Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veggies

Started by touchingcloth, June 03, 2021, 09:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mothman on June 03, 2021, 11:34:18 PM
And their recipes! "Add one quart Klansman brand kosher cilantro." One quart? That seems a lot. Does it need to be Klansman brand? Never seen that in Sainsbury's. And call it coriander, you zucchini-addled simpletons.

Always kosher salt too, why? I have Himalayan, sea and table salt but no, it has to be salt that wears a skull cap and has no foreskin.

Blue Jam

If you brought a big brown bag of them home I'd jump up and down and hope you'd toss me a carrot

bakabaka

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 04, 2021, 09:57:19 AM
If you brought a big brown bag of them home I'd jump up and down and hope you'd toss me a carrot
Big grin.
Not just me then?

gilbertharding

Quote from: mothman on June 03, 2021, 09:37:43 PM
I fucking hate the word veggies. But even worse is the way they spell it in New Zealand...

Veges.

FUCKING VEGES.

Veges

The illiterate antipodean CUNTS. No word of a lie, it's the reason I changed my mind about emigrating there. No fucking way was I spending the rest of my life there and having to be confronted by that whenever I passed a grocery store.

I have posted previously about a former colleague who sincerely and persistently spelled the abbreviated word for 'refrigerator' as 'frig.'

He wasn't from NZ, but your post reminded me.

gilbertharding

In yellow shoes I get the blues though I walk the street with my plastic feet etc etc

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Attila on June 04, 2021, 07:29:58 AM
My best friend was married to an absolute creep (was, in that she's now passed on, rather than happily divorced from that dickwank) who is one of these people who refuses to eat any vegetables, at all, because of the texture/the taste/they make him gag, &c. This is a dude who would eat green candy and insist that it counted as his vegetable ration for the day. He wasn't joking.

But yeah, I'd go to stay with her for a few days a couple times a year, and she was a terrific cook. He wouldn't eat any of it. A grown man who was on a diet of breakfast cereal, 'chicken tenders', and other junkfood.

More vegetables for me, then.
My sister didn't eat any veg till she was about 30 (or garlic or onions or chilli...). She managed to find a partner who only ate chicken and pizza. Although in recent years she has improved and will now eat a small selection, but IMO it would still be too risky to try serving her any.

The word "vegetables" is unreasonably long compared to "meat" or "bread" or terms for plant matter in other languages. I'm sure the English suspicion of greenery is reflected in that. But on the whole, English could lose the entire "j" sound and would be better for it.

Blue Jam

Eat yer greens, kids:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49551337

I have an uncle who doesn't eat any fruit or veg. Every time our family went out for a meal he would order steak and chips, and only if a mixed grill wasn't available. At Christmas dinner he would have turkey, ham and roast potatoes and leave all the veg. My aunt would make a different starter especially for him because everyone else would have salad and he wouldn't touch it.

I thought I hated vegetables until I left home and started learning to cook. I think a lot of people are in that situation, being put off vegetables because they've never had them cooked properly before. I did feel shame at this though and made efforts to rectify it. I'm still a fussy eater but couldn't imagine getting to 60 and living on meat and potatoes.

Blue Jam

bakabaka

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 04, 2021, 12:32:24 PM
Surely you mean Smiley Smile?

sorry
You'll find me in the 'How stupid are you?" thread.

TrenterPercenter

I made some of my patented extra tasty black bean burgers the other day, alongside the toasted leguminous bad boys you get onion, green pepper, sweet corn and a chilli all blitzed up with breadcrumbs and cashew nuts then formed into patties.  If you put a enough salad in your bun your are knocking on the door of your five a day in one burger.

That is the way to do it people.

Also Sabich; Fried Aubergine, in a pitta with grated carrot, red onion, sweetcorn, pickled radish, pickled chillies, cucumber, olives, tomatoes. 

Again five a day, possibly more in a big fuck off pitta.

This is also a way to do it people.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: mothman on June 03, 2021, 11:07:13 PM
Seconded. Or maybe one-point-fived, don't find "vegeburger" too offensive as the portmanteauing softens it. But anyone who says "tele" instead of "telly" is a wrong'un.

Same for the correct abbreviation of breakfast, which is brekky. I eye anyone who spells it as "breaky" with suspicion.

flotemysost

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 04, 2021, 11:01:18 PM
Also Sabich; Fried Aubergine, in a pitta with grated carrot, red onion, sweetcorn, pickled radish, pickled chillies, cucumber, olives, tomatoes. 

Ooh yes, big fan of this.

I always find stir fried rice or noodles is an easy way to incorporate however many vegetables you want into one dish. I normally include aubergine, mushrooms, peas or mange tout and leek or onion, but you can put in pretty much whatever you want/have got lurking in the fridggie.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 04, 2021, 12:29:19 PM

I have an uncle who doesn't eat any fruit or veg. Every time our family went out for a meal he would order steak and chips, and only if a mixed grill wasn't available. At Christmas dinner he would have turkey, ham and roast potatoes and leave all the veg. My aunt would make a different starter especially for him because everyone else would have salad and he wouldn't touch it.

I have friends who, when I stopped eating animal products, made remarks like "What are you, 13?" and made the point that devouring the flesh of sentient creatures was a manly pursuit, somehow connected to being tough and rugged. I could understand this attitude if they were slaughtering and butchering their own meat, but how fucking manly do you have to be to buy some pork chops at Tesco? Anyway, none of my business what others eat and I would never call anybody out for eating meat - I just wish the same courtesy had been extended to me and my dietary choices.

Anyway - veg and noodle idea seconded. I bloody love vegetables. Last night I had a Beyond Meat burger with ketchup and fried onions, plus fries and a salad of spinach, lettuce, pak choi, cucumber, red onion, broccoli, tomato and one of them long mild green peppers that I can't recall the name of.

Not mad keen on aubergines or courgettes, but apart from that, veg is good.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on June 05, 2021, 09:14:53 AM
Ooh yes, big fan of this.

I've got my Syrian friend now teaching me how to make Middle Eastern cuisine and it's really does lay bare the Brits aversion to veggies (it's not our fault there are quite few reason why our food is so undeveloped); there is loads of fresh veggies and herbs with creamy stuff like yoghurt and hummus but then lots of acidic stuff like pickles and lemon juice and then of course chillies though from what he's shown me traditionally things are not very spicy really.  It's all about texture vs creamy vs sour.

Texture is the big one Brits are missing due to the tradition of boiling everything within an inch of it's life.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 05, 2021, 09:30:09 AM
I have friends who, when I stopped eating animal products, made remarks like "What are you, 13?" and made the point that devouring the flesh of sentient creatures was a manly pursuit, somehow connected to being tough and rugged. I could understand this attitude if they were slaughtering and butchering their own meat, but how fucking manly do you have to be to buy some pork chops at Tesco? Anyway, none of my business what others eat and I would never call anybody out for eating meat - I just wish the same courtesy had been extended to me and my dietary choices.

Yeah I don't get this; I used to work with a vegetarian who's meat eating inlaws would regularly make her feel uncomfortable at meal time for not eating meat.  OK maybe there is something in having to cook a second meal (or heaven forfend an entirely vegetarian one) but otherwise it's just bullshit. 

Personally I get immense pleasure from cooking for veggie friends if they are the only non-meat eaters in a group; when it comes to cooking I'm a craven anxiety ridden attention seeking weirdo that if a veggie is genuinely impressed with my food then I'll excuse myself and have a little cry of delight in the toilet.  Most outspoken meat eaters are quite easy to get praise from; here is some meat, and it is big, enjoy. Corr!

Kankurette

Quote from: bakabaka on June 04, 2021, 08:03:52 AM
This. Sitting in the pub and the conversation turns to "doggos" and suddenly you feel like you're babysitting a bunch of pre-schoolers.
Heckin doggo doin a bork, fren.

Vomit.

I'm Veginald Kray Kray!

I don't like all this eat them to defeat them lark.
I like it better when they're all happy and singing. Not angry and ugly and getting stabbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5eBCYpdnMQ

Kankurette

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 05, 2021, 10:05:36 AM
I've got my Syrian friend now teaching me how to make Middle Eastern cuisine and it's really does lay bare the Brits aversion to veggies (it's not our fault there are quite few reason why our food is so undeveloped); there is loads of fresh veggies and herbs with creamy stuff like yoghurt and hummus but then lots of acidic stuff like pickles and lemon juice and then of course chillies though from what he's shown me traditionally things are not very spicy really.  It's all about texture vs creamy vs sour.

Texture is the big one Brits are missing due to the tradition of boiling everything within an inch of it's life.
And tabbouleh. It is fit.

Texture is a huge thing for me. I like crunchy vegetables. Can't eat vegetables boiled to within an inch of their lives, like school dinners. I stopped eating meat in 2004 and don't miss it that much.

bakabaka

Quote from: Kankurette on June 05, 2021, 10:20:11 AM
Heckin doggo doin a bork, fren.

Vomit.
I've just been introduced to the word 'pupper'. They'll have to go preverbal if they want to take it any further.

Kankurette

I had a friend who referred to their dogs as 'puppers' and said 'yeppers' and 'nopers'. They were also a hypersensitive, manipulative control freak. I'm not sure if the two are connected.

I really don't get people who won't eat vegetables at all, unless they're autistic or have some kind of eating/sensory disorder. One of my exes was like that - I did the shopping for him when he was skint once and had to nag him to let me buy fruit and veg.

bgmnts

Do chips count as part of your five a day?

touchingcloth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 04, 2021, 08:11:40 AM
Swish!

Not huge on veggies but try and force a few portions in everyday because I don't want to die. It's more difficult when you have sketti bolognese for din like I did last night. How do you have veggies then?

Dunno.

If I have a fuck off bowl of pasta for din dins, I'll have a fuck off plate of salad first. I think the Italians and Americans do it right in this sense, and as Brits we can be too stuck in the mindset that salads and veg need to be served on the side rather than enjoyed in their own right.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: bgmnts on June 05, 2021, 11:34:39 AM
Do chips count as part of your five a day?

If you're a six chip twat

Gurke and Hare

Not huge on veggies but try and force a few portions in everyday because I don't want to die. It's more difficult when you have sketti bolognese for din like I did last night. How do you have veggies then?

Add them to the sauce? Start it off with a soffrito (chopped celery, onion and carrot), use some chopped red peppers in the sauce, mushrooms if you're a pervert. The tin of tomatoes counts too.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah I was thinking Spag Bol is pretty good on the internals for veggies anyway, but yeah mushrooms of course.  Then on the side have some greens something like asparagus/brocolli or cavallo nero.

Sebastian Cobb

Swish!

Dunno.

You can buy super greens powder which is all the veg you need in a powdery spoonful. But be warned if you mix it with water and try to drink it, it smells exactly like a lawnmower grassbox on a damp day.

kittens

Quote from: imitationleather on June 03, 2021, 10:10:54 PM
I like vegetables... But I couldn't eat a whole one!!!

Lol

Spiteface

Anyone else read the thread title in the style of Harry Hill doing Freaky Eaters on TV Burp?

VEGGIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Kankurette

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*

Speaking of which, celery with crunchy peanut butter spread on it. Great snack.