Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stars who bashed their own comedy films.

Started by Leej88, June 02, 2021, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonkers

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 07, 2021, 09:18:13 PM
Any chance they got caught up in Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme? I know that's how Kevin Bacon ended up doing all those EE ads.

Isn't Robert De Niro a New Yorker? If he was flogging mass-produced bagels he must have been really desperate.

If you look at the accounts Warburton's are actually pretty massive, their revenue is about half a billion a year. The Warburton boys seem to still run it so they're surely just throwing money around for a laugh. George Clooney's just done a new ad for them, to fund some new terrorist hunting satelites.

Leej88

Everyone buys bread so they raking in the dough lol

Barney Sloane

Katherine Heigl pretty much disowned Knocked Up

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Barney Sloane on June 07, 2021, 11:29:29 PM
Katherine Heigl pretty much disowned Knocked Up

Though she knocked up the dough?

zomgmouse

still yet to see this but this surprises me

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Poison To The Mind on June 06, 2021, 01:40:29 AM
In 2008, asked what he would do differently if he could live his life again, Cleese offered, "I wouldn't have married Alyce Faye Eichelberger and I wouldn't have made Fierce Creatures."

What, did it annoy Rupert Murdoch and other rich people too much, your only source of publicity now?
Fierce Creatures is great and British and Kline is better in it than Wanda imo

Blue Jam

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 08, 2021, 12:29:19 AM

still yet to see this but this surprises me

You just prompted me to look up James Corden's reflections on Lesbian Vampire Killers:

QuoteWhilst on the comedy panel show The King is Dead in September 2010, star James Corden commented that watching the film would be too harsh a punishment for prisoners being held at Guantanamo Bay and that it was "a pile of shit."He has since described the film as "quite embarrassing". He later referenced the film in regard to his "questionable film career" on his talk show in 2019, chiding the audience for cheering it and remarking "it's exactly as bad as you think it is!"

I maintain that he is actually a good straight actor and agree that this makes his film career "questionable", but I am surprised to learn that he has an iota of self-awareness and shame.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 08, 2021, 08:08:43 AM
You just prompted me to look up James Corden's reflections on Lesbian Vampire Killers:

I maintain that he is actually a good straight actor and agree that this makes his film career "questionable", but I am surprised to learn that he has an iota of self-awareness and shame.

I suppose it's less to do with shame and more to do with how un-2020s it is (I hasten to use words like "woke" or "PC" because it sounds like I'm coming down against them). That's the kind of film that could actually hurt him a bit career wise had it been a bigger deal for example, had it had the same box office in the UK as a Shaun of the Dead, say. Especially while trying to maintain a film and talk show career in America. So it's much better to show embarrassment.

willbo

have we mentioned the Ant and Dec alien film?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: willbo on June 08, 2021, 12:20:27 PM
have we mentioned the Ant and Dec alien film?

Although they have joked about the film, it's in the same vein as other remarks about their career - i.e. self-depreciatory and should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't think either have seriously rubbished the film and the pair are surprisingly candid about when their work haven't gone well. The TV critic in Private Eye pointed this out in an article that argued that most presenters are made by the format, rather than formats are made successful by presenters, but that Ant and Dec are an exception to that rule. A rare misfire was the first Saturday Night Takeaway series, but the pair acknowledged that the show wasn't working and drastically revised it so that it did. More recently, with the last series of I'm a Celeb..., due to viewer feedback (can't remember the full details, but it was something like the amount of repeated clips) changes were made and although the two joked about it, it was clear that they were responding to that feedback.

Also, Alien Autopsy isn't a terrible film; often when it's discussed is often relatively well-regarded now and at the time of release, it wasn't slated like LVK or SLotPM. Pretty sure I watched it a long time ago, not a great film but far from a disaster and quite fun in places.

