Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:13:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

being made to watch comedy by someone else

Started by willbo, June 05, 2021, 07:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 06, 2021, 08:06:59 PM
Someone I used to know excitedly put on some YouTube videos of that Ahmed the Dead Terrorist puppet from about 12 years ago. Because I didn't know him that well I felt I couldn't outright say it was shite racist.

Avril Lavigne

I hate showing people comedy I like. Put a Youtube clip on for my Dad a couple of weeks ago and almost had a panic attack before it was over.

Ferris

I recommended Nirvanna the Band: the Show to a very good friend the other day on Skype and he responded by breaking down in tears and telling me he was considering leaving his wife.

A mixed bag.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on June 05, 2021, 03:48:25 PM
I don't mind if it's actually funny. It's when it's some shite like Roy Chubby Brown that it gets awkward. Especially if the other person expects you to laugh at it.

A mate of mine from schooldays was severely into Chubby Brown when he was in his 20. I couldn't really work out why. He's not racist or sexist in real life and although he can be a bit laddish sometimes, he's also quite a deep thinker and prone to depression. He lent me a cassette of Chubby live telling me it was hilarious. I did listen and didn't find it so. Nor did I find it particularly offensive either. A few decent jokes but very predictable. My mate hasn't mentioned Brown for years though, and now claims that Bill Hicks is the greatest comedian ever. I don't agree with that either.

And while we're on about schoolfriends I have a memory of watching the Kenny Everett Video Show round at my best mate's and him suddenly going to me: "You don't think this is funny, do you?" Well, not particularly, but I think your laughter's a bit over the top. It's not THAT funny.

And to complete the set, I loved The Inbetweeners. Thought it was brilliant. Then on a night out a friend of mine (who had introduced me to it. I didn't see it until halfway through the second series) mentioned me seeing the first film twice in a week (I'd sort of promised him and somebody else that I'd go with both of them) and a female friend of mine was appalled. She said that her and her husband (who I also went to school with) had been sat down to watch an episode by someone who had promised they would find it hilarious. And both sat stony-faced throughout. "It's just about being crude, isn't it?" Well, not quite but if that's what you take from it. I'm just glad I didn't mention it to them.

Clownbaby

I think the last thing i was expectantly shown by a friend was Sam Hyde, who just has always felt to me like someone who technically does stuff that should be very close to comedy I like but, controversies aside, even, he's just completely charmless to me. Close but deeply wrong, and always leads to me tiredly explaining that yes he's similar to other things I like but no I don't care for what he's doing even though I love Eric Andre and the odd bit of Tim and Eric or Nathan For You. Sam Hyde though? Nah can't get away with him. I couldn't be arsed though that day so I forced a laugh and made a few vague ''hmmm!" noises to neither confirm nor deny whether I just laughed or not

My thing I am guilty of badgering people to watch if they already like Always Sunny is Reno 911, just because I feel like they both hit in a specific way, with a perfect storm of a grotesque/desperate but bizarrely charming main and supporting cast that are surprisingly easy to become invested in, despite both shows making zero attempt to put any character in a flattering light. I wouldn't lecture someone about these feelings though, I just usually say they're spiritually similar but Reno is a deadpan COPS pastiche as well

Glitch King

Heard a lot about Reno 911 so I'll be checking that out later today, thanks!

An tSaoi

Quote from: Mobius on June 06, 2021, 02:02:41 AM
My parents making me watch 10 videos in a row of "farmer Michael" a hilarious Irish YouTube person

KATHLEEN YA TAEPOT!

You have my sympathies.

Bazooka

The last time was about five years ago now, my colleague was talking about Bert Kreischer, first he described the routine about Bert going to Russia and getting drunk with some Russian gangsters. It's even harder to laugh(verging on impossible) at the description of a stand up routine, then about 10 minutes later he brings his Mac over to my desk, yes it's time to watch Bert Kreischer tell his fake story full of vanilla Russian impressions which the American audience go mental for.

This clip lasted around 8 minutes, and my lower throat fake laugh played along for the duration.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Glitch King on June 08, 2021, 06:59:05 AM
Heard a lot about Reno 911 so I'll be checking that out later today, thanks!

Awesome, I'll be right there next to you, desperately analysing your face for any signs of amusement

sutin

I remember all my friends loved Nathan Barley and would constantly put it on at gatherings. About the smugest, most humourless drivel i've ever seen.

Norton Canes

Interesting, sat down to watch Fawlty Towers 'The Health Inspector' on BBC1 last night and thought about inviting Canes Jr (aged 17) to watch along, but after about five minutes realised there was nothing he'd laugh at (and he does have discerning comedy tastes. Well, he likes Inside No.9)

Virgo76

I would argue being recommended a particular comedy by someone else is fine. The awkwardness comes when they're watching t with you, rather than letting you sample it at your own pace.
I remember watching the film True Romance with some friends who kept telling me the "funniest bit ever" was coming up.
It was the cocaine bit. It was quite funny. It still is. But I didn't laugh.
Partly its because some people automatically seem to find any humour related to drugs (such as the film, Dark Star), automatically hysterical. I don't.
It's also, of course, because they hyped the sequence up so much that they completely killed all the humour.

