Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netanyahu out of power soon?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 03, 2021, 08:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Although there still needs to be a parliamentary vote, an eight-faction coalition has been agreed, with Naftali Bennett of the Yamina serving as prime minister first.

What does this mean for Palestine? I note that the government will include an Arab-Israeli* party, Ra'am, which has four seats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-57336574

*is this the correct term? Apologies if it is not.

buttgammon

The thing is, Bennett is a far-right lunatic who supports the settlements, is violently opposed to a Palestinian state and has boasted about how many Arabs he killed when he was in the military, so I wouldn't hold out much hope. I'd like to think the presence of Ra'am would make some of his worst instincts unviable but aside from enjoying a little bit of schadenfreude at Netanyahu's demise, I'm no more optimistic.

jobotic

Quote from: buttgammon on June 03, 2021, 09:09:30 AM
The thing is, Bennett is a far-right lunatic who supports the settlements, is violently opposed to a Palestinian state and has boasted about how many Arabs he killed when he was in the military, so I wouldn't hold out much hope. I'd like to think the presence of Ra'am would make some of his worst instincts unviable but aside from enjoying a little bit of schadenfreude at Netanyahu's demise, I'm no more optimistic.

I feel the same. It's certainly quite the 10p mix-up though!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The way their parliament and voting system works makes it quite impressive (purely from a sinister political level) that Netenyahu has been so unflushable up to now, even the corruption didn't quite stick.

As people correctly state above, other than his own personal setback there is nothing to enjoy. The left and any even vaguely constructive element of the centre and the right is completely defeated, the populace has been whipped up into a fervour, to the fringes of (and it's unavoidable to say so) being outright violent far right racists, because that's what they have been taught. Their society has become based on an ethnicity based entitlement, which is incompatible with the situation they share with others and from which no good can come.

All we can do is boycott their goods, donate to Palestinian disaster relief, lobby our MPs, help ensure Israel is deservedly seen as a pariah state. I am convinced this is going to get a lot worse very soon though.

Paul Calf

Perhaps she'll get to meet him now.

dissolute ocelot

The best we can hope for is that the new government will be so divided it won't be able to do anything, and meanwhile Netenyahu will go to jail or die. But it also means that nothing positive will be done for the next few years. A lot will depend on who gets the various ministries, but they're unlikely to pick a liberal for anything sensitive like defence; maybe they'll put Labor in charge of tourism (which has a cabinet-level ministry!).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The thing is, Bennett is a far-right lunatic who supports the settlements, is violently opposed to a Palestinian state and has boasted about how many Arabs he killed when he was in the military, so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Christ, she kept that quiet when she was running the Greens.

greenman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 03, 2021, 09:39:18 AM
The way their parliament and voting system works makes it quite impressive (purely from a sinister political level) that Netenyahu has been so unflushable up to now, even the corruption didn't quite stick.

As people correctly state above, other than his own personal setback there is nothing to enjoy. The left and any even vaguely constructive element of the centre and the right is completely defeated, the populace has been whipped up into a fervour, to the fringes of (and it's unavoidable to say so) being outright violent far right racists, because that's what they have been taught. Their society has become based on an ethnicity based entitlement, which is incompatible with the situation they share with others and from which no good can come.

All we can do is boycott their goods, donate to Palestinian disaster relief, lobby our MPs, help ensure Israel is deservedly seen as a pariah state. I am convinced this is going to get a lot worse very soon though.

It might at least puncture the idea of Neteyahu as somehow uniquely responsible for these issues, something which I think has been pushed pretty strongly by the media in recent years.

Echo Valley 2-6809

I suppose it'll be me who ends up buying his leaving card as usual.

No, I don't want any money for it thank you.

greenman

Does mean you get to come up with a Bennie and the Jets reference to put in it.

Buelligan

[quoteAaron Bastani@AaronBastani]
Here's the video where Israel's new president, Isaac Herzog, refers to mixed race marriages (and even 'coupling') of Jews and non-Jews as 'an actual plague'.[/quote]

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1400406817197395971

bgmnts

I know it's allegedly anti-semitic to compare Israel to Nazi Germany but that is incredibly close to Nazi ideals isn't it? Racial purity etc.

danwho9

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 12:58:06 PM
I know it's allegedly anti-semitic to compare Israel to Nazi Germany but that is incredibly close to Nazi ideals isn't it? Racial purity etc.

It's also anti-semitic to link Isreal to Jews as a whole. The hardcore Zionist attitude to anti-semitism is completely inconsistent.

buttgammon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 03, 2021, 11:40:28 AM
The best we can hope for is that the new government will be so divided it won't be able to do anything, and meanwhile Netenyahu will go to jail or die. But it also means that nothing positive will be done for the next few years. A lot will depend on who gets the various ministries, but they're unlikely to pick a liberal for anything sensitive like defence; maybe they'll put Labor in charge of tourism (which has a cabinet-level ministry!).

I didn't think about what would happen at the ministerial level - surely the far-right would want to keep things like defence for themselves? I wonder what an effectively self-paralysed government would look like in terms of things like evictions and ethnic cleansing.

JamesTC

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on June 03, 2021, 12:18:08 PM
I suppose it'll be me who ends up buying his leaving card as usual.

No, I don't want any money for it thank you.

That reminds me of a time a guy had been on my team for around three months before getting some other job. He was off occasionally and was pretty bland so people didn't really get to know him aside from me and another guy. I got the card first but I couldn't think up anything funny as I usually would do I just written "Good luck in your new job". The card was then passed around the rest of the team. When it came back to me near the end of the day I looked into the card and everybody had written the exact same thing. It was literally just a bunch of people practicing how to write "Good luck in your new job". We also didn't do a collection.

Not sure if Netanyahu is leaving for a better paying job in Manchester though so maybe this doesn't apply for him.

bakabaka

That's a thought: does anyone know if the evictions of Arab Israelis that triggered the recent unrest went ahead under cover of the massacre? Or are they still due to happen?

Kankurette

Quote from: danwho9 on June 03, 2021, 01:06:23 PM
It's also anti-semitic to link Isreal to Jews as a whole. The hardcore Zionist attitude to anti-semitism is completely inconsistent.
Well, yeah. I'm a British Jew. I'm pro-Palestine. I've never been to Israel. How is it my fault if Israel oppresses Palestinians?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 12:58:06 PM

If history has taught us one thing it's that any country (including us), of any race, can end up with these kinds of ideals given the right circumstances and enough brainwashing.

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

And here's a charming little twist on Great Replacement Theory:

QuoteI don't think he means 'plague'. More of a pandemic, something getting out of control. And I totally agree with him. Assimilation, or non halachic marriage, will eventually eliminate Jews.

https://twitter.com/LuanaGoriss/status/1400430619327275010?s=20

Fambo Number Mive

Israel's parliament has voted to approve the new government.

Maybe he will have time to meet with Lynn now?

Bronzy

Kankurette

Yeah, there's a contingent who have a huge stick up their arses about intermarriage because they're worried Jews will die out.

idunnosomename

i mean this isnt good but its still funny netanpoopoo has lost his bullyboy throne

greenman

BBC lionising him and claiming the main issue facing the new government is Arab resistance to gay marriage.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 13, 2021, 07:09:13 PM
Israel's parliament has voted to approve the new government.

Maybe he will have time to meet with Lynn now?

RIP Paul Calf.

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 03, 2021, 10:04:39 AM
Perhaps she'll get to meet him now.

Paul Calf

Bennett is also a tech billionaire ex-soldier.