Leej88

Flea who had a role in Back to the Future Part II slated the film saying it was a multi-million dollar mess or words to that effect.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 08, 2021, 08:08:43 AM

One of the things about that film is that it had been stuck in development hell for a few years, but suddenly it's a goer and, Horne and Corden are starring. I could never work out why they signed on in the first place.

Leej88

Their comedy show together was bad surprised it did not kill their careers.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 08, 2021, 01:01:41 PM
One of the things about that film is that it had been stuck in development hell for a few years, but suddenly it's a goer and, Horne and Corden are starring. I could never work out why they signed on in the first place.

Because they were a pair of unfunny chancers who wouldn't know what a good script looked like?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 08, 2021, 02:01:55 PM
Because they were a pair of unfunny chancers who wouldn't know what a good script looked like?
Horne definitely was. Corden could have been a more serious actor if he'd been bothered. But he clearly got famous and decided he'd rather lark about with his mates.

Leej88

And be American's new British luvvie yuck!

Thursday

Sex Lives of the Potato Men makes me think about Three and Out, starring Mackenzie Crook which had posters everywhere of him looking utterly terrifying. Has anyone ever talked about that?

Leej88

It's a bad film apparently the London underground was not happy that people getting hit by trains was played for laughs plus Gemma Arterton goes topless so there you go.

H-O-W-L

Alien Autopsy was really not a bad film, it was just forgettable and in a spring/summer period packed with much better shit to watch at the cinema.

Leej88

Alien Autopsy is a average film nothing more nothing less

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 04:11:44 PM
And be American's new British luvvie yuck!

"American's" don't like him either.

non capisco

Quote from: Thursday on June 08, 2021, 04:15:34 PM
Sex Lives of the Potato Men makes me think about Three and Out, starring Mackenzie Crook which had posters everywhere of him looking utterly terrifying. Has anyone ever talked about that?

I have never seen London so flooded with posters for any one film as that one, it seemed like Crook's haunted fizzog was staring at you from every surface. And no-one I know bothered seeing it.

willbo

He always looks scary. When I first saw The Office I thought it was a horror comedy about a zombie at work.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 12:57:11 PM
Flea who had a role in Back to the Future Part II slated the film saying it was a multi-million dollar mess or words to that effect.

To be fair, he's not wrong.

Glebe

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Having read the synopsis of, and seen the trailer of, " Three And Out", I am moved to say  FUCKING HELL. what a spectactrlarly misjudged piece of work it would appear to be. Mark Benton's in it, too. Has anyone on 'ere seen this film ( apparently marketed as  a black comedy, but in reality more straightforwardly dramatic than trailer/ advertising campaign would suggest)? Is it really so dire as all outward appearances would suggest?

dothestrand

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 01:03:43 PM
Their comedy show together was bad surprised it did not kill their careers.

Corden was saved by One Man, Two Guvnors, which went to Broadway and Corden won the Tony. I doubt anyone in the US has even heard of Gavin and Stacey.

Leej88

I have seen not to the end though, Mackenzie plays a train driver who if he has a 3rd person die on his watch he will get a payout so he gets a homeless man to do it cause he wants to die he goes back to his ex-wife and wants to live again. Mackenzie sleeps with Gemma which is very implausible.

dothestrand

Quote from: dr beat on June 06, 2021, 10:53:42 AM
I'd need to check back, but from what I recall Willis didn't come across well in Richard E. Grant's autobiography, in the bit about the making of Hudson Hawk (which is the best bit of that book).

Willis comes across as a dick on Julie Salamon's 'The Devil's Candy', about the making of The Bonfire of the Vanities. I think he had the script reworked to beef up his character, who is less prominent in the novel (and was based on Alexander Cockburn, the left-wing Irish/Scots journalist), and was obsessed with how his hairline was shot. It could've been a good film - the source is fantastic - but they bodged it big-time. Everything that could have gone wrong, did.

Color of Night is good fun too. Jane 'The Sinner from Pinner' March was of brief interest to the red tops - I think she was in Annaud's The Lover around the same time.