Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Clot Bullshit

Started by Chedney Honks, May 28, 2021, 07:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

This clot chat. You've got more chance of getting a blood clot sitting on your fucking arse you numbskull cunt.

imitationleather

When I told my mum people my age weren't having Lil Clotta anymore she was very dismissive and said I'd have more chance of getting a bloodclart on The Pill.

My mum, there. Apparently forgetting that I'm male.

flotemysost

Quote from: imitationleather on May 28, 2021, 07:25:38 PM
When I told my mum people my age weren't having Lil Clotta anymore she was very dismissive and said I'd have more chance of getting a bloodclart on The Pill.

My mum, there. Apparently forgetting that I'm male.

It's true, though. I have a recent family history of clotty strokey DVT stuff on my mum's side - she's always been very quick to remind me of this any time I've been about to embark on anything vaguely risky (going on the Pill, getting a long haul flight, even sitting with my legs crossed ffs) - but she's also a pharmacist and loathes any hysteria around alleged side effects (she still spits blood at the mention of Andrew Wakefield) and anyway, her response to this was basically mate do you want the corona or what

Having said that I am glad to be offered alternatives, but seeing as I've spent a good chunk of my adult life on the Pill, drinking gallons of bitumen-grade coffee, sitting on planes, smoking and otherwise ingesting all sorts of shit, I probably don't really have any right to be worried about AZ.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: flotemysost on May 28, 2021, 11:54:12 PM
even sitting with my legs crossed ffs

No offence intended but why is it that being a parent rots people's brains to shit? I say this as someone whose mother recently warned her she was going to die of scurvy from not eating peppers.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I for one would welcome more ladyspreading, especially if it stops you getting DVT.

evilcommiedictator

It's stopped us here in Australia, we were going to do the vaccines age-down, but then the boomers heard from the media that blood clots are going from house to house breaking in and murdering people, so the rate went right down, and now younger people are more eligible after governments looked at the shelves and said "gee, lotta vials we got there".

chveik

i just hope there's a cloud rapper out there called Lil Clotta

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on May 29, 2021, 03:43:58 AM
i just hope there's a cloud rapper out there called Lil Clotta

Lady Gaga's mum

Icehaven

I had the Astrazenica one and the jabber asked if I was on any medication that thins the blood (I'm not). I didn't think much of it at the time but was that something to do with clots? And at the risk of sounding stupid wouldn't being on blood thinning meds actually lessen your chance of getting a blood clot?

Zetetic

I think the blood thinning question relates to the fact that they're about to stick a needle into you.

Icehaven

Quote from: Zetetic on May 29, 2021, 03:05:55 PM
I think the blood thinning question relates to the fact that they're about to stick a needle into you.

Ah that makes sense.

Pinball

Anyone not getting vaccinated is a clot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

rack and peanut

thenoise

If only there were alternative vaccines available that didn't carry a risk of blood clots, and were significantly more effective anyway.

flotemysost

Close up of a vein after the AZ jab:

rack and peanut

I'd mainline that tbf.

Art Bear

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on May 29, 2021, 03:26:18 AM
It's stopped us here in Australia, we were going to do the vaccines age-down, but then the boomers heard from the media that blood clots are going from house to house breaking in and murdering people

and then taking their franking credits

Blue Jam

Got a family history of clotty bollocks, been told by GPs that I should never take the combined pill and should wear flight socks on long plane journeys, and I'm getting worryingly close to the age my dad died of a massive heart attack, so yes, I've been very worried about Ol' Clotty and was very relieved to get the Pfizer jab instead. Being worried about this does not make me Andrew Wakefield. Probably still would have accepted any jab I was offered but been paranoid as fuck if it was AZ.

Quote from: thenoise on May 30, 2021, 09:22:42 AM
If only there were alternative vaccines available that didn't carry a risk of blood clots, and were significantly more effective anyway.

Yes, this basically.

flotemysost

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 30, 2021, 03:36:07 PM
Being worried about this does not make me Andrew Wakefield.

Oh I didn't mean to compare anyone worrying about AZ to him, it was just an example (albeit an extreme one) to say that my mum has very low tolerance for vaccine scaremongering in the media. However I can definitely understand being worried, especially if you're deemed high risk and particularly if you've had very personal/first hand loss relating to that condition. I've got a family history of DVT, heart attacks and strokes too, but I've been OK to take the combined Pill, fly etc. - or at least no one's told me not to. (Apart from my mum. Well, she always used to tell me I need to move my legs about as much as possible when I'm sitting on the plane. Clearly she's never flown Ryanair.)

I'd definitely have had AZ if it was the only option, but I'm relieved to have been given an alternative all the same. My brother had AZ (he's under 40, but they hadn't quite changed the guidance when he got his) and said he was a bit worried given our inherited risk, but he's been fine so far.  A nurse friend has said to me that the majority of people really don't need to worry about it, as getting ill from COVID carries a far higher risk of blood clots so the safest thing is to be protected, but if you're higher risk then it's impossible not to panic when you see those headlines.

Incidentally another friend and colleague of mine has been pretty ill recently (signed off work for a week or so, had to go to A&E and have loads of tests/scans), and she thinks it was probably an autoimmune reaction to Pfizer. She's immunocompromised, so has been double-vaxxed for a couple of weeks already, but apparently it can take a while for the body to react - she's OK now though, thankfully. It definitely seems like a bit of a cruel dilemma when you're at higher risk of getting seriously ill from COVID, but that means you might potentially also get ill from the thing that protects you.

Zetetic

How is the AZ-risk supposed to interact with existing risk or is that very much an unknown?

flotemysost

I'm not sure. I'm still not sure I fully understand why under-40s are at higher risk of clots (not saying it's not true) as generally with most stuff the risk of becoming ill/dead increases the older you get.

I did get asked for my ethnic background when booking my appointment, and also just before getting jabbed (as I'm sure everyone does) - in my case that partly contributes to the risk, and obviously there are loads of other potential risk factors they don't really ask about (family history obviously, smoker/non smoker etc.) but it seems the vaccine choice is solely being informed by age. Not that I'm complaining, but I do wonder if many over-40s were put off getting jabbed at all, when they might have been more receptive to an alternative.

ASFTSN

Quote from: flotemysost on May 30, 2021, 07:53:34 PM
I'm not sure. I'm still not sure I fully understand why under-40s are at higher risk of clots (not saying it's not true) as generally with most stuff the risk of becoming ill/dead increases the older you get.

I thought it was that the risk was the same, it's just that over 40 the risk of covid outweighs the (minimal) risk of clots, and the flipside of that applies. So if you're younger, the risk of covid and clots are both very low, so no point in raising the chances of the latter. If you're over 40, you're a waddling, wheezing mass of coagulating blood that'll clot into black pudding as soon as you even look at a Tesco pasta pot ready meal, so might as well jab you full of AZ so at least it's not covid that gets you, the state of you, take a sticker and get out