Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Love Death + Robots new eps

Started by Dex Sawash, June 04, 2021, 02:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

olliebean

I'm glad it's a shorter series this time; it'll make it less of a slog to get through all the rubbish ones in search of the occasional good one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched the new series the weekend it was released and was going to start a thread about it, but I couldn't be bothered. Here are some scattered thoughts on it, weeks later:

• Despite my wish to see 'adult' animation break out of its comedy pigeonhole, the more comical episodes were among the better ones (mostly because they weren't full of gratuitous tits and gore). That said, I thought the one with the killer Roomba wasn't as fun or charming as The Millers Vs. The Machines.
  • Like the first series, there was only one serious episode that seemed particularly mature, instead of targeted at teenage boys (the one about the dead giant).
  • The episode about the detective ought to be renamed Knife Sprinter. Also, it had a touch of Gattaca.
  • The one with the space whales had more than a touch of Gattaca. It also had future teen twat speak, which is possibly the one thing even more embarrassing than the sex and violence.
  • How did they get Michael B. Jordan? And how effective could the killbot he was up against really be if
    Spoiler alert
    it's as easy to distract as a pet cat
    [close]
    ?
  • Some of the animation is astonishingly realistic, but what is point when we have cameras?

mothman

I thought this was a whole order of inferiority worse than the first season. Still good animation, but that's the part you'd have expected to suffer due to COVID. But it's the stories that were inferior across the board. None of the big name writers - or of equivalent stature - to the first season, apart from Scalzi who's really not distinguished as a short-story writer. With a complete volte-face on the inclusion of any of the wank-fodder that was so prevalent in the first season, it's hard not to wonder what the point of it all is.

Dex Sawash

I watched them tonight. Christmas one was fun. I liked The Tall Grass a lot. I forget what the rest were like.

kidsick5000

Was quite let down with this series.
The animation style wasn't as diverse, the concepts not as inventive.
Not a patch on Yoghurt or Zuma Blue.
Difficult second album syndrome

Dex Sawash

The vacuum one was shit with shit jokes.

Alberon

It's frustrating as there are a lot of good short SF out there that would work as a TV show. Not all of the good ones can be optioned or too expensive, surely?

I'd like to see some novels done as animated series. Even expensive shows like Altered Carbon can't really keep up with the novels, but an animated show could. Even if it was a cheaper style like Invincible. Classic novels like Ringworld or The Stainless Steel Rat have been optioned on and off for decades and newer works like Revelation Space could make a great mini-series.

Spend too much money on a non-franchise film and you're probably going to lose it. The upcoming Dune film could be fantastic, but it almost certainly is not going to turn a profit. But a cheaper animation project could without dumbing down the whole endeavour to get the largest audience.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 05, 2021, 07:46:32 PM
The vacuum one was shit with shit jokes.

I didn't mind that one. Even though it came out after the magnificent The Mitchell's vs The Machines.

It was the only one for me of the second set that had pace and timing. I feel a key mistake to make in animation is to have your character talk like it's live action, because even the most realistic animation struggles with the small movements that allow pauses. If your characters aren't moving or talking, it's dead air. Dramatic pauses work differently in animation.

Dex Sawash

I have a profound inability to watch things properly. I can see those things ^ once they are pointed out. Jokes were still facebook share tier though.

olliebean

I thought the robo-vacuum one was "OK," in the sense that it filled 10 minutes without me getting bored with it and turning it off - something that the second one (the only other one I've thus far attempted to watch) didn't manage.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That one episode about the bloke who's so manly that his balls give him superpowers, like Wolverine crossed with Buster Gonads. That's basically the whole series in a nutsack shell.