Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stars who bashed their own comedy films.

Started by Leej88, June 02, 2021, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Admittedly a very black comedy, but top of the list must be The Day The Clown Cried, for which the star locked the only footage away until 2024.

QuoteThe film's release was initially blocked by co-writer Joan O'Brien, according to the Lewis biography King of Comedy by Shawn Levy.
Later, Lewis himself didn't want the film to be shown, at least not in his lifetime, and rarely spoke about it.
On one of the few occasions he broke his silence, he said it was "bad, bad, bad" and would "never be seen".
"I was ashamed of the work and I was grateful I had the power to contain it all and never let anyone see it," he said in 2013.
"It could have been wonderful but I slipped up - I didn't quite get it."
"It ain't finished," he said in another interview in 2009. "No one's ever gonna see it."
"After I'm gone, who knows what's going to happen? [But] I think I have the legalese necessary to keep it where it is."

Mr Trumpet

Olivia Colman and forum favourite Robert Webb on that terrible wedding-based comedy. Sounds like they were both a bit traumatised by the experience.

Autopsy Turvey

After watching a bit of Carry On Henry not long before his death, Kenneth Williams told his diary "Only an audience of illiterates could ever have found this tripe amusing". His diary couldn't answer back, but if it could I like to think it would have said "Oh fuck off you miserable old cunt".

Echo Valley 2-6809

"I am shit without Merchant" - Gervais on David Brent: Life on the Road.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on June 03, 2021, 11:44:07 AM
Olivia Colman and forum favourite Robert Webb on that terrible wedding-based comedy. Sounds like they were both a bit traumatised by the experience.

QuoteColman claimed she had been misinformed about the amount of nudity involved in the film. Webb claimed, on The Graham Norton Show, that the director had informed him that his genitals would all be pixelated in the final film and was not aware until the screening that this was not the case.

Christ.

frajer

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on June 03, 2021, 11:44:07 AM

I remember on RHLSTP that Webb said he couldn't say everything he wanted because of the legal consequences, but I can't imagine what justification the director had for not pixelling out their nudity if that had been agreed upon beforehand (allegedly).

Only watched the film once years ago but it was almost entirely irredeemable shite and having Webb and Colman appearing billy bollocks made no comedic difference beyond a bit of mild initial shock value.

Leej88

Artie Lange said he was embarrassed to be in Mystery Men which has become a cult film.

Quote from: studpuppet on June 03, 2021, 12:27:53 AM
Admittedly a very black comedy, but top of the list must be The Day The Clown Cried, for which the star locked the only footage away until 2024.

That link to David Schneider's programme about Jerry Lewis's controversial and mysterious Nazi death camp film is fascinating.  I wonder if it ever will see the light of day.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 03, 2021, 12:43:08 PM
That link to David Schneider's programme about Jerry Lewis's controversial and mysterious Nazi death camp film is fascinating.  I wonder if it ever will see the light of day.

As studpuppet said, there were plans to give the film its first public screening in 2024; Lewis donated a copy to the Library of Congress on the proviso that it must not be screened before that year (he knew he'd probably be dead by then). But it turns out the copy owned by the Library of Congress is incomplete, something which Lewis must've been aware of. I don't think there ever really was a final edit of the film, only a rough cut.

Brundle-Fly

I think I heard this on Rule Of Three podcast but apparently, Stan Laurel in his later years watched his old movies on the telly in despair. He believed their timing was all off and they didn't work anymore. The films weren't made for the not-invented-yet platform in mind, but picture houses packed out with guffawing patrons. During the filming and editing process, for comic timing purposes, Stan would allow gaps for people to laugh so as not to miss any dialogue or the next gag. To a modern TV viewer, it might've seemed like bad pacing.

Leej88

You can tell that in comedy shows like Red Dwarf series VII someone will say a line they will be a pause usually for laughter then next line but with no laughter, it is dead air.

paruses

There was a trend for cutting the laugh track out of Big Bang Theory episodes and sticking the in YouTube. Interesting to watch for a few minutes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 02, 2021, 10:11:53 PM
Boogie Nights is not a comedy by the way.

Sigh. It's a period drama with enough comedy elements present that I thought it warranted a mention.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Leej88 on June 03, 2021, 12:36:23 PM
Artie Lange said he was embarrassed to be in Mystery Men which has become a cult film.

The cheeky get. He's barely even in the film.

Mister Six

Quote from: Leej88 on June 03, 2021, 01:10:44 PM
You can tell that in comedy shows like Red Dwarf series VII someone will say a line they will be a pause usually for laughter then next line but with no laughter, it is dead air.

I realised recently that's why I find How I Met Your Mother so uncomfortable to watch - apparently they record in three-camera style without a studio audience, then dub in canned laughter afterwards, which is why the performances exist in this weird uncanny valley that's slightly too dramatic to be sitcommy, and slightly too daft to be a drama.

