Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glin's Slide No. 9: TransIXclusionary

Started by madhair60, June 05, 2021, 10:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Pretty weird to have a public blog about what you've seen on Twitter while you're banned, when you think about it.

In some respects Glinner is tragic. I do feel like Twitter had a duty to step in before it did. His breakdown was plain for all but the GC and Jonathan Ross to see. Like all big business decisions, the late stage meant it felt like a commercial decision rather than a moral one.

idunnosomename

I suspect he gave that James Barry account away once he was sussed on it. his syntax was so close. i dont care really. all I know is that his substack is a cauldron of hate and it's really abominable it's still hosted by a (woke silicon valley) corporation

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 13, 2021, 10:55:39 PM
oh my god who CARES

saying "menstruating person" makes ZERO DIFFERENCE to my life or to the awful cramps that plague me once a month
I don't like being called it but yeah, can't be arsed to get mad about it.

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on June 13, 2021, 11:01:28 PM

lol

Twitter lives rent free in Glinner's head.

At least now he's differentiating literal paedophiles from the people he merely falsely accuses of being paedophiles.

Dr Rock

Screaming into the void that someone deserves a blue tick. What does it fucking matter Glinner you psycho.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

dreamgirl

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 14, 2021, 08:50:47 AM
"Cripples" lovely

I've reported it, let's see what Twitter thinks about ableism...

At least they're getting fucking dragged.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Jockice on June 14, 2021, 08:11:56 AM
Not Linehan, but for fuck's sake.

https://twitter.com/FierceFemale2/status/1398186524835995653

QuoteWhen you can be 'born in the wrong body' why don't we hear the cripples and the handicapped about that? Why don't they demand from doctors to make the blind see and the crippled run? Why is it only the sex that can be wrong?

Dr Rock

QuoteWhen you can be 'born in the wrong body' why don't we hear the cripples and the handicapped about that? Why don't they demand from doctors to make the blind see and the crippled run? Why is it only the sex that can be wrong?
Pointless arguing with idiots who use rhetoric like this. Arguments they see as things to be won, not had. Just more chaff to put the missiles off course.
It's only worth entering discussion with people who are institutionalised in their hatred, rather than targeted with it.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on June 14, 2021, 08:11:56 AM
Not Linehan, but for fuck's sake.

https://twitter.com/FierceFemale2/status/1398186524835995653
Charming. But then TERFs don't care about any women outside their little GC bubble.

Mister Six

Quote from: dreamgirl on June 14, 2021, 09:09:50 AM
I've reported it, let's see what Twitter thinks about ableism...

Same, and threw in a couple of others, including a couple of the more openly transphobic ones.

idunnosomename

Dr Rock

phantom_power

That is almost a parody it is so wrong-headed. Surely they do try to make the blind see and the "crippled" run? And that is before you get into the wording of the tweet, and the attitude that it conveys

rack and peanut

They don't mention making the deaf hear because hearing aids and cochlear implants blow their argument out of the water

Kankurette

Quote from: rack and peanut on June 14, 2021, 02:54:51 PM
They don't mention making the deaf hear because hearing aids and cochlear implants blow their argument out of the water
Someone actually did mention that.

I think the OP is Dutch and/or not a native English speaker, which MIGHT explain the 'cripples' thing, but even so, it's a pretty nasty word.

Dayraven

hearing aids and cochlear implants blow their argument out of the water
And the person giving the thumbs up has glasses in their avatar.

Mister Six

Can't get to the tweet, so either they took it down after being ratio'd into oblivion or I've somehow ended up on their banlist, despite not responding to them.

Ambient Sheep

Yeah, it's gone.  Got to it fine earlier; gone now.

g0m

[kicks away prosthetic leg] NO!! YOU WEREN'T BORN WITH THAT

Cold Meat Platter

Also no one is saying that being a certain gender is a disability.

Dr Rock

I don't think trans people claim to have been 'born in the wrong body' anymore either.

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 15, 2021, 10:19:06 AM
I don't think trans people claim to have been 'born in the wrong body' anymore either.
Ehhh some do because that's the simplest way to explain it, some do because that's how they actually feel, and some say that because, to quote Contrapoints, "sometimes you have to explain being trans to someone who believes that dogs go to heaven". I don't think even medical science can explain why someone is trans. The point is that the tweet comparing being trans to being disabled 1) uses shitty ableist language 2) is ignorant of mobility aids, cataract surgery, prosthetic limbs, guide dogs and all the medical research underway with the goal of improving disabled folks' quality of life 3) is comparing two completely different things and thus is fallacious nonsense.

Milo

Even down to something as simple as glasses. I'm a -10.75 shortsighted person which means I'm basically disabled without my lenses. I was born with the wrong eyes.

Zetetic

Although Deafness-with-a-capital-D has it own complications as a culture, so citing it without at least gesturing to this complexity is also problematic.

Milo

There is that, the resistance in capital-D circles to it being something that doesn't need to be 'corrected'. There may be some parallel there in seeing gender dysphoria in the same way? I could see that in the sense that gender alignment surgery is very invasive in the same way as cochlear surgery, though less reversible. I remember there being some very vocal and widespread opposition to cochlear implants.

Not something I've yet thought through but might be something there.