Author Topic: being made to watch comedy by someone else  (Read 3017 times)

being made to watch comedy by someone else
« on: June 05, 2021, 07:53:48 AM »
I remember when I was a kid various relatives would put on Monty Python or Two Ronnies sketches they had on video. And they'd look at us kids expectantly to see how much we laughed as we saw them for the first time. It always feels like a bit of pressure, even if the sketch really is funny.

(Plus...when they were younger, watching it on first broadcast, they'd never seen anything like it. Whereas us kids had already seen more recent shows influenced by them which were even more anarchic.)

I've had similar experiences with adult friends putting Jimmy Carr or Lee Evans on or whatever. I dunno...I never like being introduced to comedy by an eager friend.

Re: being made to watch comedy by someone else
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »
Absolutely hate this, I feel a similar pressure when opening Christmas presents in front of the person who gave it to me, even if I love it I feel obliged to go above and beyond in displaying that and then worry that will come across as false.

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
Two examples involving my dad. He was a big fan of Alistair McGowan's Big Impression. Not sure why, I thought it was okay but not brilliant. Anyway, there was a special on Christmas Day 2002 that he insisted that my sister and I watched with him, telling us how hilarious it would be. On this occasion though instead of just a series of separate sketches there was some sort of intertwined storyline. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it just didn't work so we sat in almost total silence through the entire thing, with the very occasional very weak laugh from pops. It was excruciating. He never mentioned the show again.

He didn't have bad taste in comedy though so a few years earlier I thought Knowing Me Knowing You would be right up his street. I told him about it and even went round to my folks' place to watch it with him. Only to find out that he just didn't get it at all. Not that he thought it was a real chat show or anything, but it just totally bypassed his sense of humour. Needless to say, I never mentioned the show to him after that.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
Friend tried to get me to like The Mighty Boosh by sitting me down and making me watch 3 episodes. I wouldn't have liked it if I'd watched it through choice, but being force fed just made me actively hate it.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »
I was watching TV with my mum and girlfriend.  They'd only just met and small talk was running a bit thin so I was channel surfing for something to put on that would lighten the mood a bit.

'Oh you'll like Stewart Lee' I said, 'he's very funny'.  Unfortunately the moment we tuned in was about 3 mnutes away from his 'nibbling on a poppadom for 10 minutes' bit.

Toe curling....

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 03:15:15 PM »
I haven't done this since I watched the first episode of Wonder Showzen, was blown away by it, and suggested my Sister and friend watch it with me as soon as they could only for them both to not even smile throughout the whole thing. Normally we had a lot in common comedy wise but it was mortifying as they stared at me as if I was a lunatic for loving it, and put me off sharing things I love with people, at least when it comes to watching it with them.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

• Oh it's a whole flock of detectives
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »
hate this. luckily my friends that do it don't sit there looking at me with an expectant face thank god but it is really uncomfortable.

it's worst is when you either don't get it/think it's complete shit and sit there blank faced and just know you're coming across as like an aloof prick or in the opinion of one friend "going out of your way to not find it funny".

neveragain

• Edited by Paul Merton
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 03:34:14 PM »
I distinctly remember being forced to watch what seemed like 17 episodes of Flight of the Conchords by a uni friend, who had just moved to a new flat at which I was visiting him. Eventually, even though an enjoyable show, it was dragging me into a comatose state and I politely asked my friend if we could change tack. At that point my friend's new flatmate, who had been sat quietly in the corner, looked desperately sad and left in silence.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 03:35:13 PM »
You gotta play it cool and act like you're disinterestedly watching it and you don't really care if they're with you or not. Or it's got to be eye-catchingly hilarious from the very beginning. Just successfully introduced my fiancee to Dhoom II this week by combining both techniques.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 03:48:25 PM »
I don't mind if it's actually funny. It's when it's some shite like Roy Chubby Brown that it gets awkward. Especially if the other person expects you to laugh at it.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »
I don't mind if it's actually funny. It's when it's some shite like Roy Chubby Brown that it gets awkward. Especially if the other person expects you to laugh at it.

