Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs in a Different Time

Started by Toxteth OGrady, June 06, 2021, 03:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Caught this tune on the radio the other night in work. It's from the arse end of last year but could've been decades older.

Gabriels - Love and Hate in a Different Time.

https://youtu.be/IEEODUDUkLs

Got me to start on that thinking thing, what's some good songs that sound like they're from another age?

You know Clive, your Charles Barkleys, your Budos bands. I love this sort of stuff. What else you got?

Backwards or forwards in time, I'm easy.

Brundle-Fly

The OP brief is too wide and meaningless

Pauline Walnuts

Your ma's too wide and meaningless, the premise is fine.

I can't think of any examples though, Greeta Van Fleet now sound like Rush and not Led Zeppelin these days, I guess. Does that count?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 06, 2021, 04:00:26 AM
The OP brief is too wide and meaningless

Ignore this. It was late Saturday night talking. Soz.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on June 06, 2021, 03:47:33 AM
Caught this tune on the radio the other night in work. It's from the arse end of last year but could've been decades older.

Got me to start on that thinking thing, what's some good songs that sound like they're from another age?

You know Clive, your Charles Barkleys, your Budos bands. I love this sort of stuff. What else you got?

Backwards or forwards in time, I'm easy.

That's lovely.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 06, 2021, 03:40:17 PM
Ignore this. It was late Saturday night talking. Soz.

Me too pal. You're right though. And forwards in time. What the fuck was I on about?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on June 06, 2021, 08:13:40 PM
Me too pal. You're right though. And forwards in time. What the fuck was I on about?

Ha! No, I get what you mean now... sober.

Mr Banlon

lazyhour

This has always seemed 10+ years ahead of its time to me.

https://youtu.be/yoHDrzw-RPg
Big Mama Thornton in 1952

lazyhour

And there's this minimal techno banger from (checks notes) 1963.

https://youtu.be/vwQIgGQLOQ8

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I always thought that Suede's early singles (Metal Mickey/Animal Nitrate/The Drowners) sounded like they could have come from some mid seventies glam rock band, but one infused with a punk edge. They didn't sound like anything else that was around in 1993ish.

idunnosomename

I still can't believe Walking on Sunshine wasn't written OR recorded in the 90s.

holyzombiejesus

Always thought Les Fleurs by Minnie Ripperton sounded quite modern, certainly at least 20 years later than 1970.

Famous Mortimer

rue the polywhirl

The Eagles' Hotel California is in 4/4 as are most of their songs whereas Take It To The Limit is in waltz time.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

<something about Golden Brown by The Stranglers>

kalowski

I almost started a similar thread, but specifically about those song in the 60s and early 70s that had the old time music hall sound: When I'm Sixty Four, Jean the Machine, even Randy Scouse Get (apart from the sonic chorus).

phantom_power

I heard The Night by Frankie Valli on the radio a while ago and was amazed that it was from the 70s and not at least the 90s

The end of The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel sounds very ahead of its time to me as well the way it builds and builds

Chicory

'Trapped' by Colonel Abrams (1985) sounds like something Timbaland could've served up in the late 00s.

phantom_power

Hilly Fields by Nick Nicely is never from the early 80s

pigamus

A Midge Ure track came up on Spotify and I thought it was the adverts, sounded very new

EDIT: it was called Answers to Nothing

SteveDave

Quote from: phantom_power on June 08, 2021, 11:01:00 AM
Hilly Fields by Nick Nicely is never from the early 80s

It is simultaneously from 1967, 1980 and 1998.

SteveDave

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on June 06, 2021, 03:47:33 AM

I enjoyed this til someone went mad on a Monotron halfway through. Ruined it.

Billy

Both Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl and Paolo Nutini's Pencil Full of Lead I thought were old songs that had been reissued when I first heard them, even in the latter's case when I saw the video I thought they'd done a Reet Petite and claymationed some old dead dude.

On the dance side of things, when I first found out that Felix's Don't You Want Me was from 1992 I thought they must be mistaken as it sounded so obviously from later in the decade, probably from all the tracks circa 1995-6 that imitated it.

Chicory

Quote from: Billy on June 08, 2021, 09:26:17 PMOn the dance side of things, when I first found out that Felix's Don't You Want Me was from 1992 I thought they must be mistaken as it sounded so obviously from later in the decade, probably from all the tracks circa 1995-6 that imitated it.

It was re-released in '96 on the back of a Tango advert (I think) and got quite heavy rotation all over again.  That trancey house sound was at its zenith by then, so it still sounded pretty contemporary.

Tikwid

All I Wanna Do by the Beach Boys - from 1970, sounds like a Pitchfork-core indie hit from 40 years later

famethrowa

Quote from: Tikwid on June 09, 2021, 01:50:33 AM
All I Wanna Do by the Beach Boys - from 1970, sounds like a Pitchfork-core indie hit from 40 years later

Absolutely, all that post-2010 indie stuff has that big Wilson reverb fog about it.

When I first heard Tonight by The Move (1971) a couple of years back I was sure it was some jaunty 2000s indie Decemberists kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Wj89qIGEg

markburgle

That "I need a dollar, dollar" song sounded like some old Bill Withers B-Side.