Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,484
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

That fucking thing in super mario 64

Started by Fry, June 07, 2021, 07:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Maybe me not having a childhood connection to this game is a factor, but I don't feel much either way about Mario 64. Just feels like a game that has aged very poorly, both visually and functionally. I'm a bit baffled by how much fascination there is with strange theories and that ''Mario 64 iceberg''. It's just never been a particularly evocative game to me. I'm not a big Mario fan in general though. The Mario look, characters, music, never grabs me. My favourite piece of Mario-related content is that shit CD-i thing  ''Hotel Mario'' because of how hilariously, unintentionally awkward it is

madhair60

I'll get shouted at for saying this true thing but Nintendo fans are the most touched in the head of all fans of basically anything. They spend 90% of their lives in fucking fairy fiction land where obviously shit games like Mario 64 are "amazing". It is - quite clearly, to anyone without brain worms - barely controllable, poorly designed rubbish. Facts. Soz.

Anyway, back to Sonic Adventure.

Cold Meat Platter

It's a shame we didn't get a 3D Alex Kidd game.

bgmnts

I will say I've replayed games from that mid to late 90s era - Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc - and most of them hold up except for Goldeneye. That's very fucking hard to play for me now.

Garam

Quote from: madhair60 on June 30, 2021, 12:35:11 AM
I'll get shouted at for saying this true thing but Nintendo fans are the most touched in the head of all fans of basically anything. They spend 90% of their lives in fucking fairy fiction land where obviously shit games like Mario 64 are "amazing". It is - quite clearly, to anyone without brain worms - barely controllable, poorly designed rubbish. Facts. Soz.

Anyway, back to Sonic Adventure.

Pathetic

Jerzy Bondov

dissolute ocelot

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: bgmnts on June 30, 2021, 01:13:52 AM
I will say I've replayed games from that mid to late 90s era - Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc - and most of them hold up except for Goldeneye. That's very fucking hard to play for me now.

breaks my heart how unplayable goldeneye is. oh wait i said this exact same thing a month ago

evilcommiedictator

How many of you are now replaying Croc and Croc 2, and Gex: Enter the Gecko?

willbo

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 01, 2021, 04:14:17 AM
How many of you are now replaying Croc and Croc 2, and Gex: Enter the Gecko?

I used to sit there playing Croc in tears at how bland it was, I was desperate for a good Mario 64 alternative on PS1 but it just wasn't cutting it. My cousin and I played Gex a bit, I remember thinking it was amazing at first - finally the 3d platformer I'd been waiting for - but the level design got a bit stale. The best thing I did was just eventually get an n64.

Chedney Honks

For a sensible take on this, the first third of Super Mario 64 is mostly very good and undoubtedly iconic and because the levels are easier, the unforgiving controls are less of an issue. With so much space to run and jump, movement is still a lot of fun even if the weight of the character feels jarring at first these days. Beyond a certain point, though, mistakes in precision platforming are punished with a lot of wasted time which is extremely dated. The levels also become less atmospheric and have less personality. There's relatively little to connect them to the Mario universe. It becomes quite drab and repetitive albeit there are still some fun stars in there. Even the incredible music drops off.

On the other hand, it's still way better than Super Mario 3D World, the aaaahhhh the real best Mario game 😃😃😃 according to cunts.

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 01, 2021, 06:57:28 AM
On the other hand, it's still way better than Super Mario 3D World, the aaaahhhh the real best Mario game 😃😃😃 according to cunts.

Super Mario 3D World is the game you play while you wait for your doctor at the euthania clinic. Bowser's Fury is where you wake up if you were good.

madhair60

edit: actually I've decided not to do this anymore

willbo

2 kids in my family (age 7 and 9) love Mario 3d world. It's their favourite, and they have 64, sunshine, galaxy, odyssey, and the original NES game.

Kelvin

Yeah, its fine. I'm only goofin' about. I think its a bit boring, but its perfectly good fun, especially with friends.

willbo

Quote from: Kelvin on July 01, 2021, 10:43:03 AM
Yeah, its fine. I'm only goofin' about. I think its a bit boring, but its perfectly good fun, especially with friends.

the younger kids in my family like simple games they can get through easily... though they are getting into more challenging stuff now...

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on July 01, 2021, 10:43:03 AM

I have very fond memories of it on Wii U, but despite my excitement for its Switch incarnation I've barely touched it, which is a bit telling.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2021, 11:06:41 AM
I have very fond memories of it on Wii U, but despite my excitement for its Switch incarnation I've barely touched it, which is a bit telling.

Did you try Bowser's Fury? The Bowser stuff is a bit annoying, but the main stuff is amazing, so much fun; one big world of platforming. I really want the next major Mario game to go in that direction.

madhair60

30fps so I hacked my Switch and had the mode fully removed.

Kelvin

Jerzy Bondov

Super Mario 3D World is a masterpiece. The optional levels are way harder than anything in Mario Odyssey which you can pretty much sleepwalk through (though it's still a lovely game), but the main game is really accessible and varied. And you can be Rosalina. Peak Nintendo.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2021, 08:10:59 AM
edit: actually I've decided not to do this anymore
Finally. Now retract all that codswallop you were saying about Predator.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 01, 2021, 04:09:16 PM
Finally. Now retract all that codswallop you were saying about Predator.

No. I'm right. Why the fuck would anyone go so hard to bat for a movie as shit as Predator