For once, I've just laughed at Chubby.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/im-not-homophobic-racist-sexist-15821733

H-O-W-L

• Just A Number Ridin' Solo In The Code
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »
My parents always try and get me to watch this fucking boomer comedy phone-shot stuff they've seen on their Facebooks. They thrust their phones toward me and try and get me to watch some Lovely Cockney Lad talking about Ow P--fs Is Mental. I love my parents but they can be viscerally tonedeaf to the intolerances of their humor and it's truly galling to have to sit there and mime amusement so I don't offend them.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
The secret is to immediately discount anyone and everyone’s opinion.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 06:15:13 PM »
My girlfriend and I used to force US/UK stuff on each.

I discovered Tim & Eric through her, but it's mostly been SNL shite.
My hit rate for her has been far higher, but that's because I've better taste than she does.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 12:16:45 AM »
Conversely, if my father didn't make me listen to his Tony Hancock/ Round The Horne/ The Goons/ Bob Newhart LPs in the mid-1970s, I certainly wouldn't be posting on CaB today.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

• Your sleep paralysis demon
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 01:45:40 AM »
My sister's boyfriend once made us watch a full episode of Ugly Betty because he liked it. I didn't like it.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 02:02:41 AM »
My parents making me watch 10 videos in a row of “farmer Michael” a hilarious Irish YouTube person

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 03:22:37 AM »
Showing people comedy is one of the most excruciating human transactions. Unless you know that person really well and have some idea of what makes them laugh - and that's still no guarantee - you should never, ever do it.

A good friend of mine, a lovely man of taste and discernment, really likes The Mighty Boosh. I can't even begin to understand what's funny about them. It was awful - truly awful - when he showed one of their sketches to me. I didn't know what to say, I just felt so embarrassed.

But we're still friends. A heartwarming anecdote.

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 04:12:27 AM »
He didn't have bad taste in comedy though so a few years earlier I thought Knowing Me Knowing You would be right up his street. I told him about it and even went round to my folks' place to watch it with him. Only to find out that he just didn't get it at all. Not that he thought it was a real chat show or anything, but it just totally bypassed his sense of humour. Needless to say, I never mentioned the show to him after that my Dad didn’t have the last laugh.

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 04:17:39 AM »
Just successfully introduced my fiancee to Dhoom II this week by combining both techniques.

I never know where to start when introducing friends to Dhoom II; E1M1 or E2M7.

timebug

• Father of Serge
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 08:34:42 AM »
Mate of  mine,who is not much of a telly watcher anyway, was cajoled by his brother to watch 'the funniest thing ever' on TV with him. Turned out to be 'Mrs Browns Boys' and my mate seriously worried for his brothers mental health!

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »
Conversely, if my father didn't make me listen to his Tony Hancock/ Round The Horne/ The Goons/ Bob Newhart LPs in the mid-1970s, I certainly wouldn't be posting on CaB today.

I think everything older relatives showed me was good. They were just never as good as the weight of expectation made them feel. But I think that's the same with anything influential, because the next generation knows the influences that went farther. I mean parents would make me watch Morecambe and Wise repeats with them at Christmas. And I thought they were funny and sweet. But I could sense I'd never understand the huge importance it had to them

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
I mean parents would make me watch Morecambe and Wise repeats with them at Christmas. And I thought they were funny and sweet. But I could sense I'd never understand the huge importance it had to them

I was lucky my mum had great taste in TV comedy, especially US shows and I remember watching MASH/Taxi/Rhoda/Cheers etc when I was under 10 with her. It was my mum that taped Seinfeld and Larry Saunders when they were on their original UK late night double bill because she thought it would be something I'd really like and I was always out at that time. My dad wasn't really into TV, but for some reason watched Vic Reeve's Big Night Out which he loved and said I had to see - strangely he's never watched any of the Vic and Bob stuff since then but is a fan of Bob and Paul's fishing show.

