Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:39:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wikipedia articles which are exactly what you expect

Started by touchingcloth, June 04, 2021, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

In terms of both length and subject matter. For instance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatalities_due_to_wingsuit_flying

There's a table of about 50 people, including multiple instances of the phrases "failed to clear" and "onto a roof" and "into the side of a mountain" and "took a wrong turn, flew over the wrong ridge, and crashed into an alpine pasture", often prefixed with words such as "accidentally" and "unexpectedly" and "for unknown reasons".

Did you know that the guy who parachuted out of a helicopter dressed as Daniel Craig during the London 2012 opening ceremony died the next year in a manner which earned him a place on Wikipedia's "list of fatalities due to wingsuit flying" article? I didn't, but it is exactly what I expect.

Cold Meat Platter

All of them, really. Not sure why you're expecting curveballs.

thenoise

There's a film of that chap jumping off the Eiffel tower to test his "parachute coat" on YouTube. Not graphic but a bit morbid and depressing all the same. He had permission to do a test with a dummy, but was so confident of his invention decided to test it on himself first attempt. It didn't end well.

dissolute ocelot

This is really overlapping the Amusing Wikipedia Stuff thread but there's a whole category on animal attacks, from cougars (27 deaths in North America) to beavers (one fatality in Belarus).

Butchers Blind

kalowski

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 04, 2021, 11:03:19 AM
7620 metres without a parachute.

https://youtu.be/xMoAELwzGjo
Holy fuck. I was dizzy with nerves, even though I knew I wasn't about to watch someone jump to their death. (On another note, I have seen someone jump to their death).

Bernice

touchingcloth

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 04, 2021, 11:03:19 AM
7620 metres without a parachute.

https://youtu.be/xMoAELwzGjo

Quote from: kalowski on June 04, 2021, 12:37:56 PM
Holy fuck. I was dizzy with nerves, even though I knew I wasn't about to watch someone jump to their death. (On another note, I have seen someone jump to their death).

The title of the video - "air diver" - made me think he was going to end in water. I feel cheated.

Ferris

mothman

Literally one dead female wing jumper. Make of that what you will. And she was apparently very experienced too, they feel the need to point that out...

touchingcloth

Men are less aerodynamic because of our beer guts and fantastic penises. It stands to reason.

Replies From View

Jittlebags

Quote from: Replies From View on June 04, 2021, 10:42:14 PM
Wikipedia page on shitting

Will probably include a diagram depicting various turd textures a la Bristol. Will probably not include info on the legality of posting a turd through the post to someone you dissaprove on. Mentioning no Prime Ministers.

willbo

I remember in the early 00s when the "Judaism in Rugrats" article was being held up as an example of wiki gone too far

thenoise

Quote from: mothman on June 04, 2021, 09:23:47 PM
Literally one dead female wing jumper. Make of that what you will. And she was apparently very experienced too, they feel the need to point that out...

I'm sure she did her best.

Blue Jam

Hate wingsuit mechanics in video games, can never get the hang of them, there's no way I'd ever try out a real one.

Quote from: willbo on June 05, 2021, 07:30:18 AM
I remember in the early 00s when the "Judaism in Rugrats" article was being held up as an example of wiki gone too far

Reading this I thought "I bet that cites the work of at least one PhD student". Yep, few academic articles in there, someone probably did use that exact phrase as a thesis title.

It reminds me of that Twitter exchange someone had with Armando Iannucci where he proudly retweeted their post about how they were about to start a PhD on themes of gender in In The Loop. Not that much weirder than doing one on religious language in Paradise Lost, I guess.

jenna appleseed

mothman

Ferris

Dr Rock

idunnosomename

I always thought the whole thing of making him the baddy in the movie was terribly pandering to meta pop-culture and essentially a rum thing to do for a children's movie.

mothman

Definitely. Had no strong opinions either way about Scrappy, but that just seemed incredibly trite. And there was nothing Scrappylike about the movie version.