  Fuck them and their weird game.

To be clear, I don't care who's like me or not like me.  Surely it's all the people getting disturbed that someone can be perfectly happy not being like them that need to have a rethink.  Or should I change my life, myself, not be who I am, just lie about it, to avoid making them feel uncomfy?

Zetetic

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on May 30, 2021, 07:07:02 AM
Fucking hell...they've done it, haven't they.  The NHS has actually been destroyed. Simplistic comment, I know, but as someone who hardly ever needs to see a doctor this post has chilled me to the bone.
Why?

It's not like they're sending you to an imam. We can debate the wisdom of trying to manage demand on scarce generalists by putting pharmacists or nurses in front of them, but it's not a new strategy.

dr beat

Buelligan, I've seen first hand how your behaviour on this forum has affected people's mental health and wellbeing.

Buelligan

Are you saying I shouldn't continue to live?

Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread about it, rather than diverting this?  You could examine the interaction with Kankurette, outlined above, break it down and explain to me and anyone else who cares, exactly how what I've done there has really impacted other peoples' mental health and wellbeing.  When you're done, perhaps you'd take a moment to reflect how posting something like this

Quote from: dr beat on May 30, 2021, 09:43:55 AM
Buelligan, I've seen first hand how your behaviour on this forum has affected people's mental health and wellbeing.

could harm my mental health and wellbeing or don't I matter?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: dr beat on May 30, 2021, 09:43:55 AM
Mate you should see the contents of my inbox for some of the truly fucked up things men on this forum haven't the balls to say to me in front of everyone. A joke about "wusses" not wanting to live on an isolated island with no electricity pales in comparison.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 30, 2021, 09:03:44 AM
It is a clear overreaction by Kankurette to what seemed a light-hearted comment, but nevertheless you have to reflect that perhaps in the context of so much vocal asceticism and be-more-like-me moralising, alongside unflinching commitment to never conceding any part of any point ever, you invite a dynamic where people try to knock you off your pedestal and do react differently to posts intended as innocuous.

I've no doubt it's true, but the fact you have a brother with MS who lives in a shed handy for that precise comeback is so shit eatingly typical I burst out laughing (at the context, not the brother, who albeit seems from your description must be robust and relatively hearty of constitution considering everything)

I thought that reply to kankurette was astonishingly nasty tbh. "Ackshually, I'm not being ablist, you are. Why can't you be more like meeeeeee, and also the suspiciously convenient example that is my disabled family member? What's wrong with you, you lazy wuss?" Followed by an "I'm sorry you feel that way"-type textbook narcissistic non-apology. Wow.

She has form for this. In the "Getting fit in Covid" thread I posted about how I don't get an endorphin high after exercise and generally feel tired, drained and ill, and asked if anyone could relate. Of course, before anyone could post anything nice and positive and reassuring, up popped Buelly Homeowner with "but don't you feel all light and floaty like meeeeeeee?". I've struggled with exercise all my life, been written off by teachers as unfit and lazy, been bullied by kids who nicknamed me "Wimp" and "Weakling" and would imitate my then-undiagnosed asthmatic wheezing, struggled to take up running and a regular gym habit before giving up every time, wondering why I got out of breath so easily and why I found it so hard to improve my fitness levels, before finally being diagnosed at 38, and finally, gradually, getting into exercise. It's been hard and a little "What's wrong with you, you freak? Why aren't you healthy and normal like meeeeeee?" was the very last thing I needed and felt like a slap in the face. I know I'm abnormal and unhealthy, I've known this all my life, I didn't need another reminder. Fucking cheers.

There's also that infamous thread where people were discussing their struggles with loneliness where she waded in to say "being alone is beautiful" and started calling people cunts when they pointed out how incredibly insensitive this was.

I could be charitable here and interpret all this as her just feeling compelled to post an opinion in every GB thread even when she can't relate to its content, but I do have to wonder if she often just thinks of the most insensitive thing she can post. All the "Why isn't everyone more like meeeeeeee?" stuff and her weird lack of empathy is pretty narcissistic as well.

Also being called a cunt wasn't nice. I don't care if some people are desensitised to it, I don't care if this is a dark comedy forum. It's a strong insult no matter how you dress it up or try to pretend otherwise.

Buelligan

Yep, I should say something nice to you.  What is wrong with me?

Blue Jam

Back on topic, a good friend of mine is a paramedic, and ever since the day he announced he'd been accepted as a student paramedic I've been worried about him (and now his wife, another paramedic he met during training). Reading about the abuse paramedics get affects me personally, I really hope he doesn't encounter a violent drunk or even someone leaving an angry note on his ambulance but it feels like it's an occupational hazard, and it shouldn't be.

I also hate this "It's your job, I pay your wages" attitude. I have mental health issues and I have never used them as an excuse to bully stressed-out, hard-working, underpaid NHS staff.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 30, 2021, 11:01:42 AM
I also hate this "It's your job, I pay your wages" attitude. I have mental health issues and I have never used them as an excuse to bully stressed-out, hard-working, underpaid NHS staff.

If only people were more like you.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 30, 2021, 11:01:42 AM
Back on topic, a good friend of mine is a paramedic, and ever since the day he announced he'd been accepted as a student paramedic I've been worried about him (and now his wife, another paramedic he met during training). Reading about the abuse paramedics get affects me personally, I really hope he doesn't encounter a violent drunk or even someone leaving an angry note on his ambulance but it feels like it's an occupational hazard, and it shouldn't be.

Yeah, same, I make a point of keeping my nerve. At my old GP surgery there was a really arsey receptionist who talked to me like I was 5, and who wouldn't answer my queries about some mysteriously disappeared repeat requests, and it was a fair challenge to keep calm. I much prefer my current surgery.

Edit: the surgery did have a dedicated mental health nurse though, who I liked. Shame more surgeries don't have them, would save me traipsing to the Western.

Blue Jam

Quote from: canadagoose on May 30, 2021, 11:12:05 AM
Yeah, same, I make a point of keeping my nerve. At my old GP surgery there was a really arsey receptionist who talked to me like I was 5, and who wouldn't answer my queries about some mysteriously disappeared repeat requests, and it was a fair challenge to keep calm. I much prefer my current surgery.

Edit: the surgery did have a dedicated mental health nurse though, who I liked. Shame more surgeries don't have them, would save me traipsing to the Western.

I've been with the same GP since I moved to Scotland, but I have to say my experience of the NHS here has been a vast improvement on my experience with NHS England, and I use NHS services a lot. Everything just seems so much more efficient up here.

In London I struggled to even get an appointment as the surgery would do that sneaky thing of only putting appointments in the system two days in advance so they could meet their target of getting everyone an appointment within two days. I'd phone first thing in the morning and keep getting the egaged tone before finally getting through and being told all the appointments were gone, then when I tried getting up early to queue at the surgery the queue was down the street and when I got to the front the last appointment had just gone. On several occasions I'd go to NHS drop-in centres even though they're supposed to be for people not registered with a GP, because that was the only way I could get seen.

Not had that problem at all in Scotchland. I was a bit astonished when I first registered with a GP and got asked "When would you like an appointment? Is tomorrow good for you?"

dozybugcarrot

People I know who've worked as receptionists in GPs have found it absolute Hell - you're basically the gatekeeper for desperate and scared people, many of whom have a lifetime needing to figure out how to get help from those who don't want to give it. So many of the patients, due to circumstances, become nasty and manipulative, and then many receptionists, due to the circumstances of being lied to and shouted at, become rude. I've no idea the answer to all that. Free happy-drugs, maybe? Something cheery and vague with no side effects. Like Soma in Brave New World, maybe?

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 30, 2021, 11:25:56 AM
Everything just seems so much more efficient up here.
And having 30% more GPs-per-head, for a whole bunch of reasons (some of which do reflect Scottish Government and NHS Scotland policy compared to England, and some of which reflect Scotland's fortunes with respect to capital compared to much of the rest of the UK):
Quote from: Zetetic on May 28, 2021, 04:03:03 PM

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 30, 2021, 11:25:56 AM
that sneaky thing of only putting appointments in the system two days in advance so they could meet their target of getting everyone an appointment within two days
Of course, importantly stuff like this can and is controlled differently across the 4 countries via the QOF/QAIF contracts.

Butchers Blind

I don't know what's the matter with all you plebs. I've got private medical care and have no problem getting an appointment.

Kankurette

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 30, 2021, 09:03:44 AM

I am so glad I have Buelligan on ignore if that's her response. And yes, you've nailed it.
Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 30, 2021, 09:52:27 AM
Mate you should see the contents of my inbox for some of the truly fucked up things men on this forum haven't the balls to say to me in front of everyone. A joke about "wusses" not wanting to live on an isolated island with no electricity pales in comparison.
That's equally disgusting tbh. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Zetetic on May 30, 2021, 11:33:45 AM
Of course, importantly stuff like this can and is controlled differently across the 4 countries via the QOF/QAIF contracts.

I remember that two-day appointment target being introduced by New Labour, with their whole obsession with KPIs, but is it still in operation in NHS England? That was an absolutely huge problem for me when I lived in London, but that was ten years ago now.