Author Topic: Is Scream by Janet and Michael Jackson brilliant?  (Read 1930 times)

TheMonk

• Hello folks
Re: Is Scream by Janet and Michael Jackson brilliant?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 11:29:10 PM »
There is so much music in the world. Stranger In Moscow is not a good enough song to ignore what he got up to. It’s bloody disgusting. I’ve heard those songs enough. Every time I hear one in a supermarket I feel ill. But each to their own.

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 11:30:04 PM »
Stranger in Moscow is based on the credit music for Sonic 3, isn't it

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 11:34:57 PM »
Yeah he reused parts of it, he sold out Sega which IMO is the worst crime of all

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 11:49:57 PM »
 I can't listen Michael Jackson at all these days, not now we know exactly what happened on Angel Island with all the Chaos Emeralds.

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 02:37:50 AM »
He was unable to liberate himself from the scandals and the paranoia and his propensity for the infantile and it neutered his ability to write accessible pop songs.
Yeah, that's in a nutshell why I prefer Janet: she made records about more universal experiences, e.g. the brilliant "That's the Way Love Goes". Even "Control", which is pretty autobiographical, it's still turned into something anybody can relate to. Michael's records are projections of his paranoid, lonely mind, and nothing else, there's no room for the listener, except as a fan (and with Leave Me Alone and Billie Jean, it's pretty clear that the fans are not really welcome either).

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »
I think Jackson's contributions to Sonic 3 are conflated with those of his keyboardist Brad Buxer. Stranger in Moscow and the end credits music are undeniably similar and the Jetzons song Hard Times was used for the Ice Cap Zone. Aside from the Jam-style breakdown fill in the Carnival Night zone I'm not sure I'm aware of any other Buxer/Jackson music in Sonic 3. Which has one of the best Mega Drive soundtracks anyway (alongside its companion Sonic and Knuckles as composed by Howard Drossin).

madhair60

• わたしは価値がないと感じます
  • Golden Member
  • ほっといてくれ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »
There is so much music in the world. Stranger In Moscow is not a good enough song to ignore what he got up to. It’s bloody disgusting. I’ve heard those songs enough. Every time I hear one in a supermarket I feel ill. But each to their own.

Not Guilty verdict = Not Guilty madhair. the law is infallible.

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
michael jackson sat down and programmed all of sonic 3 his bastard self front to back, did the voices, the art, the lot

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2021, 08:48:41 PM »
Even bummed Tails

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2021, 11:41:13 PM »
Even bummed Tails

Interesting thing about Tails is that where most people have one he has two so he both is and isn't a bum virgin if you get what I mean.

Before he could fly Sonic  used to carry him around like a 6 pack. Canon.

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2021, 01:01:16 PM »
Just listening now and the only problem with Scream is the weakness of Janet's voice when heard directly alongside Michael's like this. He was a force of nature vocally even when his best material was behind him, its undeniable. Janet meanwhile sounds like an anonymous fan singing along. She may have made good records and been more relatable (and not descended into acute mental illness or been accused of horrendous child abuse) but to say she was ever the greater talent is silly.

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
I'll grant you he's more distinctive, but he's just too relentlessly intense, I can't hear any subtlety. In a way, I agree with what you're saying about him being "a force of nature", it's just that I hear that very quality as a sort of inhumanity.

The Mollusk

• guaranteed tremendous
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
Strong wind is a force of nature and I fucking hate strong wind

TheMonk

• Hello folks
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2021, 03:27:02 PM »
I used to be a Michael Jackson fan. But it always meant ignoring a lot. The egotism, the crap ballads, the silly poses, the embarrassing showmanship, the awful music videos (with a few exceptions) … for a handful of decent tunes.
To sit and watch that doco and (more convincingly) the Oprah interview with the now grown boys that stayed in his bedroom. There’s only one of two conclusion you can come to. They are bloody incredible actors that deserve awards or Michael Jackson was a disgusting human.
Either way to decide I’d heard enough of Thriller and Off The Wall over the years was freeing. You won’t miss his music. Do it. Cut him off.
 The stuff I liked was often down to Quincy Jones and collaborators like Rod Temperton anyway. Life is better without his presence. Creep.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »
I did try it, and I did miss it. Too selfish to give that music up to make some kind of moral point (that's how I see it, that's not a judgement on you like).

TheMonk

• Hello folks
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2021, 02:42:49 AM »
I did try it, and I did miss it. Too selfish to give that music up to make some kind of moral point (that's how I see it, that's not a judgement on you like).
Fair enough. I’ll admit I’ve now got a craving for Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough that Boogie Wonderland is tasked with fulfilling.

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2021, 01:20:53 AM »
Not even Popcorn's remix of Smooth Criminal?

Popcorn! From here!

Only the song Smooth Criminal could have been !!!

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2021, 01:25:03 AM »
If anything I've got more into MJ since the last round of paedogeddon. It doesn't put me off the music at all. I am perfectly capable of holding these things separately in my mind.

I think Jackson's contributions to Sonic 3 are conflated with those of his keyboardist Brad Buxer.

The Sonic 3 contributions were definitely created by the MJ team more than MJ himself, but that's true of pretty much all his music generally.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2021, 07:33:08 AM »
Level 2 of Master System/Game Gear Sonic 1 sounds like Janet's Together Again
https://youtu.be/-D00HFMfmro?t=515

Tags: