Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:18:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest genuine contrarians

Started by beanheadmcginty, June 06, 2021, 09:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

There's a lot of it about these days. People just taking the opposite view for the hell of it, either because they enjoy arguments or there's money to be made. But that's all bullshit and flimflam. I'm talking about the people who genuinely and sincerely hold beliefs that completely fly in the face of all evidence and common sense. It's a subject that came to mind just now while browsing Amazon for a suitable 40th birthday present for my friend and I stumbled across this author:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Marsh/e/B00NF8TJE2

mothman

Oh, DO please make sure you click on the link, everyone! It's better than you could imagine.

Interesting that the
Spoiler alert
Clifford
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Harris
[close]
books are £3.99 while the
Spoiler alert
Saville
[close]
is £7.65. Wonder why?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The latter is made from a sort of special crust.

Chairman Yang

Jesus God fucking Christ, why is 'BUY NOW' a thing?!

Video Game Fan 2000

I came here to post the guy who obsessively classifies every dinosaur species differently to how he's 'sposed to but my titchy dino contrarian got decked by the Weetabix skins of SAVILE INNOCENT and a blurb that starts "I'm nobody. I'm just an ordinary bloke..."

mothman

I bet he's got every sort of browsing history auto-deletion plug-in available installed on his PC.

Chairman Yang

Fair play to him, his Clifford book (which I apparently fucking own) opens by admitting his views on climate change were uninformed and he's since learned from his mistakes.

Joe Oakes

No need to read the Rolf Harris one, the cover is convincing enough.

flotemysost

Good to see a few Vernon Coleman litanies of nuttiness coming up in the recommended items underneath. I remember my secondary school library, for some reason, had a paperback copy of one of his books about animal rights. Being an ardent vegetarian and animal lover, I read it (I would have been about 13) and thought at the time he seemed like a sound sort, only to recognise (in horror) his name years later on rampantly batshit anitvaxx, anti medicine, AIDS denying etc. bollocks.

Re: the titles in the OP, knowing the clumsiness of Amazon's bestseller categorisation algorithm, I'm somewhat relieved that none of these have been classed as Erotica.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

beanheadmcginty

In the intro to the Savile one (which I presume is more expensive due to some Uber-style "surge pricing") he says there is going to be a fourth and final book in the "Why I Believe....Is Innocent" series. Shall we take bets on who it is? How can he outgun Savile? Epstein? Fred West?

mothman

Dr Rock

imitationleather

John Marsh Why I Believe He Is Innocent by John Marsh

mothman

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing John Marsh to write his next book about him."

non capisco

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 06, 2021, 11:02:39 PM
In the intro to the Savile one (which I presume is more expensive due to some Uber-style "surge pricing") he says there is going to be a fourth and final book in the "Why I Believe....Is Innocent" series.

*John Marsh's phone rings*
"Hello, John Marsh speaking."
"Awwight?"

Hand Solo

Gurke and Hare

I like the blurb for the Max Clifford one where he says "I've read everything in the papers." Ah, right, because that's exactly the same as all the evidence presented in court, isn't it?

NoSleep

No Michael Jackson book yet, mate?

Chairman Yang

He really needs to release a 'These Sex Criminals Are, Admittedly, Guilty' companion piece.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Chairman Yang on June 06, 2021, 11:47:17 PM
He really needs to release a 'These Sex Criminals Are, Admittedly, Guilty' companion piece.

He's saving that for the autobiography

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 06, 2021, 11:02:39 PM
In the intro to the Savile one (which I presume is more expensive due to some Uber-style "surge pricing") he says there is going to be a fourth and final book in the "Why I Believe....Is Innocent" series. Shall we take bets on who it is? How can he outgun Savile? Epstein? Fred West?

Hmm, I don't know... probably not Sutcliffe though as there's a nutter on facebook who has that covered already.

Dex Sawash

Reminded me that I am way behind reading Jonathan King forum posts.

Video Game Fan 2000

Townshend staring at the phone.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 07, 2021, 02:48:08 AM
Reminded me that I am way behind reading Jonathan King forum posts.

NO IT DIDN'T

Inspector Norse

Quite intrigued by one of the other books linked to on the Savile one:

QuoteJohn McShane
Savile - The Beast: The Inside Story of the Greatest Scandal in TV History: Singing with "Iron Maiden" - the Drugs, the Groupies...the Whole Story
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savile-Inside-Greatest-Scandal-History-ebook/dp/B00CKOPKJ0

Savile's spell with the Brummie metal legends is an oft-overlooked period of his life.

buttgammon

A while back, my university decided to plant wildflowers in its grounds. They argued that it would be good for biodiversity, good for the environment and that it would look nice: great idea. This led to a public consultation and a vote, in which the vast majority of people on campus voted for the wildflowers (obviously). A handful of Big Clever Men waged war on the university in comments sections for ages afterwards, constantly complaining about the ugliness of wildflowers and how these tools of the tree-hugging PC loony left would ruin the history of the place. Whenever I walk past and admire the wildflowers (which look great), I have a little chuckle at these morons.

Fambo Number Mive

Walked past a woman sitting on a bench just as an ambulance went past with its siren on
The woman covered her ears  fair enough.but then gave the albulanxe two fingers because of the noise. The idea that this person had that ambulances shouldn't have their sirens on because some people are very senstive to noise seems to belong in this thread.