Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:40:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glin's Slide No. 9: TransIXclusionary

Started by madhair60, June 05, 2021, 10:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

cunt has more sim cards than stringer bell

A gleaming little micro-sim sitting in a baggie with "goose hoose" shakily biroed on. Sitting in the glove compartment of the racecar.

chveik

he's ruining the 'silly goose' expression too. absolute scum

Mister Six

And he's creating an unpleasant mental connection with the otherwise whimsical character of Choose Goose from Adventure Time.

The Bees

It's just making me think of Entitled Goose Graham Untitled Goose Game.

It's a lovely morning in the village and you are a horrible goose.

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: wrec on August 04, 2021, 11:08:20 AM
As with Ronson (and maybe to a lesser extent Gaiman) he was apparently enraged that someone he knew personally wasn't backing him up, and seemed to think that Amnesty Ireland director Colm O'Gorman owed him support because he and Helen did that video for the abortion campaign in 2015 (which everyone thought he did in solidarity with Irish women rather than as a favour with strings attached). Again I'll mention how gleefully he repeatedly referred to clerical abuse survivor / campaigner O'Gorman as "a priest"

This is the same guy who thinks Anita Sarkeesian, a woman he's never even met, owes it to him to be transphobic because several years ago he stuck up for her by saying GamerGate was bad. And then he proceeded to be so mad that she wouldn't do that he decided to flip sides completely. He's one of the most entitled and petty men I've ever been aware of.

Fry

phes

Multi part tweet explaining that they would be stopping using substack to write (which generated a substantial part of their own income) because of their platforming of transphobia, citing Graybo

Jumblegraws

Wonder why she deleted it? My hunch is it caused her more grief than it was worth

phes

It hadn't picked up any flack when I read it last night. It linked to an article about Linehan instead of namechecking

Sonny_Jim

It doesn't appear they even used substack that often, roughly posting once per month:
https://nosletter.substack.com/

Who knows, maybe they decided to change their mind.  People can do that if they want I suppose.  Anyway, I wonder what Greybum is up to:

'Shenanigans at the Webberley hearing' which I'll TL;DR for you.  Someone has been posting on twitter stuff about a hearing.  They don't know who it is.  For some reason they think this is illegal?
Quote from: From the SGB
To begin with, the other group is surprisingly well briefed. We have no access to the hearing's papers but the other group seem to have an astonishing grip on the detail.

It's a properly paranoid piece that thinks there's some shadowy person with insider information.  The only 'astonishing' thing to me is that the TERFs don't understand legal procedure and when they see someone else doing so, they think it's some kind of nefarious wizardy.

Silly bastards.

phes

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 05, 2021, 08:13:41 AM
It doesn't appear they even used substack that often, roughly posting once per month:
https://nosletter.substack.com/

They mentioned a couple of things they write about other than disability so perhaps they have other accounts or contribute

Dr Rock

Maybe other Substack users could do a petition saying they'll leave if Glinner isn't kicked off. Anyone on Substack?

Kankurette

Quote from: racecar bed indy 500 on August 05, 2021, 02:19:14 AM
This is the same guy who thinks Anita Sarkeesian, a woman he's never even met, owes it to him to be transphobic because several years ago he stuck up for her by saying GamerGate was bad. And then he proceeded to be so mad that she wouldn't do that he decided to flip sides completely. He's one of the most entitled and petty men I've ever been aware of.
And now he's siding with GamerGaters.

Dr Rock

He really is a fascinating chap. I will miss his antics when he's in prison.

frajer

I'm sure prison won't keep him from journalising the living heck out of all things female. Burner phone up his bum. With phone case designed by the wondrous Moley.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 05, 2021, 09:20:01 AM
He really is a fascinating chap. I will miss his antics when he's in prison.

Men's or women's? Surely he'll claim to be trans to prove his point.

dead-ced-dead

I'm rewatching The League of Gentlemen in the first time in forever and completely forgot about Barbara. Yeesh.

Bunty Levert

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 05, 2021, 08:20:51 AM
Maybe other Substack users could do a petition saying they'll leave if Glinner isn't kicked off. Anyone on Substack?
The same Substack with the CEO who tweets out stuff like "Defund the thought police"?

He's found the right place to pitch his sordid little grief tent for now.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 05, 2021, 09:37:24 AM
I'm rewatching The League of Gentlemen in the first time in forever and completely forgot about Barbara. Yeesh.
At least in those reunion specials they attempted to make amends slightly, if they had any brains they'd have taken a leaf from Glinner & brushed criticism off, doubled-down when challenged, spend 18hrs a day arguing on the internet...

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: MigraineBoy on August 05, 2021, 09:47:07 AM
At least in those reunion specials they attempted to make amends slightly, if they had any brains they'd have taken a leaf from Glinner & brushed criticism off, doubled-down when challenged, spend 18hrs a day arguing on the internet...

You know, I don't think I've seen the anniversary specials.

There was a lot of casual transphobia in comedy in the early-mid 2000s (Futurama was another good example). I think most of the good'uns now regret those jokes and cringe at them.

idunnosomename

The League are getting cheap laughs out of Bab's oversharing (and they genuinely are laughs), but she is just about the nicest person in Royston Vasey which does count for something.

comedy is of its place and time more than just about anything. an extreme example being why people find Shakespeare's jokes so bewilderingly unfunny (extremely blanket, because a good performer can make shakespeare come alive, but also I dont think he was ever that much of a gagmeister, but you know what I mean. see also music hall maybe)

but that IT Crowd episode. I remember it being bad at the time. The montage of the transwoman doing "lad stuff" was just fucking stupid. and then the fight is just horribly unpleasant.

I did like the "doesn't bother me" line first time I heard it, but the reason I did is retroactively nullified by it being a setup for an unbelievably shit pun.

phes

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 05, 2021, 09:31:58 AM
Men's or women's? Surely he'll claim to be trans to prove his point.

This is peak bananas, isn't it. Graham transitions and goes on a crime spree

mippy

Can someone explain the SIM card thing to a person who hasn't been banned from Twitter repeatedly? You'd just need to set up a new email for a new account, wouldn't you?

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: mippy on August 05, 2021, 10:47:53 AM
Can someone explain the SIM card thing to a person who hasn't been banned from Twitter repeatedly? You'd just need to set up a new email for a new account, wouldn't you?
I believe twitter ban IP addresses for the worst offenders especially ones who keep creating new accounts and it has been a long time since I set up my twitter but I vaguely remember giving them my phone number for security reasons and if its a ban evasion account he can't give them the same number he used to use

Milo

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 05, 2021, 08:13:41 AM
It's a properly paranoid piece that thinks there's some shadowy person with insider information.  The only 'astonishing' thing to me is that the TERFs don't understand legal procedure and when they see someone else doing so, they think it's some kind of nefarious wizardy.

Silly bastards.

Is that just them not knowing how disclosure rules work? As in where lawyers on either side have to disclose information to the other side that might weaken their own case.

mippy

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on August 05, 2021, 10:55:44 AM
I believe twitter ban IP addresses for the worst offenders especially ones who keep creating new accounts and it has been a long time since I set up my twitter but I vaguely remember giving them my phone number for security reasons and if its a ban evasion account he can't give them the same number he used to use

I didn't even have a phone when I set mine up (back in the days when you could update via text)

Pimhole

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 05, 2021, 10:05:16 AM
The League are getting cheap laughs out of Bab's oversharing (and they genuinely are laughs), but she is just about the nicest person in Royston Vasey which does count for something.

Babs is universally beloved by all the other characters too. It's not great - awful cheap laughs - but yes, they tried to acknowledge that in the Specials.

This scene in Series 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMUBoa0URlY

is lifted wholesale from a similar scene in this documentary about Julia Grant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeBwniFDDK4

The horrible dismissive attitude of the patrician doctor toward Julia is in TLOG transposed to a cis woman's experience, and becomes about the medical misogyny experienced by cis women throughout history and to this day. Thus - completely accidentally, of course - TLOG ended up making the point that trans women experience misogyny is very similar ways to cis women, which is important to understand if you want to understand misogyny.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 05, 2021, 10:05:16 AM
but that IT Crowd episode. I remember it being bad at the time. The montage of the transwoman doing "lad stuff" was just fucking stupid. and then the fight is just horribly unpleasant.

I remember at the time thinking that montage was horribly sexist - a woman! Drinking pints! IMAGINE!!! I was very ignorant of transgender issues, probably fairly transphobic myself. People slag off Twitter and often with good reason, but it has opened my eyes to the experiences of a lot of marginalised people of which I had no understanding before, in particular trans women and sex workers. I'll admit, in my teens and early 20s I thought "feminism" was thinking sex workers were traitors and trans women were men in drag. I came from a fairly sheltered, bigoted background. Luckily, I grew up. But it took a long time.

Cuellar

I'd never seen that clip of the doctor and Julia Grant before, remarkable.