Whereas the casts of Friends, Frasier, Big Bang Theory et al can feed off the audience to pitch their performances appropriately, the HIMYM cast are basically performing into a void, so there's an uncomfortable disconnection between the way they act and the three-camera sitcom trappings they exist within.

Plus, the scripts are often weak, and combined with that uncomfortable delivery, the sound guys are forced to mix the track low (because uproarious laughter would be way too out of place), which adds to the uncanny, barren feeling of the scenes.

Sorry, I know I keep going in about HIMYM on CaB, but Mrs Six still hasn't finished her marathon run on the show and it's driving me fucking mental overhearing it.

willbo

Watching any Friends/Big Bang style sitcom with the sound off and subtitles on (or the laughter just removed) is really creepy. The pauses feel really uncomfortable and it starts to feel like some grim European dogme film or something.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mister Six on June 03, 2021, 06:03:26 PM
I realised recently that's why I find How I Met Your Mother so uncomfortable to watch - apparently they record in three-camera style without a studio audience, then dub in canned laughter afterwards, which is why the performances exist in this weird uncanny valley that's slightly too dramatic to be sitcommy, and slightly too daft to be a drama.

Whereas the casts of Friends, Frasier, Big Bang Theory et al can feed off the audience to pitch their performances appropriately, the HIMYM cast are basically performing into a void, so there's an uncomfortable disconnection between the way they act and the three-camera sitcom trappings they exist within.

Plus, the scripts are often weak, and combined with that uncomfortable delivery, the sound guys are forced to mix the track low (because uproarious laughter would be way too out of place), which adds to the uncanny, barren feeling of the scenes.

Sorry, I know I keep going in about HIMYM on CaB, but Mrs Six still hasn't finished her marathon run on the show and it's driving me fucking mental overhearing it.

I don't think non-live audience tracks are especially uncommon, versus live audiences or using entriely canned laughter.

I think Red Dwarf used the former. I guess a lot of it depends on the size of a set, e.g. it makes sense to have an audience for something like Bottom since the majority of episodes take place within the confines of the lounge/kitchen of the flat.

jobotic

Someone posted a laugh free Friends scene on that thread and it is amazing. Someone says something and everyone just sits there without emotion for a few seconds and then it's someone else's turn.

jobotic

That scene in which Ross goes on about being able to see Rachel naked whenever he liked in his head would be creepy as fuck without a laugh track.

Leej88

Imagine Royle Family with a laugh track would not work at all.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

"What did you have for tea, Dave?"
"Lancashire Hotpot"
AHAHAHAHAHA

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Leej88 on June 03, 2021, 09:06:18 PM
Imagine Royle Family with a laugh track would not work at all.

I know that would be weird if a consciously designed lowkey sitcom had a laughter track that would go against the whole point of it wouldnt be funny /

studpuppet

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2021, 09:01:12 PM
Someone posted a laugh free Friends scene on that thread and it is amazing. Someone says something and everyone just sits there without emotion for a few seconds and then it's someone else's turn.

There are lots of Friends ones on YT that read as psycho-thrillers with the characters' thoughts removed, Ross's bits are very creepy without laughter punctuating them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H6Ux3l75Rc

zomgmouse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 03, 2021, 01:08:08 PM
I think I heard this on Rule Of Three podcast but apparently, Stan Laurel in his later years watched his old movies on the telly in despair. He believed their timing was all off and they didn't work anymore. The films weren't made for the not-invented-yet platform in mind, but picture houses packed out with guffawing patrons. During the filming and editing process, for comic timing purposes, Stan would allow gaps for people to laugh so as not to miss any dialogue or the next gag. To a modern TV viewer, it might've seemed like bad pacing.

This makes a lot of sense as to why I found it a bit slow watching it on my own.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 03, 2021, 06:03:26 PM

The edited programmes were shown to audiences and their genuine laughter taped*, aiui. The fact that every (? iirc) single episode of the series is told achronologically in various ways would make it physically impossible to get real laughs from a live audience: they would have to be penned up for two solid days, watching a bizarre concatenation of unconnected events set on different days and years and sets and in different clothing.

*probably both sweetened and mixed low because of the pacing, sure.

St_Eddie

Quote from: studpuppet on June 03, 2021, 10:38:19 PM
There are lots of Friends ones on YT that read as psycho-thrillers with the characters' thoughts removed, Ross's bits are very creepy without laughter punctuating them, re-edited without laughter, dialogue removed, horror music layered on top, a dark filter applied, the footage slowed down to make Ross stare and the sound of an ambulance added at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H6Ux3l75Rc

Who would have thought?!

BeardFaceMan

Matt & Trey South Park seem to run down BASEketball at every available opportunity. They're wrong, of course.

Leej88

James Franco Your Highness it is a bad film with a great cast wasted on bad material.

Unger

I seem to remember reading about Michael Richards offering refunds to friends of his who'd paid to see him in Coneheads. Bit weird considering he's barely in the film.  I love Dan Aykroyd but the double whammy of Nothing But Trouble in '91 and Coneheads in '93 effectively finished his career as a leading man.