Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Drygate

Is it all riding on better vaccines coming out and/or the booster approach working and being able to be rolled out in time for Xmas?

Alberon

I dunno about better vaccines. They might have to tinker with them as COVID mutates like they do with the flu shots each year, but I don't think they'll ever get substantially better than they are now.

Everyone is waiting to see how long immunity lasts with the current vaccines.

ElTwopo

Quote from: Alberon on September 04, 2021, 09:44:43 AM
At the moment it's in the 'very bad' rather than the 'catastrophic' zone. There's two hurdles to come. Schools and universities going back and then the winter.

I wonder how many offices are also going to be re-opening. Ours does next week (we're required to go in once a week, but no more if we don't want to), and I imagine others will follow suit when furlough ends at the end of the month.

JamesTC

The vaccines as they currently protect are an absolute miracle. Seems churlish to dismiss what science has achieved with them.

Yes they will improve with booster shots but they have already saved millions upon millions of lives and brought us significantly closer to ending the pandemic. Might not be enough on their own (almost certainly won't be) but the achievement is one of the greatest in human history.

Cloud

It seems to be affecting older people again as the "layer 1" immunity wears off, the interesting thing will be to see if it translates to hospitalisations.  Maybe they will even go down if (I don't have the stats) it was catching more of the younger/unvaccinated.  If the "layer 2" (vs. Severe illness) immunity holds which all indications show it doing, then now it's returning to people who are at less risk of hospitalisation.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: JamesTC on September 04, 2021, 09:01:41 PM
The vaccines as they currently protect are an absolute miracle. Seems churlish to dismiss what science has achieved with them.

Yes they will improve with booster shots but they have already saved millions upon millions of lives and brought us significantly closer to ending the pandemic. Might not be enough on their own (almost certainly won't be) but the achievement is one of the greatest in human history.

Where is this happening, sorry?

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 05, 2021, 12:16:15 AM
Where is this happening, sorry?

Things like asking "is it worth waiting until better vaccines come out?". Questions asked by otherwise reasonable people who see the headline stories saying 40% of infections are in vaccinated people, or whatever.

It has not been made clear enough in the media that these are some of the most effective and efficient vaccines ever created, turned around in just a few months thanks to the advancement in the science of vaccination.

Zetetic

Quote from: Alberon on September 04, 2021, 09:44:43 AM
if they can cope with Covid and all the normal stuff they do, large amounts of which has had to be postponed during large parts of the pandemic.
The health services of the UK haven't been able to cope with all the normal stuff for several years.

And perhaps the most significant impact of COVID-19 now is capacity, not demand. Almost every single part of the service is now in a novel acute workforce crisis on top of the decades-long workforce crises.

George Oscar Bluth II

Predictably the people most outraged about this are the ones who won't do things to help avoid flooding the hospitals like get jabbed or wear a mask on the train. Cunts.

Chollis

One final fuckdown, for the lads?

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on September 07, 2021, 10:53:40 AM
One final fuckdown, for the lads?

Could be on for a chekky fuckdown yeah

JamesTC

Close the pubs so we can OPEN THE PUBS

poo

nailed-on fuckdown this winter

Fambo Number Mive

Rate of new vaccinations seems to be getting lower. I suspect a large proportion of the other 10.2% of over 16s who have not had one jab will be the anti-vaxxers.

mothman

When my eldest went for her first, she was told she might not get the second anytime soon/at all, to ensure there were sufficient stocks to give everyone at least one jab...

olliebean

Quote from: mothman on September 07, 2021, 04:40:19 PM
When my eldest went for her first, she was told she might not get the second anytime soon/at all, to ensure there were sufficient stocks to give everyone at least one jab...

Seriously? I thought it had been established that one jab is pretty much useless against Delta. Sounds like it's more about bumping up the numbers of people who've "had the jab" rather than ensuring people are fully vaccinated.

Fambo Number Mive

Less than 5% of people wearing masks on the bus into Oxford. Lots of White Rose stickers around Cowley Road by the Plain. Less than 5% of people wearing masks on the bus out of Oxford, and this bus was really full as a previous bus had broken down.

