Author Topic: bad jokes in the classic Simpsons era  (Read 4492 times)

Re: bad jokes in the classic Simpsons era
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2021, 08:27:44 AM »
Bart Vs Australia. I'm not really one for the "This week, the family get up to wacky adventures in [X] country and meet a load of stereotypes" ep's either. Loads of cracking lines in that, as with all the episodes in this period, but the bit where Bart moons the rioting Australians while humming The Star Spangled Banner...I still to this day, can't tell if there's a level of irony there or if it's just flat out jingoism on the writer's part. The last act of that episode has some very off putting, out of character levels of nationalism that are misguided at best, and completely fucking nauseating at worst.

I remember thinking that was the first real dud episode I ever saw. Not necessarily unfunny, just obnoxious.

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »
I thought some of the jokes in the lemon tree episode - "hey look, an old man is talking", "Bart's quit his tutoring job and joined a violent gang" - had a later-season tossed-offedness about them

"Tute on, son! Tute on!"

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
I also can't tell if the writers genuinely think the coriolis effect affects anything smaller than a tropical storm. An irritating premise.

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
Oh what about the ending of Bart Gets an Elephant where the joke is Stampy is a jerk and so is Homer

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »
The joke when Jay Sherman is reading a letter from Marge and her voiceover says something like, 'See what you've made me do, Homer...'

She would just cross it out or start the letter again wouldn't she.

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
I re-watched Homer the Vigilante the other night and other than the parody of It's a Mad Mad Mad World and other money chase movies (hilarious, "What's a matter with ya kid!? You told me this stream was shallow) and the voice work of Sam Neill (always a pleasure), the whole episode is really naff. Like it feels like a new episode. I can't even put my finger on what exactly is naff about it, it was just all a bit wet.

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
Love the Dragnet bit in that episode.

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2021, 10:51:14 AM »
I re-watched Homer the Vigilante the other night and other than the parody of It's a Mad Mad Mad World and other money chase movies (hilarious, "What's a matter with ya kid!? You told me this stream was shallow) and the voice work of Sam Neill (always a pleasure), the whole episode is really naff. Like it feels like a new episode. I can't even put my finger on what exactly is naff about it, it was just all a bit wet.

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
There are good jokes in it, don't get me wrong. I also love Wiggum re-arranging the arrows on the board to point at the station and him rubbing himself down with the handkerchief left on the crime scene. It's not exactly something I can put my finger on, it's just the episode as a whole feels off.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• DIDN'T LIKE THE BEACH
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »

homer the vigilante is one of the best episodes out of season 5! the fucking strangelove bomb joke for christ's sake. the entire episode has fantastic momentum.

my only rum episode through seasons 3-8 is lisa the beauty queen tbh. it's outright pervy and uncomfortable in some scenes, despite some otherwise killer jokes

oh and this from radio bart

and that really unpleasant letchy drunk homer from war of the simpsons (season 2 is patchy anyway) which lead to this shitpost

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »
The joke when Jay Sherman is reading a letter from Marge and her voiceover says something like, 'See what you've made me do, Homer...'

She would just cross it out or start the letter again wouldn't she.

Boy, I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »
struggling to think but i thought the arcade machine for Waterworld requiring a shitload of money to play it, and it being unsatisfying, was kind of flat.

also it is "violence gang", which to me is very very funny.

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »
i guess this falls into the Homer = stupid = please laugh territory but at the beginning of the one where he becomes an adult educator (not a great one) he is eating a poker chip and says "hey guys, don't try these chips" or something pretty obvious like that.

impressed with how hard this is considering i disagree with most previously-mentioned examples!

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »
sorry to be a combo maker but aghast at the Homer in the post office coming up here. That is right out of Don Quixote windmills territory.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2021, 01:11:38 PM »

and that really unpleasant letchy drunk homer from war of the simpsons (season 2 is patchy anyway) which lead to this shitpost

And this:

War of the Simpsons isn't great, but the bit where he recalls his hangover perfectly captures existential dread.

« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2021, 01:21:42 PM »
is that the bit with the "I declare this the wittiest jape of the season"? because that is also incredible.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »
struggling to think but i thought the arcade machine for Waterworld requiring a shitload of money to play it, and it being unsatisfying, was kind of flat.

also it is "violence gang", which to me is very very funny.

I don't know, the pause and then Milhouse putting the coins in again makes it land, I think.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »
is that the bit with the "I declare this the wittiest jape of the season"? because that is also incredible.

