Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Royle Family 08 to 12

Started by Leej88, May 29, 2021, 08:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

It is so sad to see this great series reduced to these specials which are unfunny and is like the actors forgot how to play the characters.

Malcy

There's some great laughs in the specials and it's one of those shows that it's good just to be in the company of the characters so lesser quality doesn't really matter.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Malcy on May 29, 2021, 10:01:39 PM
There's some great laughs in the specials and it's one of those shows that it's good just to be in the company of the characters so lesser quality doesn't really matter.

I agree in theory, but those specials were so bad that it didn't feel like you were spending time in the company of the characters you had grown to know over the previous episodes. One of them thought a banana in a bowl of WKD was a cocktail..they were supposed to be simple and free of pretence, they weren't supposed to be brain damaged.

Leej88

I did laugh at certain stuff in the New Sofa but the whole 5p tirade got old Dave's Dad is nothing like how he was described in series 1 and Dave bathing with the Turkey is so bad.

sevendaughters

the bit with the sat nav jealousy was so so stupid and shit

Leej88

Why was Mary killed off? Did the actress not wanna come back.

Malcy

Quote from: Leej88 on May 29, 2021, 10:20:37 PM
Why was Mary killed off? Did the actress not wanna come back.

I think she wasn't well enough to return.

Leej88

Joe should have stayed basically a mute when he started talking all the time was not funny at all.

Steven88

Quote from: Leej88 on May 29, 2021, 08:42:18 PM
It is so sad to see this great series reduced to these specials which are unfunny and is like the actors forgot how to play the characters.
After rewatching recently I thought there was a decline in quality by Series 3, The Queen of Sheba was well done but still not generally up to the standard of the first two series.
I've always preferred Early Doors overall, I think it was better because they only did two series and it got a good ending.

Leej88

Queen of Sheba is hard to watch cause of Nana's death was Ricky Tomlinson told to tone down how nasty Jim was by series 3 cause in the specials is like he has forgotten how to play him.

Mark X

Craig Cash is currently doing one of the voices (alongside John Thomson) in CBeebies' Dog Loves Books, where he plays simple-minded sidekick Pug - a Pliny-esque idiot full of questions about every situation because he just doesn't understand much, bless 'im. Despite being a show aimed to pre-schoolers, Craig Cash's vocal delivery really isn't too different from late-era "Sowwy everyone, I done a trump" Dave in the Royle Family specials.

jobotic

Leej88

He and the Late Caroline did share vocal duties on Gogglebox which I like to think is cause Dave and Denise sat on their asses and Watched TV.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The absolute nadir of those specials was the one where they went on holiday in mid --autumn, in that caravan somewhere in Wales, I think ( " there's no chip pan'", ha fucking ha), and we learn that Twiggy ( Geoffrey Hughes character, not the former 60s starlet) is banged up in jail, and they act like boorish, ignorant louts, chucking cans of piss out of the car, and hassling their caravan neighbours cos they want to watch " The One Show" on their telly. We also * really* didn't need to see Jim's skidmarked undies. It was like fan fiction written by somebody who hated the show.

neveragain

I agree with everything Leej88 has said in this thread!

jsgibble

Series 3 and the post-Queen of Sheba specials were the only bits of it that were directed by Aherne, so that might be a factor.

With both I found them pretty amiable in places but I don't disagree with the consensus on them. It's a shame.

ajsmith2

I still can't totally understand how Aherne and Cash, who'd crafted it with such care and realism in the early years, could let their own auteurs creation sink so low and betray everything it was meant to be about so entirely.

Leej88

Geoffrey Hughes had died at that point so it sad knowing he would not be in anymore but this was the last one.

Leej88

Your right the first 3 series feel so real is like your watching real convos like a fly on the wall.

thr0b

It was ruined by the time series 3 rolled around. Rather than being about the family, it became a vehicle for Ricky Tomlinson to do his catchphrases for most of the episode. The whole family became thick, rather than poor.

The episode where they dance for approximately 60 minutes of the 30 minute episode while miming to Mambo Number 5, that's when it was clear that it was all over.

mrClaypole

Quote from: thr0b on May 30, 2021, 04:35:29 PM
It was ruined by the time series 3 rolled around. Rather than being about the family, it became a vehicle for Ricky Tomlinson to do his catchphrases for most of the episode. The whole family became thick, rather than poor.

The episode where they dance for approximately 60 minutes of the 30 minute episode while miming to Mambo Number 5, that's when it was clear that it was all over.

That seems to be a trope of a sitcom written by Craig Cash he does love to throw a song in.  Even Early doors had that episode where Duffy would play "miss you nights " by Cliff on the jukebox constantly after his wife left him. Plus there were other instances of the regulars bursting into song.  He's either got ambitions to write a musical or he's trying to create a top 100 sitcoms moment.

I agree though that those last 3 specials were absolutely dreadful.  I remember the first one watching on Xmas day with the family after spending the whole day looking forward to watching it, we sat there stony faced as it descended into the broad shite it became.  We never spoke of it again.

Leej88

Should have left it after Queen of Sheba.

thr0b

Quote from: Leej88 on May 30, 2021, 05:24:48 PM
Should have left it after Queen of Sheba.

Agreed. If they had to bring it back, that was a decent episode to end it on.

Leej88

Joe's Crackers, The Golden Egg Cup, and Barbara's Ring all been forgotten New Sofa is remembered cause of how stupid the Turkey thing is Jim's half-assed performance and Dave Sr not being anything like how he was described in Series 1 Peg leg Work Shy and Lazy.