Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:29:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Comic Strip Presents

Started by Leej88, June 01, 2021, 02:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: Leej88 on June 01, 2021, 08:07:43 PM
Sex Actually is bad Sheridan looks great in it though.

oh GOD yes

jobotic

Mr Jolly is probably the thing I quote most (in my head, I'm not an arsehole).

Got a train through Elephant & Castle on Sunday. No one knew I was there.

Rik Mayall lighting a fag, taking one puff and then stamping it out has always stayed with me.

DrGreggles

Quote from: jobotic on June 02, 2021, 10:08:39 AM
Elephant & Castle

Stick it up your arsehole!

I'm not sure I was aware of Nicholas 'BLOODY' Parsons before I saw MJLND.

I remember in the Yob the transformed character gets an overdose of his potion and turns not into a football yob but a rent boy!

kalowski

"Barmy fluid? Right, I'll have some of that!"
Best are Mr Jolly, Fistful of Travellers' Cheques and the utterly perfect Strike!

jobotic

"What could be better than living above an off-licence?

Living in one?"

I promised I wouldn't do this.

I also have to bite my tongue whenever I hear tonic water mentioned.

markburgle

Demonella is a load of wank. I remember one with Peter Capaldi in the lead and the only laugh was he got a ride home after a late night in the bucket of a digger, which plonks him down in an amusingly slapstick way.

I like the serial killer one, movie psycho juxtaposed with humdrum "real life" psycho

Pink Gregory

Wasn't there a Comic Strip where a woman tugs the front of a man's jockstrap, stretching it, then lets it snap back into place and hit his genitals to put him in his place?  It might have been at a poolside/beachside setting.  Was that a Comic Strip episode or am I mixing it up with something else?

Flouncer

I just rewatched Slags and I still think it's great! I love the schlocky dystopian atmosphere and the soundtrack is wonderful! Lots of lovely analog synths and it's really effective. Several moments that made me laugh out loud - some that fell flat as well but on the whole I found it really enjoyable. Definitely one of my favourites.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 02, 2021, 09:41:25 AM
Aside from crowdpleasers like Bad News and Five Go Mad In Dorset, a lot of them seem very specifically pitched, so it becomes very personal as to whether they're on your comic wavelength or not.

This is a good assessment, I think.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 02, 2021, 09:41:25 AMI loved Didn't You Kill My Brother and Mr Jolly but didn't get on with Fistful of Travellers Checks at all.

Personally Fistful is probably my second favourite, after Mr. Jolly - it just goes to show how much it's down to your personal taste as to whether an episode clicks with you or not.

neveragain

I really enjoy Demonella, a good old-fashioned Gothic comic short story. The more surreal ones like Les Dog and War are also firm favourites of mine. As mentioned, Gregory: Diary of a Nutcase is great satire of violent movies and the issues surrounding them.

McChesney Duntz

I will contribute only my usual comment when the subject of this show comes up: "Private Enterprise" is severely underrated.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 04, 2021, 03:51:47 PM
I will contribute only my usual comment when the subject of this show comes up: "Private Enterprise" is severely underrated.
That one written by Adrian Edmonson , featuring Rik Mayall as a band member, sporting a very 1986 hairstyle? Naw, It's crap.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 04, 2021, 04:31:00 PM
That one written by Adrian Edmonson , featuring Rik Mayall as a band member, sporting a very 1986 hairstyle? Naw, It's crap.

Guess you showed me.

DrGreggles

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 04, 2021, 03:51:47 PM

Yes, I like that one.

Contains the world's shittest extra too.
https://youtu.be/RarEupWeyLQ?t=1837

Mister Six

The bloke who says "Watch it"? Isn't he directed to act like that? I figured it was a gag, like the guard who belatedly says "Hey..." after one of the Knights charges up, stabs his mate and rushes past them into the castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

DrGreggles

I think he might just be terrible.

It gets a laugh from me though, which cant be said for a lot of Comic Strips.

Echo Valley 2-6809

I think it's meant to be funny that the cigarette drops out of his mouth, but that probably wasn't enough so the deliberately lame "Watch it!" was dubbed on later.
I agree with Mister Six about the possible Python inspiration for that bit.

Leej88

Private Hire is not funny though not once did I laugh.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on June 05, 2021, 12:52:36 AM
I think it's meant to be funny that the cigarette drops out of his mouth, but that probably wasn't enough so the deliberately lame "Watch it!" was dubbed on later.
I agree with Mister Six about the possible Python inspiration for that bit.

I think you're both giving them FAR too much credit!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Leej88 on June 01, 2021, 05:59:20 PM
The Strike is ok I guess obvs a parody of America and the film industry making films for general audiences and all the historical inaccuracies not bad just not really funny.

Without knowing how old you are, I think how you view Strike comes down to when you watched it. The jokes it makes have been imitated a lot, so if you only saw it more recently, it might suffer from familiarity