Yeah!

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
I don't know, the pause and then Milhouse putting the coins in again makes it land, I think.

Just struck me that Milhouse spending a tonne of money for an unsatisfying game is a parallel to how Kevin Costner spent an even bigger tonne of money for an unsatisfying movie (Waterworld).

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »
Boy, I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Haha, I know, I know. It hits me as really clunky though. It’s not a particularly funny idea in the first place either.

Bernice

• a turkey is a bad person (he/him)
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2021, 01:49:56 PM »
Boy Scouts N The Hood suffers for how much of an insufferable prick Homer is throughout. Bullies his son for joining the scouts, steals Ernest Borgnine's pocket knife (thus dooming him and a bunch of scouts to death by bear), loses the map, wastes their only flare when lost at sea, eats all the rations when lost at sea, shouts down all Flanders legitimate survival techniques... Individually they're funny enough moments, cumulatively it's just way too much and quite unpleasant.

People point to the Frank Grimes episode as the birth of Jerkass Homer, but he's way worse here - in the Grimes episode he's mostly just oblivious. Even the "Change the channel Marge!" at Grimey's funeral isn't malicious, he's just talking in his sleep.

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2021, 01:51:53 PM »
just looked it up, it is 'i pronounce this to be the most whimsical jape of the season', but the whole recollection of Homer's pissed rampage as a tableau out of Wodehouse is just a great gag on its own

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2021, 02:10:21 PM »
Boy Scouts N The Hood suffers for how much of an insufferable prick Homer is throughout. Bullies his son for joining the scouts, steals Ernest Borgnine's pocket knife (thus dooming him and a bunch of scouts to death by bear), loses the map, wastes their only flare when lost at sea, eats all the rations when lost at sea, shouts down all Flanders legitimate survival techniques... Individually they're funny enough moments, cumulatively it's just way too much and quite unpleasant.

People point to the Frank Grimes episode as the birth of Jerkass Homer, but he's way worse here - in the Grimes episode he's mostly just oblivious. Even the "Change the channel Marge!" at Grimey's funeral isn't malicious, he's just talking in his sleep.
EGGHEAD LOVES HIS BOOKY WOOK

H-O-W-L

• Just A Number Ridin' Solo In The Code
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »
I like the Guy Incognito gag but Homer spotting him and going "THIS GUY LOOKS LIKE ME!" sorta slaughtered it.

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »
What's more the sugar sugar section is not funny at all! Homer would never listen to the Archies and the situation is far too stressful for an obese male in his late 30s to achieve REM sleep enough to dream about dancing with giant lollipop people.

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2021, 02:15:32 PM »
I like the Guy Incognito gag but Homer spotting him and going "THIS GUY LOOKS LIKE ME!" sorta slaughtered it.

Much like "you were drunk" on the front page that is set up for the joke to end on a non sequitor, where Homer's short attention span ends his train of thought.

Bernice

• a turkey is a bad person (he/him)
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2021, 02:21:17 PM »
Much like "you were drunk" on the front page that is set up for the joke to end on a non sequitor, where Homer's short attention span ends his train of thought.

Yes! Surely it's as funny a 30 seconds as there ever were on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jaAeTaG_ms

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »
I didn't say stop.

markburgle

• A flavourless mush I call Rootmarm
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2021, 02:29:01 PM »
EGGHEAD LOVES HIS BOOKY WOOK

Big fan of "Weeellll. If it isn't Colonel Weiner boning up on his nerd lessons"

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »
I think in episodes like Boys Scoutz In The Hood they wrote Homer as mean because he was impulsive and his attitudes to things can change instantly. The episode is dark and full of dark jokes about knives and bears, so Homer can be a bully. There was no sense he'd stay that way any more the episode would end with RIP ERNEST BORGNINE.

I think the problem was they did it a few times afterwards to less effect and ending up calcifying a set of jokes and attitudes that became Jerk Ass Homer. Lisa On Ice is still a pretty funny episode, but Homer is a bastard in it for no real reason other than to mirror everyone else being arseholes set around the joke of bookish Lisa becoming an aggressive jock because she wants to be on the hockney team. The Jerk Ass traits just became the set vocab for when they needed to pitch the character up, whereas before you don't know if he'd be bullying and mean or paranoia or over sensitive or whatever else they needed.

Same episode has Ralph's "me fail English? Unpossible" which was an early sign of the rampant ableism and Lol Dumb People humour of zombie Simpsons.

Tags: