Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Miracles (Jackie Chan, 1989)

Started by Chedney Honks, June 01, 2021, 09:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

aka Mr Canton and Lady Rose

aka The Canton Godfather

I watched this for the second time last night after seeing it in fits and starts a few months ago, and I liked it even more this time around. It's predominantly a screwball comedy which happens to have some outstanding action sequences rather than an action movie with set pieces thinly strung together. It might be the best Jackie Chan film, purely from a comedy perspective.

It's also written and directed by Jackie and it's clear that he wants to show his chops. There are lots of sumptuous shots and sweeping camera movements through the sets and as a pure visual spectacle, I think it works really well overall. The production design and costumes and locations look excellent, they really sell the period and the atmosphere, albeit with a stylised touch.

It's about a migrant worker who is thrust into the role of mob boss by a quirk of fate, and as he grows into the position, he seeks to help out a flower lady who he knew from day one. Her daughter is coming to visit with her fiancé's family after many years away, but she doesn't know her mum is only a humble pedlar. Cue lots of farce and near-misses as the scenario becomes ever more convoluted, culminating in an absolutely spectacular finale.

The first time around, I was expecting the story to develop more in terms of Jackie's mob career so I tuned out of the 'side plot' with the flower lady and the film seemed to drag. This time, I knew what I was getting and I enjoyed it much more as a result. There is a chunk of turf war stuff in here but I was expecting Police Story with mobsters, which is far from what I got. There's also a fairly underdeveloped romance with Anita Mui, who is brilliant here, but that's in line with most other Jackie Chan movies.

Flawed as it is, why does the film merit its own thread?

I think if you go in with the expectation that this is a screwball farce, the film really succeeds. It's funny, sumptuous and quite heartwarming. You do need a certain stomach for 80s goofy HK humour but the cast are superb. Lots of familiar faces near the top of their game and this is the reason for the film's success. The main action sequences which punctuate the film are tremendous, as well. The finale in the rope factory is a proper jaw dropper, one of my favourite sequences of any of his movies. Lots of swinging and dangling and falling off ropes and ladders. I'd also give a final word to the soundtrack and title song. It's catchy, cute and nails the vibe. The montage sequence with Anita Mui singing 'Rose, Rose, I love you' over the scenes of club glamour and mob violence is the best thing Jackie has directed.

I watched the 88 Films release on Blu-ray and it's a cracker, the best the film is ever likely to look. If you keep a couple of caveats in mind, this is warmly recommended.

Magnum Valentino

Watched it last night as well and the action set pieces are better than anything I've seen outside Police Story 1. Just a shame no one was kicked backwards through a window as is often the case. I didn't think it was as funny as it was supposed to be but I agree it looks amazing and is evidence that Jackie very much belonged behind the camera as well as in front of it.

Watched the shorter cut, in English. Did you watch the HK cut Cheds?

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 01, 2021, 02:25:01 PM
Watched the shorter cut, in English. Did you watch the HK cut Cheds?

I did, actually, yeah. I will give the International Cut a go next time. I suspect it's better for it to trim some of the repeated jokes and superfluous dialogue. I'm not sure exactly what cuts there are but it's a good twenty minutes and it really doesn't need to be a two hour film to say what it wants to.

Totally agree with you about the action. I think it beats Meals on Wheels and Project A, and they're both fantastic. It's really not far off Police Story and maybe better in some respects because there's more 1v1 combat with that one lad.