Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

bad jokes in the classic Simpsons era

Started by madhair60, June 03, 2021, 03:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Flanders

French wikipedia page for Ned Flanders made an interesting choice.

wrec

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 03, 2021, 05:07:21 PM
all these are very good jokes with the exception of the cane from citizen cane which is season 11 and in deep shite simpsons territory

Thinking the same. A bad one that came to mind is Homer's "misdirected woos" bit to Artie Ziff (doesn't work because John Woo films are not generally held to be badly directed) but that's Season 13. I'm sure there are weak lines in the classic era but the structure and pacing was generally so good then that they probably don't stick out as much. Not a joke but one thing that makes me cringe is Lisa doing the Jazzman song (have never heard the original).

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 03, 2021, 07:50:48 PM
Quote from: Kankurette on June 03, 2021, 07:49:25 PM
I thought that was Helen 'won't somebody think of the CHILDREN?!' Lovejoy.
Shit yeah, my bad. Maude is the gossip.
Maud and Helen both overlap to a degree. Helen's meaner with her gossip and more of a leader in situations where we should all please think of the children, but Maud does her share of both.

Leej88

I laughed at the bort joke and think it's funny that they had John Travolta as a has-been even though it was the year he made his comeback with Pulp Fiction

Chriddof

Never liked the Jazzman song either (and I didn't know it was a cover). It's the absolute opposite of "when a Jazzman testifies" - the backing sounds like that piddly crap you get in and out of commercial breaks on SNL, or 80s / 90s talk shows. And now I've just listened to the Carole King original, and that has a similar wanky SNL sax overload to it. Gah.

Also the "If anything, you owe them" line mentioned earlier pretty much comes a cropper over here, what with the eternal right wing bete noire that is the TV license.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Leej88 on June 03, 2021, 08:29:09 PM
I laughed at the bort joke and think it's funny that they had John Travolta as a has-been even though it was the year he made his comeback with Pulp Fiction

Bad timing for the Simpsons. Sure the Denver Broncos won the Superbowl twice in a row the year after the Simpsons used them as a punchline. Homer would have been a millionaire.

Leej88

This one makes me laugh

Hey Lenny
Hey Homer did you get a haircut?or something
Look closer Lenny
Oh your the biggest man in the world now and you are covered in gold.
14 carat Gold
hahahahahah

JaDanketies

Oh Margie
You came and you found me a turkey
On my vacation away from workey

mippy

I dunno why, but the scene where Bart is watching a catwalk show and the models turn to reveal they are literally paper thin felt off to me. The Simpsons go to Paris? I dislike almost all Simpsons Go To... episodes.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't think it's a bad joke and it's from one of the best episodes but I don't see what's so great about Groening's favourite joke 'I call the big one Bitey'

BJBMK2

Bart Vs Australia. I'm not really one for the "This week, the family get up to wacky adventures in [X] country and meet a load of stereotypes" ep's either. Loads of cracking lines in that, as with all the episodes in this period, but the bit where Bart moons the rioting Australians while humming The Star Spangled Banner...I still to this day, can't tell if there's a level of irony there or if it's just flat out jingoism on the writer's part. The last act of that episode has some very off putting, out of character levels of nationalism that are misguided at best, and completely fucking nauseating at worst.

Leej88

Milhouse lusting after Lisa gets pathetic after a while.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Leej88 on June 03, 2021, 10:19:45 PM

Just about worth it I'd say, as it leads to one of the funniest closing freeze frames.

Panurge

The king of  this, is surely

QuoteHomer : Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me.

Post Office Worker : Okay, Mr. Burns, ah, what's your first name?

Homer : ...I don't know.

Slight smile in the actual episode, seemingly elevated to one of the great all-time gags by the internet. Why exactly?

Leej88

It's funny cause he is posing as Mr. Burns and does not know his first name plus the voice he puts on aswell me and my girlfriend still quote it.

idunnosomename

i genuinely think that's a perfect gag. he puts on a voice for no reason. then most obvious obstacle he hasn't foreseen comes up. he pathetically keeps up the charade even though he knows he's finished. slam cut to "great plan Bart".

sort of thing that made the Simpsons great imo

oh can we also not forget the effort put into the establishing shot

JamesTC

Quote from: BJBMK2 on June 03, 2021, 10:22:38 PM
Just about worth it I'd say, as it leads to one of the funniest closing freeze frames.

Kankurette

Quote from: wrec on June 03, 2021, 08:06:00 PM
Thinking the same. A bad one that came to mind is Homer's "misdirected woos" bit to Artie Ziff (doesn't work because John Woo films are not generally held to be badly directed) but that's Season 13. I'm sure there are weak lines in the classic era but the structure and pacing was generally so good then that they probably don't stick out as much. Not a joke but one thing that makes me cringe is Lisa doing the Jazzman song (have never heard the original).
It's by Carole King, and you're not missing much.

I can't hate the Australia one too much because 1) it has the word 'chazwozzer' in it and 2) one of my Aussie cousins has a son called Tobias, which always makes me think of the 'NINE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS?' bit.

Video Game Fan 2000

C'mon. Homer's "I don't know" in the post office scene is the one of the best deliveries in television history. Right up there with "pinning for the fjords", "it was a back tooth", "a pint? that's nearly an armful", "I'm a locksmith and a I'm a locksmith", "wild? I was livid"  and all the other big boys. Right up there pride of place.

Granted it inspired literally two shit "homer is stupid" gags per episode of Zombie Simpsons but Zombie Simpsons is just a thought experiment on the internet, we shouldn't treat it like a real thing people watch.

Did the mural gag inspire the Flaming Lips song or are they both referencing something else?

Captain Z

So many incorrect opinions in this thread.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BJBMK2 on June 03, 2021, 10:18:16 PM
Bart Vs Australia. I'm not really one for the "This week, the family get up to wacky adventures in [X] country and meet a load of stereotypes" ep's either. Loads of cracking lines in that, as with all the episodes in this period, but the bit where Bart moons the rioting Australians while humming The Star Spangled Banner...I still to this day, can't tell if there's a level of irony there or if it's just flat out jingoism on the writer's part. The last act of that episode has some very off putting, out of character levels of nationalism that are misguided at best, and completely fucking nauseating at worst.

Although I agree that their visits to other countries are dreadful, overall Bart vs Australia is probably one of the only 'good' ones.

Video Game Fan 2000

Are there other good ones? Not counting Bart in France in the first season.

State of New York versus Homer Simpson is easily the best "the Simpson are going to..." episode.

Sebastian Cobb

Not to other countries.

The one where Bart and his mates go to Knoxville is good, although that's more about the journey I suppose.

Blumf

chveik

how many times do you have to watch the episodes in order to understand those shitposts?

markburgle

Quote from: Leej88 on June 03, 2021, 10:19:45 PM

It was pathetic from the outset because that's the joke - he is pathetic. Also he's not lusting, he's pining.

I never liked the repetition of the "With a dry cool wit like that I could be an action hero" - the episode seems to agree that it's rubbish because someone else interrupts it.

I thought some of the jokes in the lemon tree episode - "hey look, an old man is talking", "Bart's quit his tutoring job and joined a violent gang" - had a later-season tossed-offedness about them

The Mollusk

ASFTSN

Quote from: chveik on June 04, 2021, 01:47:05 AM
how many times do you have to watch the episodes in order to understand those shitposts?

A lot-until it feels like The Simpsons is a second language.