Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
The tedious voice of despair probably comes from the fact that he is actually doing work that is related to this pandemic and knows more than we do?

Easier to be happy and positive when you're ignorant I suppose.

The funny thing is, I feel no despair about COVID. We're on a long journey out, there will be far fewer deaths. It is what comes after that will be the real danger. The slip into totalitarianism that we are already seeing - the battle lines drawn down many issues. Climate change and inevitable war will do for us. Disease is just one other symptom of a collapsing Earth. We can address these at a local or regional scale, but I don't see any real efforts at national or global scales. Stop tub-thumping about China and Russia, stop giving voices to climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, destroy Rupert Murdoch and anything that will come in his wake. Overthrow the Australian government.

Not going to happen very easily. Find happiness in your own way.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2021, 12:41:19 PM
I don't really think that excuse cuts it. My fiancee works for a disaster response charity alongside the government and for the last 18 months she's been coordinating international aid response programs for COVID, including a 5 week period last year where she was deployed overseas to help directly oversee one such program. She's entrenched in this stuff and also has to suffer the incremental shitshow of funding cuts to overseas aid which immediately and directly affects the tireless work efforts of herself and her company. Alongside all this, she's had to cope with not being able to see her elderly and physically disabled parents for extended periods of time during the worst of the lockdowns (where before she'd visit once or twice a week). In spite of all this, she is a continually strong-willed, pragmatic and loving person with an endless resolve to make things better and to compassionately understand the plight of others.

I know this:

was intended as sarcasm, but it's compassion that works in these roles, not optimism. Optimism can be - and often is - a fruitless endeavour, but you've got to try and understand what other people are going through. If you're constantly jumping on the internet to be like BAD STATISTICS, LOL GRANNY'S GONNA DIE, BEER AND A BURGER during a global pandemic which has ravaged the physical and mental health conditions of millions of people worldwide, with almost no trace of irony visible to the casual reader who doesn't realise you're actually the forum king of black comedy, your levels of compassion need some work.

I am compassionate. if you met me in person, I would be compassionate. find your own way, my friend.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thelittlemango on July 31, 2021, 11:02:18 PM
No offence, your fiancee sounds like she's doing sterling work under great pressure, but it's not really relevant in this case when comparing to The Blodwyn Pig.

One is in disaster relief, dealing with the after effects of covid 19 and managing that, and the other is on the analysis side and first-hand studying rates of infection in the general publics rancid turds in various parts of the UK on a daily basis.

It makes sense that your fiancee has a more positive viewpoint as that is beneficial in that role, but Blodwyn is involved in data and trends and so there's little scope to give a positive outlook if all signs are pointing towards various shades of fuckdown.

And this is from someone who is still embarrassed on Blodwyn's behalf for his Buelligan-esque flounce during Mafia.

Yes, Mollusk's fiancee is indeed to be applauded. I am not splurging out what I really do on here, but its far more than just data analysis. We (that is a big We) have worked tirelessly in delivering an array of knowledge and support to decision-makers in the UK and internationally, from sampling strategies, to lab analysis methods, to modelling. Most of the time this was at a hare's pace and there were mistakes made, or we were ignored by higher-ups. Now those higher-ups are confident there is no need for our input and are choking the funding, so we are having to work harder than ever to demonstrate the worth of the programme beyond the pandemic - which is where it will be truly revolutionary for a range of stressors (pathogenic, mental health, antimicrobial resistance etc). The EU are doing similar work on their Sentinel system. That is where the optimism lies, having massive buy in from public and private sectors has been amazing. the new SOS, however, is apparently trying to torpedo this. but what I have found amazing, is that no-one hangs their heads and gives up, the CS is remarkably adaptable and adept in reimagining purpose as a noose gets tighter. So there is a lot of positivity in general. I really hope that this positivity and passion filters upwards. MH*nc*ck would have been so much better in ensuring delivery, for all his failings.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
The tedious voice of despair probably comes from the fact that he is actually doing work that is related to this pandemic and knows more than we do?

Fairly obviously isn't and doesn't, though. He's never demonstrated knowledge above a "reasonably smart bloke who's skimmed an abstract" level, and whenever anyone asks him for actual insight or analysis he immediately disappears into a puff of obtuse nonsense or goes all "woah mate top secret more than my job's worth", since his role apparently hits the incredibly specific band of secrecy where constant doomy hints and namedropping are fine, but actually saying anything is verboten..

He's just Some Cunt. Crazy that he's suckered so many ostensibly clever folks.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on August 01, 2021, 04:30:30 PM
Fairly obviously isn't and doesn't, though. He's never demonstrated knowledge above a "reasonably smart bloke who's skimmed an abstract" level, and whenever anyone asks him for actual insight or analysis he immediately disappears into a puff of obtuse nonsense or goes all "woah mate top secret more than my job's worth", since his role apparently hits the incredibly specific band of secrecy where constant doomy hints and namedropping are fine, but actually saying anything is verboten..

He's just Some Cunt. Crazy that he's suckered so many ostensibly clever folks.

