Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:55:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stars who bashed their own comedy films.

Started by Leej88, June 02, 2021, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

Jason Bateman-Horrible Bosses 2
John Hurt-King Ralph
John Cleese-Yellowbeard

Icehaven

Didn't Bill Murray slate Garfield and say he only agreed to do it because he thought it was being made by the Coen Brothers rather than Joel Cohen? He did the sequel too though so maybe not.

Leej88

Yeah he thought a Coen Brother was writing it and now I think of it Steve Coogan ripped Holmes and Watson a new one.

Sebastian Cobb

Burt Reynolds got proper pissed off about Boogie Nights.

Leej88

Ray Liotta, Danny Glover, and Denis Leary all admitted they did Operation Dumbo Drop for the money.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: icehaven on June 02, 2021, 01:38:33 PM
Didn't Bill Murray slate Garfield and say he only agreed to do it because he thought it was being made by the Coen Brothers rather than Joel Cohen?

That's the way he tells it, yeah. Although I've always found it a bit hard to swallow that Murray actually believed that the Coen Brothers were making a Garfield movie or that he wouldn't have done the small amount of fact-checking necessary to find out that that wasn't the case before signing the contract. Then again he supposedly doesn't have an agent or manager of any sort, so who knows.

Leej88

Dan Akroyd when told a reel of his film Loose Cannons had been found in a Canadian landfill by someone who thought it depicted a murder said it should have stayed there where it belongs.

H-O-W-L

I think Pegg and Serkis both shat on Burke and Hare afterward?

Leej88

Chevy crapped on the production team on Nothing But Trouble yet laid into Dan who was director, writer, producer, and star of the film.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 02, 2021, 01:47:36 PM
That's the way he tells it, yeah. Although I've always found it a bit hard to swallow that Murray actually believed that the Coen Brothers were making a Garfield movie or that he wouldn't have done the small amount of fact-checking necessary to find out that that wasn't the case before signing the contract. Then again he supposedly doesn't have an agent or manager of any sort, so who knows.

I always thought he was joking about the Coen/Cohen mixup because, as icehaven says, he came back for the sequel which was even worse.

He just did it for an easy payday, to the point where (according to Jim Davis) they let him record his lines at home and on the set of The Life Aquatic.

Richard Pryor was fairly dismissive of almost every film of his that he mentioned in his autobiography, IIRC. It wasn't so much a case of slagging them off, usually, more that it tended to imply there was nothing of note to say about most of them.

Brundle-Fly

Eric Idle and just about everybody from the director to the caterers for An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn (1997)

The movie was universally panned by critics and tanked at the box office. It "won" five awards (including Worst Picture) at the 18th Golden Raspberry Awards. The film's creation set off a chain of events that led the Directors Guild of America to officially discontinue the Alan Smithee credit in 2000 after its use for decades when an American director disavowed a film. The plot, about a director attempting to disown a film, ironically described the film's own production; Hiller requested that his name be removed after witnessing the final cut by the studio. Eric Idle himself said in various interviews meant to promote the film that "this is rather dreadful".

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 02, 2021, 03:22:12 PM
Eric Idle himself said in various interviews meant to promote the film that "this is rather dreadful".

What the fuck did he say about Splitting Heirs?!
Or did he just remain silent and shit in the interviewer's eyes?

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Leej88 on June 02, 2021, 02:47:10 PM
Chevy crapped on the production team on Nothing But Trouble yet laid into Dan who was director, writer, producer, and star of the film.

With good reason. Only good bit was the penis nose.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 02, 2021, 02:43:47 PM
I think Pegg and Serkis both shat on Burke and Hare afterward?

Pegg's done more shit films than good.

dead-ced-dead

Matthew Goode shat all over Leap Year. It was a rom-com that came out in 2012-ish (can't be bothered to IMDB it). It was the kind of movie where everyone in Ireland works in a rustic pub and sings songs. I believe Pat Mustard has a cameo in it.

BeardFaceMan

The Mr Show crew don't have a lot of good things to say about Run Ronnie Run.

Then there's all the people who put out statements to say they regret appearing in Woody Allen's films.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 02, 2021, 05:06:38 PM
Then there's all the people who put out statements to say they regret appearing in Woody Allen's films.

Even though the allegation was public knowledge in 1992.

Leej88

Yeah I remember Matthew Goode dissing the film it came out in 2010,I watched it on Channel 4 a couple of years ago I must have been bored.

Mister Six

Quote from: Leej88 on June 02, 2021, 01:28:34 PM
Jason Bateman-Horrible Bosses 2

Which is funny, because I was pleasantly surprised by how decent that film was, whereas I thought the original was an absolutely reprehensible travesty. Although I watched 2 on a plane, which might have lowered my expectations even further.

Quote from: Leej88 on June 02, 2021, 02:47:10 PM

Is "laid into" a good thing.

Leej88

Chevy said about John Landis bullying the film crew is low yet he did it on Nothing But Trouble and he bullied Dan Akroyd who the crew stood up for.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Leej88 on June 02, 2021, 05:20:21 PM
Yeah I remember Matthew Goode dissing the film it came out in 2010,I watched it on Channel 4 a couple of years ago I must have been bored.

To be fair, for what it is, it's perfectly competent. I think I watched it during a bored evening when it was on Channel 4, too and didn't hate it. I just nothing'd it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 02, 2021, 03:30:15 PM
What the fuck did he say about Splitting Heirs?!
Or did he just remain silent and shit in the interviewer's eyes?

Well according to Idle's autobiography (which I had the misfortune of reading a couple of years ago) the UK media reaction to Splitting Heirs was one of the main reasons for him relocating to Los Angeles, so I presume he thought the film was good.

DrGreggles

I paid real money to see it.
Good riddance!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 02, 2021, 04:09:39 PM
Pegg's done more shit films than good.

Yeah I think he slagged off Run Fatboy Run on RHLSTP.

The similarly titled Run Ronnie Run was disowned by Bob and David as they lost control of the project. I reckon it's still very good though and I'm sure it has it's following.

Boogie Nights is not a comedy by the way.

lipsink

Burt Reynolds made Boogie Nights and Striptease in the same year and I think Boogie Nights he said was a disaster and Striptease he was excited about people seeing.

Leej88

Steve Coogan also slagged off the Parole Officer.

Andy147

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 02, 2021, 03:22:12 PM
Eric Idle and just about everybody from the director to the caterers for An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn (1997)

You can see him criticising it on Clive Anderson All Talk; he also says "... I'm actually in one at the moment that's just opened which isn't that funny either" (the interview's from 1999, so possibly Dudley Do-Right).