Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Strange bastard comedy program from the mid nineties

Started by H-O-W-L, June 01, 2021, 08:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Bit of a wild stab in the dark here, but I'm asking because it's bothered me for ages. When I was a wee tyke we had a TV recording of what I THINK was BBC2, or BBC1 from the mid-nineties, around 1996-1998, which had several later-night shows on it.

One of them which stays stark in my memory was this very peculiar stream-of-consciousness comedy show, no laugh track, composed entirely of 1950s-1970s stock footage, with a tone very much in the vein of Look Around You but a lot more straight-laced. It had a somewhat deep posh-voiced man recounting a "story of his life" which was utterly absurdist and completely incomprehensible. Including something (and I may be misremembering this) about him "turning into dogshit" followed by a shot of a woman's foot stepping on a dog turd on the street, then something about him having "a sex change" (as it was referred to)?

Anyone recall what this was? It was very odd and there's absolutely no way I can just google all these vague terms. The tape has also since long been lost to time.

If it helps, much later on the same tape was an airing of Jurassic Park, though said taping surely must have been recorded another day? (Christmas? Boxing Day?) and IIRC it was said to be the first terrestrial airing of it on said tape. It was recorded around Christmas time.

RicoMNKN

Your description makes it sound like Victor Lewis-Smith.

Genome says the first Jurassic Park screening was Christmas 1996.

VLS was doing Ads Infinitum that year, and this episode was broadcast 19th December 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCT0dFpzPgM

H-O-W-L

H-O-W-L

Quote from: RicoMNKN on June 01, 2021, 08:23:08 PM
Your description makes it sound like Victor Lewis-Smith.

Genome says the first Jurassic Park screening was Christmas 1996.

VLS was doing Ads Infinitum that year, and this episode was broadcast 19th December 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCT0dFpzPgM

It wasn't that, t'was the Inside episode I linked, but I can say for certain that the tape was not one continuous day's taping, it jumped around a bit, so it's very likely the Jurassic Park taping was recorded earlier. Infact I could even go so far as to say that Jurassic Park was *earlier* in the tape, meaning it was recorded over something else.

RicoMNKN

I didn't see your post until after I'd made my edit.
Glad you found it.

The sex change comment was big a clue - there's a casual homophobia to a lot of his stuff, unfortunately.

H-O-W-L

Yeah, thanks very much. It's peculiar, I remember loving it as a child (faaaar too young to watch VLS to be honest) but now I watch it it's completely not my taste at all and I think it's sort of shit. I was nervous about mentioning the "sex change" part lest I be seen as a bigot but I'm certain it's dropped somewhere in that episode? Elements from OTHER episodes are in my head for some reason despite the fact I know for sure that it's only this episode I saw back then. Maybe some kind of Best-Of or something that's gone undocumented? Dunno. This has satisfied my curiosity, many thanks.

mippy

The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand De Bargos?

Edit NVM

neveragain

H-O-W-L

There could've been an ep of that on there too, since I remember the style. Odd, this. That's what happens with tapes you see.