Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stars who bashed their own comedy films.

Started by Leej88, June 02, 2021, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 08, 2021, 08:08:43 AM
You just prompted me to look up James Corden's reflections on Lesbian Vampire Killers:

I maintain that he is actually a good straight actor and agree that this makes his film career "questionable", but I am surprised to learn that he has an iota of self-awareness and shame.

It seemed a very cynical move at the time. An attempt to copy the Pegg and Frost path of sitcom>comedy horror> success.

I'm amazed at Corden's path. He's clearly a driven individual

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 12:57:11 PM
Flea who had a role in Back to the Future Part II slated the film saying it was a multi-million dollar mess or words to that effect.
Quote from: St_Eddie on June 08, 2021, 07:52:01 PM
To be fair, he's not wrong.
Quote from: Glebe on June 08, 2021, 08:36:19 PM
Nah, it's great.

I think BTTF2 is great with the caveat that the future stuff is a total mess, and very much insane in a way that doesn't fit the dry, wry tone of the first movie or the subsequent alternate-1985/return-to-1955 stuff that comes after it. For the first fourty minutes the movie is a cartoon and nothing less, and then it bounds back to seriousness like Hudson Hawk falling into the next scene.

As an adult too I also think that BTTF2 isn't a patch on BTTF3, which I am rapidly starting to think of as a perfect movie. I love that film so much.

Gulftastic

The first bit of BTTF 2 is them desperately writing themselves out of the corner the first film's end scene painted them into. Once they get that out of the way, it's fine.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Flea probably thinks the music of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is good, so his opinions on art probably shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Icehaven

Flea's barely even in it though isn't he? Maybe he was pissed off because he thought he'd be in it more. Anyway didn't stop him doing another blink-and-you'd-miss-it in BTTF3.

phantom_power

Weren't 2 and 3 filmed back-to-back? I imagine people were contracted for both films at least

Gulftastic

Quote from: phantom_power on June 10, 2021, 02:46:57 PM
Weren't 2 and 3 filmed back-to-back? I imagine people were contracted for both films at least

Indeed they were. That's why 2 ends with a full on trailer for part 3.

Quote from: willbo on June 06, 2021, 09:25:56 AM
I watched Clockwise quite a few times as a kid, but I can't remember the end now. Doesn't he just finally make it to the event he was trying to get to and start shouting? I haven't seen it since the 90s

It was on, oh, Talking Pictures? over the lockdown Summer.

His suit jacket arm fell off.

gmoney

Quote from: dothestrand on June 08, 2021, 09:08:18 PM
Corden was saved by One Man, Two Guvnors, which went to Broadway and Corden won the Tony. I doubt anyone in the US has even heard of Gavin and Stacey.

It's definitely got a following in the US, I've heard Americans talk warmly about it on podcasts. I'd guess it's probably got a similar sort of level of awareness as I'm Alan Partridge.

Leej88

Lesbian Vampire Killers has a cult following?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 10, 2021, 11:25:47 AM
I think BTTF2 is great with the caveat that the future stuff is a total mess, and very much insane in a way that doesn't fit the dry, wry tone of the first movie or the subsequent alternate-1985/return-to-1955 stuff that comes after it. For the first fourty minutes the movie is a cartoon and nothing less, and then it bounds back to seriousness like Hudson Hawk falling into the next scene.

This is pretty much the opposite of my view, which is that the future stuff and the changed present stuff is good and the past stuff is a bit of a mess. Also, there's no way an almanac that size would have had the score from a random Friday night college football match in November, and it's extremely unlikely that it would have had the results of every horse race at a single meeting. And there's no way the commentator would have said "It's all over for UCLA" when they were within range to kick a field goal and losing only by one point.

I think everyone would agree that 3 is miles better than 2.

St_Eddie

Indeed, this is what I meant when I said that I agreed with the assertion that Back to the Future: Part II is a multi-million dollar mess of a movie.  I never said that it wasn't an entertaining mess.

willbo

I was really shocked when I found out people consider BTTF 2 bad. As a kid I just considered the whole trilogy one single great story.

As for Vampire Killers, I never saw it but I wanted to because I assumed it would be a Hammer spoof. Like kids from today being stuck in a 70s Hammer film.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 08, 2021, 09:04:30 PM
Having read the synopsis of, and seen the trailer of, " Three And Out", I am moved to say  FUCKING HELL. what a spectactrlarly misjudged piece of work it would appear to be. Mark Benton's in it, too. Has anyone on 'ere seen this film ( apparently marketed as  a black comedy, but in reality more straightforwardly dramatic than trailer/ advertising campaign would suggest)? Is it really so dire as all outward appearances would suggest?

I didn't mind Three And Out, it's by no means great but it's not a disaster, and it's really a sort of odd couple piece with Crook and Colm Meaney bonding, with just a hint of romance between Crook and Atherton.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Leej88 on June 10, 2021, 03:12:56 PM
Lesbian Vampire Killers has a cult following?
I think 'cult' was a typo

sutin

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 10, 2021, 03:33:33 PM
I think everyone would agree that 3 is miles better than 2.

Eh? No. No one I know thinks the 3rd one is the best. You remember that it's the wild west one, right?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: sutin on June 10, 2021, 10:54:54 PM
Eh? No. No one I know thinks the 3rd one is the best. You remember that it's the wild west one, right?

Well, I didn't actually say it's the best did I? I said I think it's better than the 2nd. You might remember that the first film exists. If you want to start a fight you might do better with

As an adult too I also think that BTTF2 isn't a patch on BTTF3, which I am rapidly starting to think of as a perfect movie. I love that film so much.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 10, 2021, 11:34:06 PM
Well, I didn't actually say it's the best did I? I said I think it's better than the 2nd.

Indeed.  Back to the Future: Part III is superior and more cohesive than Part II (despite having the look and feel of a Made-For-TV movie), but neither are a patch on the original.

H-O-W-L

BTTF3 is the best because it's cowboys and if you fight me on this you're going to get shot by the sheriff.

Johnny Textface

BTTF3 is the worst one simply because they mess up the chemistry between Marty and Doc by introducing Docs love interest. Also Marty is like a secondary character.

Also westerns are nowhere near as exciting as flying cars and Michael J Fox in a dress.

willbo

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2021, 01:55:58 AM
Indeed.  Back to the Future: Part III is superior and more cohesive than Part II (despite having the look and feel of a Made-For-TV movie), but neither are a patch on the original.

I feel like that was the early 90s look though. I felt the same way with the 3rd Indy Jones and Terminator 2. There was something glossy and TV ish about the cameras of that time.

BTTF = BTTF2 > BTTF3

As a child I thought the first two were equally good, just one big film really. I had no time for the third one and it seemed like a totally separate story.

St_Eddie

Quote from: willbo on June 11, 2021, 08:09:39 AM
I feel like that was the early 90s look though. I felt the same way with the 3rd Indy Jones and Terminator 2. There was something glossy and TV ish about the cameras of that time.

Nah, because Back to the Future: Part II and III were shot at the same time (the latter being released in cinemas 6 months after the former).  Part II doesn't have that slightly cheap look and feel that Part III does.  I think it's a result of a number of factors; the movie largely being set during the daytime, the lack of many special effect shots, a rather workman like approach to direction, the limited sets and locations and so forth.  It should also be noted that all three Back to the Future movies were shot on variations of the same camera (the first movie with the Panavision Panaflex and the two sequels with the Panavision Panaflex Platinum).

Leej88

The director was editing part II while they were filming Part III,he had also done Roger Rabbit in 88 so perhaps he was burned out when it came to the 3rd film.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 04, 2021, 03:01:48 PM
Matt & Trey South Park seem to run down BASEketball at every available opportunity. They're wrong, of course.

Well they want to have total creative control of everything they're involved with, so they probably only think of the pain of having to say any jokes they didn't stand behind, even if the movie itself is pretty funny.

I remember Mila Kunis once being asked if there's any movies/shows she regrets, and she said something to the effect of "Go on my IMDB, look at anything prior to 2008 and pick one."

Dave Chappelle and Neal Brennan both seem to dislike Half Baked, despite it being a cult classic these days.

TJ Miller got a lot of mileage out of being in Yogi Bear 3D, it was a punchline for him often.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Leej88 on June 11, 2021, 05:47:58 PM
TJ Miller is a knob though.

Sure, but the thread isn't about who's a knob.