Jockice

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 08, 2021, 12:49:58 PM
I would argue being recommended a particular comedy by someone else is fine. The awkwardness comes when they're watching t with you, rather than letting you sample it at your own pace.
I remember watching the film True Romance with some friends who kept telling me the "funniest bit ever" was coming up.

I've had that with two cousins from opposite sides of my family in the early 90s. I don't think they've even ever met. They live almost 600 miles from each other. And that's as the crow flies. But it was a very similar scenario in both cases. The big build up to a 'brilliant' bit that I just didn't find funny at all. I can't even remember what the films were either. One starred that bloke from Wayne's World/Austin Powers, but not as one of them, and the other was a National Lampoon-type thing , although possibly not an actual National Lampoon one. Probably both best forgotten.

MortSahlFan

One problem that hasn't been addressed yet is how people talk DURING the comedy.. How the hell can one understand or like something if they didn't hear it?

Jockice

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 08, 2021, 12:34:22 PM
Interesting, sat down to watch Fawlty Towers 'The Health Inspector' on BBC1 last night and thought about inviting Canes Jr (aged 17) to watch along, but after about five minutes realised there was nothing he'd laugh at (and he does have discerning comedy tastes. Well, he likes Inside No.9)

Nothing at all? Blimey!

Clownbaby

To be fair I can't get away with Fawlty Towers either. I get it, I know what it is that other people find funny about it but I never laugh. Same with Monty Python

Quote from: Mobius on June 06, 2021, 02:02:41 AM
My parents making me watch 10 videos in a row of "farmer Michael" a hilarious Irish YouTube person

You poor bastard. 10. If you've seen one, you've seen the lot.

"Michael, what do you think about something socially progressive happening?"

"WHATT ARE YE TALKIN' ABOWT KATLEEN, YA FOCKIN' FAT CONT, DERE'S NO GEES OR BLAHKS OR CHOINAISE OR WIMMIN IN OIRLAND IN DA FOCKIN' FARST PLAICE!"

Fair fucks making a career out of that.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 06, 2021, 08:06:59 PM
Someone I used to know excitedly put on some YouTube videos of that Ahmed the Dead Terrorist puppet from about 12 years ago. Because I didn't know him that well I felt I couldn't outright say it was shite.

Christ, a girl I fancied made me sit through that. Her response to "Isn't that a bit racist?" was the end of that particular courtship.

robhug

These moments are improved considerably if you and preferably whoever's making you watch it are thoroughly stoned

Thomas

A friend once eagerly showed me an amateur 20-minute Dragon Ball Z parody, despite knowing that I have zero awareness of Dragon Ball Z.

badaids

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 07, 2021, 12:56:00 AM
I recommended Nirvanna the Band: the Show to a very good friend the other day on Skype and he responded by breaking down in tears and telling me he was considering leaving his wife.

A mixed bag.

I recommended his to a good friend last the other day at work and he responded by saying it was 'alright', which is far worse I think we can all agree. He had already told me the week before that his wife was considering leaving him.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 08, 2021, 12:49:58 PM
Partly its because some people automatically seem to find any humour related to drugs (such as the film, Dark Star), automatically hysterical. I don't.

Huh?  How is Dark Star in any way whosoever related to drugs?

Catalogue Trousers

Time Out claimed that it has 'jokey references to drugs'. They also claimed that 'one crew member makes it back to earth on an improvised (surf) board'. Since said crew member
Spoiler alert
actually burns to death in the atmosphere of an alien planet
[close]
, I don't trust their review much.

I do seem to recall a short scene in which one or two of the crew smoke a joint, although that could just be in the novelisation. Oh, and the poster tag line (in the UK, at least) was 'Bombed Out In Space With A Spaced Out Bomb', but that doesn't automatically mean drugs either.  Whatever the case, we're hardly talking Cheech and Chong here.

Virgo76

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 08, 2021, 07:56:30 PM

I definitely came away with the impression you'd have to be stoned to really enjoy watching it in full.

willbo

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 08, 2021, 07:56:30 PM

I think just because it's written in the stereotypical stoner movie style (chilled out hippies/students talking shit) etc

St_Eddie

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 10, 2021, 03:31:58 AM
Time Out claimed that it has 'jokey references to drugs'. They also claimed that 'one crew member makes it back to earth on an improvised (surf) board'. Since said crew member
Spoiler alert
actually burns to death in the atmosphere of an alien planet
[close]
, I don't trust their review much.

I do seem to recall a short scene in which one or two of the crew smoke a joint, although that could just be in the novelisation. Oh, and the poster tag line (in the UK, at least) was 'Bombed Out In Space With A Spaced Out Bomb', but that doesn't automatically mean drugs either.  Whatever the case, we're hardly talking Cheech and Chong here.

There's no joint smoking in the film; only cigars and cigarettes.

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 10, 2021, 05:54:35 AM
I definitely came away with the impression you'd have to be stoned to really enjoy watching it in full.

Pfft.  Dark Star is a fantastic film (and along with The Odd Couple, the main inspiration for Red Dwarf, fact fans) and one which I regularly watch when fully sober.  I won't hear a bad word said about it.

madhair60

Dark Star is a piece of fucking shit. No, I haven't seen it. I just looked it up. It sounds quite good to be honest.