Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jasper Carrott's pony tail joke

Started by Mobbd, June 03, 2021, 11:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

It was essentially: "It's called a pony tail because when you lift it up there's an arsehole underneath."

Bit harsh?

I assume he was taking aim at hip media guys more than 6-year-old girls, but still.

neveragain

I once made the mistake of telling that joke to a supervisor with a ponytail when I worked at a bank. I was let go soon after.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Mobbd on June 03, 2021, 11:32:53 AM
I assume he was taking aim at hip media guys more than 6-year-old girls, but still.

As in George Integrity Whitebread's "My little pony!'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A

Sebastian Cobb

I seem to remember he'd steered it towards men in the lead-up, but it was also when a time when it was de-rigueur for post-yuppie men to wear that look.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

But hang on, surely that doesn't make any sense? Underneath the ponytail is the neck, which is hardly the most prominent aspect of the human-form arsehole. That would be the face/head, which remains uncovered by the ponytail in all states of liftedness. What a load of fuck.

Leej88

I do not know who told Men in the '90s that ponytails were cool cause they look ridiculous.

thenoise

All of the person is underneath the ponytail when you lift it up. I mean, it isn't great, but it just about works.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

The majority of the arsehole's head will still be either above or at the same level as the ponytail no matter how high you elevate it though, so it is still bullshit

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Mobbd on June 03, 2021, 11:32:53 AM
It was essentially: "It's called a pony tail because when you lift it up there's an arsehole underneath."

Bit harsh?

Harry Enfield's plain-speaking Yorkshireman did something similar in the first series of his TV show.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 04, 2021, 07:37:37 AM
Harry Enfield's plain-speaking Yorkshireman did something similar in the first series of his TV show.

I'd like to see that.

Kim Jong Il

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 03, 2021, 06:01:50 PM
But hang on, surely that doesn't make any sense? Underneath the ponytail is the neck, which is hardly the most prominent aspect of the human-form arsehole. That would be the face/head, which remains uncovered by the ponytail in all states of liftedness. What a load of fuck.

If you examine a pony and its tail, you'll find the arsehole directly underneath. That would be the joke.

gilbertharding

... and 'arsehole' is a synecdoche for the terrible human being who typically wore a ponytail in the time of Jasper Carrott. The joke isn't that his actual anus is hidden by the hairstyle.

Mobbd

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 04, 2021, 11:24:53 AM
... and 'arsehole' is a synecdoche for the terrible human being who typically wore a ponytail in the time of Jasper Carrott. The joke isn't that his actual anus is hidden by the hairstyle.

Correct. Surprised this has to be explained to be honest.

My observation was that the joke struck me as a bit strong/cruel. Even if it's aimed at yuppy media men, "arsehole" is a harsh word. Those men might have been considered pretentious or in slave to fashion I supose. But not necessarily arseholes.

I can't help but think it's disingenuous too. Those media trendies would have helped (if not put) JC onto television. And also that as a folkie JC would surely have known loads of perfectly nice men with pony tails or long hair.

When I see (and saw in the '90s) a man with a pony tail, I probably think "heh. silly." Not "THIS CUNT NEEDS TAKING DOWN."

gilbertharding

There was a recurring sketch series on The Fast Show (I think) where Arabella Wier (I think) was briefly attracted to a man, before it was revealed that he had a ponytail, causing her to gag.

I guess they were the Man Bun of the early 90s, and inherently risible.

As a sometime non-bald myself, I ought to say that tying ones hair back for a good reason is a practical thing to do, and Jasper Carrott is clearly just jealous.

I can remember when the pony tail thing for men started, around 1989 to 1990.  I thought it was a bit weird but then I'm sure some people thought I was weird, so horses for courses.

peteprodge

Quote from: Mobbd on June 04, 2021, 11:33:08 AM
I can't help but think it's disingenuous too. Those media trendies would have helped (if not put) JC onto television.

I don't think the red-braced circular-spec-wearing ponytailed media gadabouts got Jasper Carrott those LWT specials and series in the 1970s.

This sketch, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A

There was also that episode of Only Fools and Horses in 1991 where Rodney puts on a fake ponytail to try and impress Cassandra only to find she thinks they look ridiculous and then desperately tries to get it off without her noticing he's got it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Kim Jong Il on June 04, 2021, 11:20:07 AM
If you examine a pony and its tail, you'll find the arsehole directly underneath. That would be the joke.

I know that! I'm saying that the secondary meaning - where 'arsehole' means obnoxious human - doesn't make any sense!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on June 04, 2021, 12:42:29 PM
This sketch, probably.

Great find! Thanks, guys!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 04, 2021, 12:49:46 PM
I know that! I'm saying that the secondary meaning - where 'arsehole' means obnoxious human - doesn't make any sense!

It's quite simple. Everything below this line is the arsehole - provided you accept the premise that everything above the line is by definition the act of an arsehole.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 04, 2021, 03:57:59 PM
It's quite simple. Everything below this line is the arsehole - provided you accept the premise that everything above the line is by definition the act of an arsehole.

Reminds me a bit of a sketch I saw years ago with a pony-tailed guy who worked in advertising or something being called pretentious by a straight-talking north country guy.

Might have been The Fast Show?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on June 04, 2021, 05:40:53 PM
Reminds me a bit of a sketch I saw years ago with a pony-tailed guy who worked in advertising or something being called pretentious by a straight-talking north country guy.

Might have been The Fast Show?

It's already been mentioned, but it's Harry Enfield's Yorkshireman Boss.

Rewatching it, it's far more horrid than I remember tbh.

Everybody warns you about THE WALL. You know, when you hit THE WALL. What happens is like the glycogen runs out of your body and you hit THE WALL. I couldn't give a toss about hitting THE WALL. I was worried about hitting THE ROAD.

Off topic sorry.