Author Topic: Singers who (upon reflection) can’t sing  (Read 3791 times)

Re: Singers who (upon reflection) can’t sing
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
If you listen to him speaking (see link below), he sounds quite like Bernard Sumner and you realise that even on the 'spoken' part of 'No Love Lost', he was putting on a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag5h5O3-MKY

Fucking hell, that is bizarre. He’s so quiet!

buzby

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »
I did wonder why he sounded so different on Warsaw.
Here's the soundcheck bit from the start of  Here Are The Young Men I was referring to - you can hear the Harmonizer trying to track his voice (and producing that autotune 'robot' effect in the process).
https://youtu.be/eCEPorxFmjg?t=54
On the Something Else perfornance of She's Lost Control you can also hear a ADT/pitched down copy of his vocal being mixed in if you listen carefully.

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2021, 10:00:36 AM »
Speaking of New Order, I've always been on the fence about Ian Curtis' voice. It's certainly distinctive and occasionally quite powerful, but you could always tell that he wasn't a natural baritone. He forced himself to sing in that register, hence why his pitch often wavered.

He was obviously trying to emulate Jim Morrison, a singer who crooned with sonorous ease. Curtis sounds quite mannered and gauche by comparison.

I've posted about this on CaB before, but Curtis was definitely "doing a voice". On Love Will Tear Us Apart he pronounces "flawed" as the American pronunciation of "floored", with an audible R. In British English "flawed" and "floored" would be pronounced the same, without an R sound, but in American English they'd be different. He was trying to do an American accent, overcompensating and getting it wrong.

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2021, 10:03:32 AM »
Damon's fine. He's irritating as shit on most of The Great Escape but its not because of his singing voice.

He is great in the songs that need a bit of world-weariness. Out of Time, Blue Jeans, Miss America, To The End, all great vocal performances

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »
I've posted about this on CaB before, but Curtis was definitely "doing a voice". On Love Will Tear Us Apart he pronounces "flawed" as the American pronunciation of "floored", with an audible R. In British English "flawed" and "floored" would be pronounced the same, without an R sound, but in American English they'd be different. He was trying to do an American accent, overcompensating and getting it wrong.

I can hear him doing it, maybe he thought 'flawed' was spelt 'floored' or its how you say it in that Manchester

Butchers Blind

• Adios pantaloons!
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »
Chris Martin from CaB favorites, Coldplay.  Whenever I hear their records on the radio I always think his voice sounds a bit on the flat side.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »
Chris Martin from CaB favorites, Coldplay.  Whenever I hear their records on the radio I always think his voice sounds a bit on the utterly fucking terrible side.

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
He is great in the songs that need a bit of world-weariness. Out of Time, Blue Jeans, Miss America, To The End, all great vocal performances

Blue Jeans is one of my favourite britpop related songs. He is good on that one. I don't think he sounded like that much again until they were Geezer Pavement.

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2021, 01:08:39 PM »
Apparently Cheryl wasn't a very strong singer in Girls Aloud, so despite being the biggest celeb she couldn't vocally front the group. Nadine was the singer and Cheryl reportedly still hates her for this.
I love Nicola Roberts for many reasons, but not her singing voice. Girls Aloud as a band had maybe one and a half good singers (Kimberley was ok), but it didn't matter with most of their material - obviously Sound of the Underground or Biology, but even with the slower songs - I've a mate who was a singing teacher and insists See The Day is literally the easiest song in the world to sing. But most of the Sugababes' solo efforts also betrayed limited vocal skills; Siobhan kind of screeched and Mutya barely tried.

It does seem upon reflection that from the Proclaimers to Gerry Cinnamon to him out of Travis, no Scottish person can sing.

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
It does seem upon reflection that from the Proclaimers to Gerry Cinnamon to him out of Travis, no Scottish person can sing.

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Damon Albarn needs to be mentioned in this thread. He's got by on very little in the vocal department.

Having Graham Coxon around makes him sound good in comparison, although Coxon on backing vocals works OK, actually. Coxon lead vocals though - not good. When they did ‘Coffee and TV’ on the TFI Friday revival a few years ago it was painful.

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »

I wouldn’t dispute that Curtis is ‘doing a voice’, but don’t a lot of English accents, despite missing out a lot of r sounds, actually add r sounds in mid-word or phrase. To my Caledonian lugs, a lot of English people say ‘drawring’ rather than ‘drawing’, for instance.

You definitely can‘t say that in ‘British English’, "flawed" and "floored" are pronounced the same, as a lot of us (Scotland, N. Ireland, parts of N. England) pronounce all r sounds, so ‘flawed’ and ‘floored’ sound very different to one another.

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »
You definitely can‘t say that in ‘British English’, "flawed" and "floored" are pronounced the same, as a lot of us (Scotland, N. Ireland, parts of N. England) and pronounce all r sounds, so ‘flawed’ and ‘floored’ sound very different to one another.

Yes, that was a simplistic and silly statement from me! I'm a great southern pansy as you could probably have guessed from my post, but I'm thinking of my dad, who is from Up North (but not Manc) and wouldn't pronounce the "R" like Curtis did.

I wouldn’t dispute that Curtis is ‘doing a voice’, but don’t a lot of English accents, despite missing out a lot of r sounds, actually add r sounds in mid-word or phrase. To my Caledonian lugs, a lot of English people say ‘drawring’ rather than ‘drawing’, for instance.

I'm a bit out of my depth here so what I posted might have been complete bollocks. I wonder if Curtis would naturally have pronounced "flawed" as "floored" (with an audible R) in speech after all, I don't know anything about them Manchester types.

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
I heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart" when I was a child, and I thought he was doing a cowboy voice.

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »
You cry out in your sleep....yeehaw!

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
Love will tear us a-(howdy) pardner

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »
don't want be farmer
a teacher or a tax collector
you'll find me in the joy division
i'm the, uh, death camp inspector
-Tex Hooper

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2021, 05:23:03 PM »
I love Nicola Roberts for many reasons, but not her singing voice.
I like her voice, but it's definitely unconventional.
Liz Fraser, Roddy Woomble, Jim Kerr, Lauren Mayberry, Annie Lennox and undoubtedly many others would like to suggest otherwise.

Big Guided by Voices fan, but Bob Pollard often falls flat. Suits the scrappy sound of the band, though.

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
Love GBV but Pollard is so bad whenever he tries to do a 70s classic rock thing. Glad Girls, Bulldog Skin, a decent chunk of Isolation Drills fucking hell.

Huge gap between that how well he does what they'd call "British Invasion"

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
Bob's voice on Bulldog Skin is absolutely horrible. I don't think GbV do 'rock' very well in general, they're always better on the poppier end of things. Or the mucking about making weird noises in someone's basement end.

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2021, 06:50:17 PM »
His best rock voice is on stuff like "Weed King" where he's clearly imagining its 1969 and he's fronting some unknown prog band and cutting the bside of a single that went nowhere but Thurston moore mentioned in an interview one time. There's some exceptions but when he's just doing a normal "rocking out" voice its horrible.

Mentioning GBV being inconsistent is as redundant comment as you could make about anything, but its pretty amazing to think that "Sad If I Lost It" and "Bulldog Skin" are same singer, same year, same album.

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
Top Kenneth Williams lookalike Fred Schneider from the B- 52s. It's a good job the two lasses in that band are quite handy at the ol' singin'.

Nah, Fred has an awesome voice for what he does (speak-sing). Instantly recognisable and charming as hell.

« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2021, 09:18:26 PM »
I missed someone said Fred Schneider! That's a worse suggestion than Mark Hollis.

Tags: