Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glin's Slide No. 9: TransIXclusionary

Started by madhair60, June 05, 2021, 10:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Just thought that Graham is probably the only able-bodied man in Britain who doesn't own a mask. Even Lawrence Fox probably has one for emergencies when the Ocado delivery doesn't arrive.

JaDanketies

Quote from: phantom_power on July 22, 2021, 10:45:39 AM
It is all bunk

Yes. I think terfs are aiming for social pressure to convince trans women to use male facilities in general - except for in the police, hospital, etc where they'll be forced to use male facilities - and claim that this soft pressure on trans women will stop psycho cis men from doing crimes in women's facilities. It'd be even harder to pretend that this is the least-harm result.

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 21, 2021, 11:59:55 PM
On "women feel unsafe in public": We don't actually feel unsafe in public all the time. In fact every woman you know has done at least one stupid thing that could've ended really badly because she felt safe, like, ohhhh, walk home from the city centre at 1am because she couldn't be arsed trying to find a taxi, or arranged to meet a strange man in a town she's never been to before so she can test-drive the car he's selling.[nb]Just to pick two examples completely at random.[/nb] And I don't want to speak for all women everywhere, but when I do feel unsafe in public, it's usually because of a bunch of dodgy/drunk cis men. Very rarely will another woman or women make me feel unsafe, cis or trans.[nb]Groups of teenagers make me nervous but that's an age thing, not a woman thing.[/nb]
Co-signed. Whenever I've been sexually harassed or followed or, in one case, sexually assaulted, it was a cis man who did it. Earlier this year, when I went to see my brother for his birthday, it was a cis man who decided to white knight for me and harass a bus driver, and then call me a slag when I yelled at him to stop. And trans women are supposed to be the enemy? How many cis women have been murdered by trans women, compared to cis men?

jobotic

idunnosomename

Bahahaha. Why is she wearing a fucking cape

Kankurette

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on July 22, 2021, 11:31:34 AM
Yes. Their arguments are all constructed retroactively to justify transphobia. They will hold multiple contradictory positions, including overtly misogynist ones, as long as the end result harms trans people. It'll be "biological reality" up until that stops being convenient, then it'll switch to "shared experience", then back again. They're completely and openly dishonest about what their position actually is ("trans people are gross freaks and should stop existing") and want to be treated as though it's "women's rights need safeguarding" instead, hence Philimore's non-sequitur pivot from "let's rally around a woman accused of hate speech" to "women are treated worse as their bodies age". If you disagree with one statement, you disagree with both, apparently?

A lot of it comes from a specific demographic of women not being able to control the discourse around feminism like they used to. I'm a lapsed academic from this field, and so much of the feminist work that informed these people assumes universal experiences, written by... white cis women from the global north. So if you're big on declaiming that women are oppressed, the revelation that women like you are complicit in oppressing other women means you need to maybe step back and listen to them, and take on board things you might not like to hear. Alternatively, you can dig your heels in and present those challenges as yet another tool of patriarchy which is going to be reSISTERed by WITCHES and then walk in lockstep with the far right because they hate other women slightly more than you. Graham, also fuelled by wounded vanity after discovering he's not the cuddly male saviour he thought he was, gels perfectly.
Hence why so many of Mumsnet are Tories, or end up supporting people like Donald Trump. Who cares how misogynistic they are? They're anti-trans and that is enough.

Incidentally, white women on MN who invade the black board and post defensive/racist bullshit there REALLY do not like being called out on their hypocrisy. They want women-only spaces but G-d forbid black women have their own space. Or that they admit that white women aren't exactly innocent either. I am one myself. I don't want to come across as self-flagellating but I'm well aware white women can and do use white privilege as a weapon, like that idiot in Victoria's Secret the other day who started on a black woman and then rolled around like a toddler playing the victim.

Not saying all TERFs are racist, obviously. But a fair few of them are.

franticplanet

I can't get over the way he flinches at 9 seconds here, like he's just seen that bit in Signs where the alien walks into frame.

https://twitter.com/DetachedAstro0/status/1417705257182842880

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: spam on July 22, 2021, 01:11:17 PM
I can't get over the way he flinches at 9 seconds here, like he's just seen that bit in Signs where the alien walks into frame.

Probably thought Limmy had rocked up. Let out a little bit of poo.

Mister Six

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on July 22, 2021, 11:31:34 AM
reSISTERed by WITCHES

Sorry to snip this little bit out of a very sensible and well-written post, but I just wanted to say how odd it is to see all this "witch" shite all over the terfosphere when all the actual witches I know are either trans or trans-friendy.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2021, 01:33:05 PM
Sorry to snip this little bit out of a very sensible and well-written post, but I just wanted to say how odd it is to see all this "witch" shite all over the terfosphere when all the actual witches I know are either trans or trans-friendy.

They don't mean 'wiccans'. They mean 'women who were oppressed and burnt at the stake for merely being a woman in a patriarchal society'. It's about the victim status. Obviously wiccans would hex these fucks

frajer

Graham Linehan meets his supporters.

sophie.pilbeam

Oh 100% same here too. They're just desperate to appropriate any and all instances of women suffering or rebelling so that they can pretend any criticism of them is patriarchal. Brave warrior witches, supported by such bastions of feminism as The Daily Mail and the Proud Boys.

DJ Bob Hoskins

To be fair to Glinner (not that there's any reason to be), I think he did that for comedic effect. And it could be considered a success considering it's the only amusing thing he's done in about 20 years.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on July 22, 2021, 07:20:24 AM
And they don't think trans women are men. If they did, they wouldn't be directing all their venom and hate specifically at us. They know we don't have the power and privilege that cis men have, they know institutional power is stacked against us, they know that abusive men will join in, and that makes us an easy target that's probably not going to push back very hard.

I was angry when I wrote this and it isn't very coherent. I think they do view us as men sort of, but their whole worldview is (as we've been saying) a complete mess driven by transphobia and narcissism. I think they view us as a subordinated group within masculinity, but they're also so mired in essentialism and binaries that they can't articulate the concept of there being multiple kinds of masculinity in the first place. The point is that they also know, deep down, that we're not a threat to them in the way that they talk about "men" being, because they are all very, very comfortable spewing hatred and outright lies about us all day from a position of relative security and privilege. Drawing a link between their transphobia and historical resistance to patriarchy is completely dishonest, and I suspect they're aware of this, which is why they never stop reminding themselves that they're nOT tHe fUn KinD (I guarantee I've read more Dworkin than most of these clowns, and she would have hated them).

jobotic

They should say Wealthy White Women Won't Wheesh, get more Ws in.

Cuellar

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 22, 2021, 01:44:01 PM
To be fair to Glinner (not that there's any reason to be), I think he did that for comedic effect. And it could be considered a success considering it's the only amusing thing he's done in about 20 years.

Yeah, but I don't get the joke. He looks at something he's holding, as if it just gave him an electric shock or something. You can see it more clearly in the madhair edit.

Mister Six

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on July 22, 2021, 01:43:05 PM
Oh 100% same here too. They're just desperate to appropriate any and all instances of women suffering or rebelling so that they can pretend any criticism of them is patriarchal. Brave warrior witches, supported by such bastions of feminism as The Daily Mail and the Proud Boys.

Aye, it was the appropriation thing I was thinking of, really, the arrogance of taking ownership of the concept of witches and shearing it of actual meaning just to boost their own identity, although I suppose they've done the same with "women", too. And I expect a lot of them are probably ignorant of witchcraft (Wiccan or otherwise) as an actual real-life form of religious or spiritual practice, except for a half-remembered Guardian article from the 90s about Wicca being recognised by British prisons or something. Just using the reflected glory of another cool/righteous symbol - like the Suffragette flag, or Peggy from Mad Men - to blind anyone who might see their squalid, hateful little cult for what it is.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Reg Tits on July 22, 2021, 02:32:57 PM
This shows what a total Nazi, transphobic cunt JK Rowling is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9756gN5Hc
pray tell Reg Tits, does pathetic burst balloon of a man Andrew Doyle use the word Nazi in his excellent analysis of some weirdo on the internet tweeting "I HOPE YOU GET BLOWNED UP BY A BOMB!!" to a celebrity, because i aint watching that shit.

'They eventually came after my family, so I lost my family' is a truly incredible way of saying 'Im a cunt and I have gone bananas to such an extent that my wife and kids fucked off'

idunnosomename

you'd think if truly nefarious activists came after your family, your family would stand by you, not fuck off. oh well!

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2021, 02:41:10 PM
Aye, it was the appropriation thing I was thinking of, really, the arrogance of taking ownership of the concept of witches and shearing it of actual meaning just to boost their own identity, although I suppose they've done the same with "women", too. And I expect a lot of them are probably ignorant of witchcraft (Wiccan or otherwise) as an actual real-life form of religious or spiritual practice, except for a half-remembered Guardian article from the 90s about Wicca being recognised by British prisons or something. Just using the reflected glory of another cool/righteous symbol - like the Suffragette flag, or Peggy from Mad Men - to blind anyone who might see their squalid, hateful little cult for what it is.

Yeah, they trawl through history and say 'Florence Nightingale, she'd be a terf.... Boudicca - terf.. Rosie The Riveter - definitely on our side... Rosa Parks, another transphobe surely...

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Barry Admin

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 22, 2021, 02:44:24 PM
pray tell Reg Tits, does pathetic burst balloon of a man Andrew Doyle use the word Nazi in his excellent analysis of some weirdo on the internet tweeting "I HOPE YOU GET BLOWNED UP BY A BOMB!!" to a celebrity, because i aint watching that shit.

It's "free speech expert" Andrew Doyle, talking about how he blocks people on twitter; thinks that jokes should be punishable; and advocating that JK Rowling indiscriminately sues all around her for libel.

The host corrects him when he says "Maya Forstarter was fired", and Doyle smiles and says "that's good clarity actually."

Then he reads out Rowling's tweet - which he 'has written down so he doesn't get anything wrong', but leaves out the Kathleen Stock-referencing dogwhistle hashtag at the end of it.

Dr Rock

It would be wise if all the threat senders (the ones who aren't terfs LARPing) to go for the silly CAB style 'I hope you lose a shoe on the bus' or 'I hope you put salt on your dinner but it was sugar and your meal is all ruined.'

JaDanketies

'I hope you notice a misplaced apostrophe on page 134 of Harry Potter and the Saucepan of Goblins and it keeps you up at night'

retsuza

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 22, 2021, 03:35:19 PM
'I hope you notice a misplaced apostrophe on page 134 of Harry Potter and the Saucepan of Goblins and it keeps you up at night'

Reminds me of this story from Stephen Fry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r84pbPbBAFY

If I had heard this a couple years ago I wouldn't think too much about it but knowing how Rowling is now this funny anecdote makes her come across as stubborn and even vindictive. No need to be a dick about it, Joanne.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 22, 2021, 03:13:50 PM
Yeah, they trawl through history and say 'Florence Nightingale, she'd be a terf.... Boudicca - terf.. Rosie The Riveter - definitely on our side... Rosa Parks, another transphobe surely...

There was a thread on Ovarit where they claimed Dworkin hated trans people and she only came across as supportive to "people who can't think critically" (The quotes from her are unambiguously supportive and she was acutely aware that "biological reality" was patriarchal thinking).

Barry Admin

Imagine Linehan's surprise when he eventually realises that man in the audience was just trying to warn him about the visible cum stains on his trousers.

Kankurette

Me too. They tend to be pretty chill/broad-minded about gender stuff.

Weren't most 'witches' hanged anyway?

ETA: Sophie, I've not read Dworkin but I'm a fan of Margaret Atwood, and TERFs love using Handmaid's Tale imagery even though Atwood herself is pro-trans. She's gone a bit Yer Da these days, but transphobic she isn't.