Author Topic: The Comic Strip Presents  (Read 2452 times)

the science eel

• married to Su Pollard for 8 years
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
Re: The Comic Strip Presents
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
Sex Actually is bad Sheridan looks great in it though.

oh GOD yes

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »
Mr Jolly is probably the thing I quote most (in my head, I'm not an arsehole).

Got a train through Elephant & Castle on Sunday. No one knew I was there.

Rik Mayall lighting a fag, taking one puff and then stamping it out has always stayed with me.

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 10:20:56 AM »
Elephant & Castle

Stick it up your arsehole!

I'm not sure I was aware of Nicholas 'BLOODY' Parsons before I saw MJLND.

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »
I remember in the Yob the transformed character gets an overdose of his potion and turns not into a football yob but a rent boy!

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 10:33:01 AM »
"Barmy fluid? Right, I'll have some of that!"
Best are Mr Jolly, Fistful of Travellers' Cheques and the utterly perfect Strike!

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
"What could be better than living above an off-licence?

Living in one?"

I promised I wouldn't do this.

I also have to bite my tongue whenever I hear tonic water mentioned.

markburgle

• A flavourless mush I call Rootmarm
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 11:56:27 AM »
Demonella is a load of wank. I remember one with Peter Capaldi in the lead and the only laugh was he got a ride home after a late night in the bucket of a digger, which plonks him down in an amusingly slapstick way.

I like the serial killer one, movie psycho juxtaposed with humdrum "real life" psycho

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »
Toe-nic wa'ar?

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
Wasn't there a Comic Strip where a woman tugs the front of a man's jockstrap, stretching it, then lets it snap back into place and hit his genitals to put him in his place?  It might have been at a poolside/beachside setting.  Was that a Comic Strip episode or am I mixing it up with something else?

Flouncer

• See ya on the other side, ya goddamn cracker ass!
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2021, 12:56:18 AM »
I just rewatched Slags and I still think it's great! I love the schlocky dystopian atmosphere and the soundtrack is wonderful! Lots of lovely analog synths and it's really effective. Several moments that made me laugh out loud - some that fell flat as well but on the whole I found it really enjoyable. Definitely one of my favourites.

Aside from crowdpleasers like Bad News and Five Go Mad In Dorset, a lot of them seem very specifically pitched, so it becomes very personal as to whether they're on your comic wavelength or not.

This is a good assessment, I think.

I loved Didn't You Kill My Brother and Mr Jolly but didn't get on with Fistful of Travellers Checks at all.

Personally Fistful is probably my second favourite, after Mr. Jolly - it just goes to show how much it's down to your personal taste as to whether an episode clicks with you or not.

neveragain

• Edited by Paul Merton
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »
I really enjoy Demonella, a good old-fashioned Gothic comic short story. The more surreal ones like Les Dog and War are also firm favourites of mine. As mentioned, Gregory: Diary of a Nutcase is great satire of violent movies and the issues surrounding them.

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »
I will contribute only my usual comment when the subject of this show comes up: "Private Enterprise" is severely underrated.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Well...enjoy your lifetime supply of virginity!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2021, 04:31:00 PM »
I will contribute only my usual comment when the subject of this show comes up: "Private Enterprise" is severely underrated.
That one written by Adrian Edmonson , featuring Rik Mayall as a band member, sporting a very 1986 hairstyle? Naw, It's crap.

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »
That one written by Adrian Edmonson , featuring Rik Mayall as a band member, sporting a very 1986 hairstyle? Naw, It's crap.

Guess you showed me.

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2021, 06:39:04 PM »

Yes, I like that one.

Contains the world's shittest extra too.
https://youtu.be/RarEupWeyLQ?t=1837

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »
The bloke who says "Watch it"? Isn't he directed to act like that? I figured it was a gag, like the guard who belatedly says "Hey..." after one of the Knights charges up, stabs his mate and rushes past them into the castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »
I think he might just be terrible.

It gets a laugh from me though, which cant be said for a lot of Comic Strips.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2021, 12:52:36 AM »
I think it's meant to be funny that the cigarette drops out of his mouth, but that probably wasn't enough so the deliberately lame "Watch it!" was dubbed on later.
I agree with Mister Six about the possible Python inspiration for that bit.

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »
Private Hire is not funny though not once did I laugh.

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
I think it's meant to be funny that the cigarette drops out of his mouth, but that probably wasn't enough so the deliberately lame "Watch it!" was dubbed on later.
I agree with Mister Six about the possible Python inspiration for that bit.

I think you're both giving them FAR too much credit!

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2021, 04:06:15 PM »
The Strike is ok I guess obvs a parody of America and the film industry making films for general audiences and all the historical inaccuracies not bad just not really funny.

Without knowing how old you are, I think how you view Strike comes down to when you watched it. The jokes it makes have been imitated a lot, so if you only saw it more recently, it might suffer from familiarity

Tags: