Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

is garth marenghi's darkplace completely laugh-free?

Started by madhair60, June 06, 2021, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 15, 2021, 02:05:57 PM
guessing it's the New Forest? I've never been but that's what I imagine.
Black Park in Bucks by the look of it.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 15, 2021, 02:05:57 PM
guessing it's the New Forest? I've never been but that's what I imagine.
Garth says it's Epping Forest in the DVD commentary (to which Todd replies "Epping rubbish, more like")

ASFTSN

Apart from animal whimsy and LOLrandom stuff, I've never really understood what people mean when they say humour is studenty. I've heard it levelled at everything from The Mighty Boosh to Withnail and I.

Nowhere Man

When I think student-y the first thing I think of is The Young Ones and all that sort of stuff. I mean, even much of Peter Cook's stuff is very student-y. I get where old admin chops is coming from, but I find it hard to see why it's the big problem. It might be more on me for being about 10 in 2004 though, so I loved The Mighty Boosh and all that, and even as someone who likes that stuff in small doses can admit it's a bit too mimsy whimsy sometimes. A lot of stuff from that period like The IT Crowd is very wanky.

Garth Marenghi's is fab though, just for the Matt Berry experience at it's peak.

Barry Admin

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 15, 2021, 03:49:59 PM
Apart from animal whimsy and LOLrandom stuff, I've never really understood what people mean when they say humour is studenty. I've heard it levelled at everything from The Mighty Boosh to Withnail and I.

Yeah, your post is interesting, would make for a good new thread.

I'll give some thought to it, but my immediate reaction is there are at least two types of student comedy:

1) stuff students watch, like Withnail.

2) stuff that's tailored to students, like the Boosh.

And the latter would generally, I think, have a lot of lazy references that people would enjoy just out of recognition. Kind of low fruit, pandering shit.

I dunno.

(Peter Cook studenty? Whaaat?)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 15, 2021, 03:09:16 PM
In mild defence of the above chase scene clip, it does suffer a little as one of those things which doesn't really work out of context, since it is deliberately overlong it does look quite crap. It's also not really representative of the show as a whole at all. The murky indoor artificial sets and sound design are a huge part of what make it so good.

Even in that bike scene I can see past the whimsy and appreciate the 'sped up film' look, a couple of bad jump-edits, inconsistent film stock/lighting between cuts, the bit where they're weaving through the trees and one of them breaks from the choreographed pattern, and the sound of a car squealing on tarmac when he does a skid.

coolguy?

"You and he were buddies weren't you" need I say more

Cuellar

I liked the Man To Man episode with the folk singer, it was good.

Bazooka

One Problem with Man to Man is; Richard Ayoede didn't play Dean Learner like he did in Darkplace, he was much shiftier in DP.

gilbertharding

The Mollusk

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 15, 2021, 03:21:30 PM
Garth says it's Epping Forest in the DVD commentary (to which Todd replies "Epping rubbish, more like")

Epping Forest is a bit shit. I mean it's nice if you like trees, which I do, but it is somewhat cheapened by the inescapable sound of the surrounding A roads. There's better woodland in London but not many of them have the space for a chopper chase scene, I guess.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 04:31:14 PM
(Peter Cook studenty? Whaaat?)

it's clearly because of the reference to rigorous exams

The Mollusk

"Larry Renwick was admitted last week. The guy went axe-happy on a trout farm. He killed 60 fish."

Jumblegraws

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 15, 2021, 11:11:47 PM
Epping Forest is a bit shit. I mean it's nice if you like trees, which I do, but it is somewhat cheapened by the inescapable sound of the surrounding A roads. There's better woodland in London but not many of them have the space for a chopper chase scene, I guess.
In context, Todd is referring to the footage rather than the forest, I think.

willbo

Quote from: Bazooka on June 15, 2021, 09:42:13 PM
One Problem with Man to Man is; Richard Ayoede didn't play Dean Learner like he did in Darkplace, he was much shiftier in DP.

Haven't seen Man to Man for years but I remember him being pretty disturbingly shifty in it...

sevendaughters

Man to Man is better than I remember but the laugh track is particularly cloying, a sign of lost faith by the higher-ups

The Mollusk

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 16, 2021, 07:49:01 AM
"Larry Renwick was admitted last week. The guy went axe-happy on a trout farm. He killed 60 fish."

Dean's admission to punching a child actor "who was rude about Garth's writing" similarly pops into my head at improper moments.

"More of a back of the hand than a punch, but it came up in a big red bruise. Blah blah blah, cry cry cry, I don't see it as a big deal."

Jumblegraws

The absurdly mean commentary about the child actors is another highlight of the Darkplace DVD commentary track.

Mr Trumpet

That and the constant slagging off of Kim Noble and the other chap. "Who is that ghastly ugly-looking fellow?" etc

Jumblegraws

It's a shame in hindsight that they don't aim any of that at Graham Linehan when he shows up

Mr Trumpet

I imagine they knew how he'd react and thought better of it.