I suppose most people don't pay attention to the hospitalisations or deaths any more. 191 deaths within 28 days of a positive test today, 933 patients admitted with covid. How can you see that and not wear a mask on the bus (unless medically exempt) to protect others.

The White Rose crew have won.

Ferris

I'd guess apathy has won, more than anything. It's hard to make everyone alter their behaviour and once it slips, that's sort of it.

It's one of the reasons I am so utterly opposed to removing mask mandates in my little corner of Canada that has had fuck all cases and zero community spread for months - once you say "ok, we won't make you do this but for the safety of your fellow citizens we ask you to do it voluntarily" people in general will read the first half of the sentence and call it a day. Back to normal lads! And case counts and deaths become background noise to be handily ignored (until it affects you personally). That's human nature.

What has been fascinating for a sociology nerd like me is that the pandemic has largely stopped all travel and migration, so every country's citizens have largely stayed within their own borders and developed their own informal rule sets and codified actions for their day to day life. Example - my parents came to stay with us from the UK to Canada and they're some of the most anxious people I know about covid.

...and yet! They were unfamiliar with certain kinds of masks and regularly forgot to bring them places, were baffled when people politely declined their cash and requested card payments, and said things like "oh well I'm only going to nip inside for a few minutes so surely I don't need a mask for that". They're not idiots, they've just lived the last 18 months in the UK and have adopted British social behaviours that seemed really different (and frankly, more lax and bad) from the ones I have lived with for the same time period. By the same token, their talk of R-rates was alien to me because we don't do that though it's probably a better way to think about it.

It's the first time in modern history that countries have evolved their own protocols from scratch for the same problem with minimal outside input, and the differences are really interesting (to me, anyway). There's a PhD in that somewhere.

jamiefairlie

Yeah this 'back to normal' thing is just illusion over facts isn't it? There's no consistency over the reaction to infection rates, it's like a collective sticking their fingers in their ears and going la la la.

Winter's going to be a fucking disaster and people will die unnecessarily but who fucking cares eh, we need to fun stuff again. Maybe we should start to charge people with manslaughter.

Fambo Number Mive

I was thinking while seething inside on the bus, what would help would be a lot of LED display boards driven around local areas with the most recent case counts, number of deaths and number in hospital. Perhaps "192 died on the 8th September from COVID" might make people realise how serious the situation is.

And/or some billboards telling people how bad things really are.

And no doubt many of the maskless people I saw on the bus today will refuse to comply if there is another lockdown, causing it to be extended further and further.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 05:13:06 PMwe need to fun stuff again

I mean, we actually do have to at some point.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on September 08, 2021, 06:51:42 PM

When it's safe to do so. My fun should not contribute to another's death, these are not notions that should ever be part of a balancing calculation.

Cuellar

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on September 08, 2021, 06:51:42 PM

But do we, that's the thing though. Do we really? What was fun?

Fambo Number Mive

I do wonder when I will ever feel safe going to a pub or for an indoor meal again, two things I have not done since Feb 2020, partly because of people who refuse to wear masks or have windows open on buses keeping the case count high. These people are helping to damage the economy, they don't care about other people but you'd think they'd worry about the economy which affects them.

I do go into non essential shops but I always double masks and keep a distance from others.

No orgies, same as before the pandemic

Drygate

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 06:54:35 PM
When it's safe to do so. My fun should not contribute to another's death, these are not notions that should ever be part of a balancing calculation.

Everything has a consequence. Where do you draw the line?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Drygate on September 08, 2021, 07:31:26 PM
Everything has a consequence. Where do you draw the line?

This one's obvious, we stop doing voluntary fun activities and let more live. It's a stark choice.

We need to buy time until we get more people vaccinated and we know more about the longitudinal outlook.

Drygate

What do you consider voluntary fun activities?

It's tricky as things like socialiaing and exercise have positive health benefits. Under what circumstances should they be banned?

Why not call for the vaccine rollout to be stepped up rather than banning things?

gib

Quote from: Cuellar on September 08, 2021, 06:58:46 PM
But do we, that's the thing though. Do we really? What was fun?

your mum