Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Singers with incredibly pleasant voices

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, May 28, 2021, 10:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Mark Eitzel
Gil Scott Heron
Bill Withers

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 29, 2021, 04:09:51 PM
Yeah, Karen Carpenter had a voice like an incredibly rich chocolate sponge cake.

Also Rumer, although the Karen Carpenter comparison has been overdone.

Todd Rundgren had a great rock voice, but also a very soothing ballad voice back in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWnYKRNn34 (Wailing Wall).

Video Game Fan 2000

Anne Briggs
Ray Charles
Maria Bethania
Sarah Vaughan
Patrice Rushen
Junior Murvin
fuccckn Macca

pigamus

Phil Collins. It seems to be fashionable to like him now but he was always a great and underrated singer.

Chicory

Not a trendy choice but I think George Michael had an amazing set of pipes on him.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If we're on the more populist tip, I always found Lily Allen to have a lovely voice, when she wasn't doing that mockney accent thing. Trufax: she did the backing vocals on Vindaloo.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 29, 2021, 03:53:53 AM
Tracyanne Campbell

Such a beautiful voice, one of my faves.

Also, Micky Dolenz. I suppose we're just listing singers we like now, but the purity of Dolenz's voice is - as per the thread title - incredibly pleasant and delightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FqCt5gYsVI

The Mollusk

Quote from: pigamus on May 29, 2021, 08:38:21 AM
Sandy Denny. My favourite singer.

Often imitated, never bettered. One of the most stunning voices of all time.

Jockice

Quote from: Chicory on May 30, 2021, 02:03:02 AM
Not a trendy choice but I think George Michael had an amazing set of pipes on him.

Even less trendy but I really like Marti Pellow's voice.

Sebastian Cobb

Beth Orton has a great voice but I only really seem to like the guest vocals she's done for the Chemical Brothers.

lazyhour

*waits for Dusty Substance to arrive and say Weyes Blood*

He'd be right, though, one of the best voices out there at the moment.

I'd throw in modern-day baritone Bill Callahan.

Cuellar

Cuellar

The Mollusk

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lazyhour on May 30, 2021, 05:42:05 PM
*waits for Dusty Substance to arrive and say Weyes Blood*

He'd be right, though, one of the best voices out there at the moment.

I'd throw in modern-day baritone Bill Callahan.

Haha! Fuck's sake, am I really that predictable?! But, yeah, hers was first name that came to mind as soon as I saw the thread.

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 30, 2021, 07:00:52 PM
How's no one said Scott Walker yet

My second choice :(

I'll say Roy Oribison then. I used to have a Roy compilation CD which included a David Lynch quote in the liner notes. Can't remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of "They say Roy Orbision's voice is like something you'd hear in a dream. I think it's more like something you'd hear in a dream within a dream".

JaDanketies

She's good is  Weyes Blood. Introduced to her via the YouTube algorithm, as I was with Black Pumas who has a great voice in this song.

rue the polywhirl

Carl Wilson. Also incredibly pleasant songwriter - everything he's ever written for the Beach Boys has been bang-on pleasant, no more no less.

timebug

Marion Montgomery, who used to be on BBC things a lot as a guest. Smooth and lovely. Technically a 'jazz' singer, but as a non jazzer, I always found her voice magically soothing. Also Perry Como, who I grew up hating for being a bland M.O.R/cabaret type singer, but as I grew older, I realised how effortless he made it sound.

Pink Gregory

Would it be odd to say Robert Wyatt?  Certainly unconventional but if it's for you it's like little else.

Neomod

Sibylle Baier
William Hart
Emmanuelle Proulx
Cristina Donà
Sandy Denny
Inara George
Andrea Simpson and Lois Wilkinson (The Caravelles)
Terry Callier
Françoise Hardy
Richard Hawley
Joan as Police Woman

Neomod

Oh and I guess a pleasant voice is a pre-requisite for a place in the Swingle Singers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxQkVtvwcLk

wosl

Lots of good ones listed already (if you were doing this as a Desert Island sort of thing, then the Collected Karen Carpenter ought to be pre-bundled, like the Bible and the works of Shakespeare).  David Crosby's great of course; balancing strength and sweetness can be tricky, but he manages to a lot of the time.  Brendan Perry's pipes impart a rich warmth, despite the sometimes attendant pomposity, while Gene Parsons achieves similar by operating as far from pomposity as you can get—just a lovely reassuring voice (I wish he'd been given a bash at more Byrd tunes). Susanne Abbuehl does some nice jazz vox, thoughtful and lambent.  I'd also chuck in Serge Gainsbourg.

Mr Banlon

Joyce Moreno
Minnie Riperton
Chico Buarque
Mariza

phantom_power

Laurie Anderson's speaking voice on O Superman is very pleasant and mellifluous

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on June 01, 2021, 07:39:27 AM
Laurie Anderson's speaking voice on O Superman is very pleasant and mellifluous

The vocoder link jogged my memory and made me realise we'd all neglected to include Imogen Heap, who sounds lovely vocoder or not.

NoSleep