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 02:46:57 PM »
There's a lot of American shows like Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother where I've gradually been worn down by other people repeatedly putting them on, and I can sort of find them amusing after several hours of staring at blank incomprehension. Although that's never happened with the Vicar of Dibley which for several years was on every time I went home to my parents. Thank heavens for the invention of mobile phones (and the lack of manners to fiddle with them).

I used to live with someone who refused to watch classic era Simpsons because she'd been forced to watch by her brother and now would have nothing to do with it. This is very very sad.

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
I remember when I was a kid various relatives would put on Monty Python or Two Ronnies sketches they had on video. And they'd look at us kids expectantly to see how much we laughed as we saw them for the first time. It always feels like a bit of pressure, even if the sketch really is funny.

(Plus...when they were younger, watching it on first broadcast, they'd never seen anything like it. Whereas us kids had already seen more recent shows influenced by them which were even more anarchic.)

Yes, context is everything.  You've not come at it from the same route as they have.  Just shoving a Two Ronnies sketch in front of someone who might have been born long after the last episode aired and expecting them to be as thrilled with it as you are is expecting too much.

I'm reminded of the scene in Pitch Perfect when a guy gets a girl* to watch the final scene from The Breakfast Club and it makes no impression on her.  What did he expect?  It's meaningless if you've not seen the whole film.

(*All my film descriptions are like this, I'm really bad with remembering names, ok,)

McFlymo

• Pre-"Post Reply" Anxiety
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 03:07:07 PM »
I fucking hate this. After years of therapy I recently took a break, thinking I was all good in the head department and everything was coming up Milhouse, but after a couple of weeks of my (potential) new partner recommending me music and TV shows, that have often been just quite shite, I booked myself in for a catch up session with my aul faithful head doc! The potential conflict of disagreeing about these things is traumatising for me.

In fairness he did put me onto The Boys (Amazon Prime thing) and it's pretty decent, but he's also been recommending me SNL sketches and music by some cute white boys singing over a phat beat about love, which is just absolute cack.

madhair60

• わたしは価値がないと感じます
  • Golden Member
  • ほっといてくれ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 03:23:41 PM »
no i don't want to watch "arrested development" you fucking dipshit, we're at a fucking party. imbecile

Clownbaby

• Toe to tip, this is a Bart
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
I honestly fucking dread the cursed phrase "you know what I think you'd like?"

My and my mam have a very similar sense of humour, basically the same, and most of the comedy I like happens to be what I was shown when I was little so I've rarely had that cringey moment showing her something I like. I only misfired with Eric Andre and Chris Fleming. When I discovered Limmy I was so apprehensive that he wouldn't hit right but she loves him. My dad, a little harder to peg regarding how he actually will react to something but he tends to skew towards more pre-90s comedy that is silly and maybe a bit strange but not too dry or dark

For some reason, people who don't know me very well often seem to think I either already like Rick and Morty or will love it if they show me it or explain it to me,  even though I've never really mentioned it or shown an interest in similar things. Don't really know what that's all about.

There's a lass I work with who I showed Always Sunny to and she loves it, but she likes Brooklyn Nine Nine more and keeps telling me about it as though I haven't heard of it even though I've seen quite a lot of it and it's aite, not arsed about it either way. Annoyingly she thinks I just think anything dark is funny though, no matter how naff it might be so I've been tagged in and expectabtly shown a lot of crap Reddit-style edgy humour and for a while Star Wars memes even though guess what, I also said I'm not arsed either way about Star Wars.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:43:34 PM by Clownbaby »

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2021, 06:23:01 PM »
Even worse than the basic 'being made to watch someone else's idea of a good comedy' is when they put it on, and it's not particularly funny, but they treat you to a running commentary...
...we haven't got to the best bit yet...
....this isn't one of the better episodes...
...there was this amazing bit in another episode...

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2021, 08:06:59 PM »
Someone I used to know excitedly put on some YouTube videos of that Ahmed the Dead Terrorist puppet from about 12 years ago. Because I didn't know him that well I felt I couldn't outright say it was shite.

Tags: