Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Napier Barracks housing ruled unlawful

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 03, 2021, 11:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote...The ruling could see a damages claim against Home Secretary Priti Patel.

Mr Justice Linden's judgment looked in detail at a fire that broke out at the site in January, and when 200 people contracted coronavirus during an outbreak at the camp earlier this year.

The ruling followed hearings that took place in April.

The judge said: "I do not accept that the accommodation there ensured a standard of living which was adequate for the health of the claimants.

"Insofar as the defendant considered that the accommodation was adequate for their needs, that view was irrational."...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57335499

Let's hope this leads to changes in the way people seeking asylum are treated, although I imagine this government will respond by trying to reduce the power of the courts or going on about "woke judges".

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 03, 2021, 11:28:24 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57335499

Let's hope this leads to changes in the way people seeking asylum are treated, although I imagine this government will respond by trying to reduce the power of the courts or going on about "woke judges".
Yeah, good news in the short term. I'm hoping that despite the Tories' bluster over the Human Rights Act they're not going to do anything significant - they didn't offer anything specific in 2019, after David Cameron's plans for a British Bill of Rights proved a total failure. The real threat to justice is less legislation than the lack of funding for lawyers (legal aid being a distant memory in most immigration cases), increased court costs, lack of translators and other basics, and a creaking justice system that takes years to decide anything. As well as poverty, mental health issues, and limited access to health services for asylum seekers. There's also a prospect of making it harder to bring judicial review - they can't abolish it but it's already hugely expensive and there are ways to make that worse. So give money to your local charities.

evilcommiedictator

They'll just do what Australia does and ship them off to a nearby island and build some shitty housing on it, and get Serco to run it, everyone wins (except the refugees of course)

Bronzy

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 04, 2021, 04:43:21 AM
They'll just do what Australia does and ship them off to a nearby island and build some shitty housing on it, and get Serco to run it, everyone wins (except the refugees of course)

Looks like Australia did learn something from us after all.

Makes you proud, doesn't it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I periodically hope Priti Patel is kicked into a burning building, shat on, then forced to listen to the laughter of her victims as her legs melt off. Today is one of those days.