What the fuck is this? This is offensive. Apologise. If this was a major scientific conference or even a symposium, I'd understand, but last time I looked, no-one was paying me to do a job here. I post what I feel like, and I'm not arsed otherwise, I'm too tired doing my proper job to pander to the sensitivities of your ilk. If you don't like it fine, I accept that, but to get personal like this is abhorrent. Horrible stuff.

That stuff in bold is brutal and in reality far from reality. Now please stop this roasting.

jamiefairlie

hee-hee, that's very good :-)

Drygate

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 01, 2021, 09:59:53 AM
Overthrow the Australian government.

Any reason why them over any other government?

mobias

Really good short interview with Prof John Edmunds here https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=544376463428144

He makes the interesting point that looking at the bigger picture there's really only been one wave of covid so far and we're coming out of it now.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Drygate on August 02, 2021, 09:20:20 AM
Any reason why them over any other government?

"Australian coal burnt overseas creates nearly twice the nation's domestic emissions"
QuoteEmissions from coal mined in Australia but exported and burnt overseas were almost double the nation's domestic greenhouse gas footprint in 2020, according to new data.

Australia and Indonesia were the biggest exporters of coal for making steel and burning in power stations, together accounting for 59% of the world's seaborne coal market.

When countries report their national emissions to the United Nations, only fossil fuels burned domestically are counted. But the impacts of the CO2 on the climate are the same, whether they are burned in Australia or overseas.
A quiet main road in Sydney's northern beaches in December 2020 during the coronavirus lockdown.
Covid sent Australia's carbon emissions plummeting in 2020 to lowest levels in 30 years
Read more

Earlier this week the government's latest emissions data showed greenhouse gas emissions had dropped to a 30-year low of 499Mt of CO2e, thanks mostly to the Covid-19 pandemic and increasing amounts of renewable energy replacing coal.

But the new data, compiled by the UK-based pro-renewables thinktank Ember, says emissions from Australian coal burned overseas released 895Mt of CO2 into the atmosphere, with 460Mt of that coming from coal used in power stations.

QuoteThe Climate Change Performance Index ranked Australia last out of 57 countries responsible for more than 90% of greenhouse gas emissions on climate policy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Relieved for NHS staff to see the new hospitalisations tailing off a bit. Not the end with autumn and winter on the way but to know it isn't going to reach the heights it could have, and that current activity which is close to being back to normal (+ sensibles wearing masks) is in the next 6 weeks anyway, not going to make anything massively worse.

Fambo Number Mive

Even the one thing Johnson boasts about in parliament and tries to link the Conservative Party to as much as possible isn't going as well as in several countries in the EU: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/06/six-eu-states-overtake-uk-covid-vaccination-britain-rollout-slows

Ferris

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The drop off in UK cases has stopped dropping off and started increasing again so looks like the Euros was a spike within a spike.

Bronzy

Cloud

Ferris

I hope so.

I know I err on the optimistic side in here, but I'm really hopeful we can move towards normality. Not a massive fan of the levelling of UK case numbers though.

Fambo Number Mive

I hope another lockdown won't be needed but I can imagine that masks on public transport and in shops might need to be brought back this winter. It was very stupid of the government to get rid of the mask mandate in the first place given that people who really couldn't wear a mask were exempt. Perhaps if we'd kept masks on public transport and in shops less people might be having to isolate now.

MrMrs

There never was a fucking mandate

metaltax

Quote from: MrMrs on August 09, 2021, 12:08:08 AM
There never was a fucking mandate

I'd like to see your definition of a mandate.

jobotic

Two fellas at a restaurant?

George Oscar Bluth II

Genuine question cos I don't know but: what's the deaths per day from flu in a bad flu season?

gib

Alberon

COVID 19 is going to be with us for decades. Is it going to be mostly taking its deaths each year from the group most likely to die of flu or are we going to see roughly a doubling of seasonal virus deaths each year?

The family next door were going to France yesterday to visit relatives, but the mother tested positive and today so did their eight year old daughter. Fortunately, they've had no symptoms, but it's really the first time since Mrs Alberon probably had it early last year that it has felt this close to us.

Zetetic

Quote from: Alberon on August 11, 2021, 11:18:22 PM
COVID 19 is going to be with us for decades. Is it going to be mostly taking its deaths each year from the group most likely to die of flu or are we going to see roughly a doubling of seasonal virus deaths each year?
I'd vaguely imagine that if we're lucky it's going to be something closer to the former, but the possibility of simultaneous or sequential infection will add another load of deaths. But we do see considerable variation in "winter" deaths every year already, via luck with flu strains and vaccination to some extent, but also harvesting and the fundamental tendency to produce waves. (This speculation completely ignores how limited the 'ViD vaccines seem to be at containing spread.)

But long-'ViD adds a rather different dimension to all this.

Drygate

Quote from: Zetetic on August 11, 2021, 11:37:59 PM
But long-'ViD adds a rather different dimension to all this.

Is there more long covid than other types of post viral issues?

MojoJojo

Long covid is so badly defined it's basically impossible to give a meaningful answer to that.

(as I've previously mentioned, the coverage of long covid is so bad I struggle not to dismiss it out of hand. Apologies to all those suffering.)