Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch (Revision)

Started by Chedney Honks, June 04, 2021, 12:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

After a couple of years of rumbling about the Switch Pro, the revised/upgraded Switch is set to be announced imminently (according to rumour), and apparently defo before E3.

On the other hand, the noises are that it won't be a significant upgrade at all, more like a better screen and battery than a souped up machine. I would be disappointed if so because I never play it handheld.

I don't have any desire or expectation for the Switch to be pumping out 4K60 but a meaningful number of the first party games that I bought since launch simply don't run very well.

I'd like an upgraded system which will do 1080p60 for all future and past Switch games, to be completely honest. I expect something way less than that.

I have no interest in any Switch releases besides the absolute top tier at this point and aside from Monster Hunter Rise, I can't recall really getting excited about an exclusive Switch game in a couple of years.

Are you interested in this in any way?

Pink Gregory

hopefully no exclusive titles, then; to be honest I don't mind slightly lacking performance, I'm not going to play the games on anything else.

I say this because i don't understand how people have money to drop on console revisions, let alone new consoles.  Would have regretted not getting my Switch last year.  so this is alright for me i guess.

Beagle 2

I'm excited about it because it's getting to the stage where I should be handing over my Switch to the boy and getting my own and I want mine to be best.

It would be a disappointment if it wasn't a decent improvement because the amazement at seeing five year old top tier games running on a handheld has definitely given way to "this new game looks a bit shit" over the last year or two. Bowser's Fury for example, it would be nice to see that look how it should really look.

Goddamn Switch though, I know if they release this new one and I buy it for an obscene amount of money and it's a huge anticlimax... I'll still use it every day. 

The rumours suggest it'll support DLSS which is AI-based upscaling, so we should see a significant increase in image quality without tanking the framerate. Obviously a handheld device like this won't have as many Tensor cores as a PC GPU, so 4K60 might be a bit of an ask, but it'll be a big improvement over what we've currently got.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/technologies/dlss/

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 04, 2021, 01:41:48 PMI say this because i don't understand how people have money to drop on console revisions
Sell the old one? I did it with 360 and PS4 and I'll do it again for Switch

Kelvin

I'm relatively excited, with the caveat that Nintendo frequently under-deliver with expectations, so I'm trying to keep mine in check. I'm not even convinced we'll hear about it this month. There's just over a week for them to announce it now, and there's going to be far too much hype around other games news by the middle of next week. Maybe the chip shortages affecting all three consoles have persuaded them to hold off on announcing it until they have more news on that front? I dunno, but I remain sceptical that it's a) going to be a meaningful technical improvement (even with the upscaling tech that's rumoured), or b) available to anyone but scalpers this year.

buntyman

I've been buying digital games on my switch using about 6 different Nintendo accounts across the different refund so that I can get them cheapest. Not sure what accounts I've bought them on now so would probably be a real pain in the arse to upgrade to a new model. Though if they give access to new games that the current one can't play I'd probably do it.

Timothy

Quote from: buntyman on June 04, 2021, 10:08:13 PM
I've been buying digital games on my switch using about 6 different Nintendo accounts across the different refund so that I can get them cheapest. Not sure what accounts I've bought them on now so would probably be a real pain in the arse to upgrade to a new model. Though if they give access to new games that the current one can't play I'd probably do it.

If you keep your old Switch before selling it you can transfer data and accounts between the two Switches.
I bought a Lite last week and it was quite easy to do so. In half an hour I got all my accounts from one Switch to the other.

buntyman

Quote from: Timothy on June 05, 2021, 12:52:30 PM
If you keep your old Switch before selling it you can transfer data and accounts between the two Switches.
I bought a Lite last week and it was quite easy to do so. In half an hour I got all my accounts from one Switch to the other.

Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully they don't try to clamp down on it in the next model. It's quite an odd quirk that they allow all the accounts to access all the games regardless of which one purchased it. Why would you move from a normal Switch to a Lite out of interest?