Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rick & Morty Season 5 - commences June 20th

Started by NoSleep, June 07, 2021, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Trailers:
#1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Zy_mLgSNQ
#2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tks_1uCO5kA
#3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JqTvuVoI1A

The above are underwhelming shit. I wonder if R&M will affected by the same takeover shit that saw AS drop The Venture Bros (which has been a huge influence on R&M, ironically).

MojoJojo

R&M is massively popular which the VB never really managed.

I think I might be bored with Rick and Morty. I'm not sure if it's the never ending status quo or just that it's lost it's ability to surprise. I can sort of see the Story teller episode was good but I just didn't care. And looking back I can see several episodes that I have seen but I have to read the synopsis to remember.

They did come out at a bad time for me so I'll give them another go.

NoSleep

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 07, 2021, 04:16:42 PM

That wasn't really what I was getting at. The people that sacked off VB are overseeing the (apparently unenticing) continuation of R&M.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Bernice

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 07, 2021, 04:16:42 PM

I think I might be bored with Rick and Morty. I'm not sure if it's the never ending status quo or just that it's lost it's ability to surprise. I can sort of see the Story teller episode was good but I just didn't care. And looking back I can see several episodes that I have seen but I have to read the synopsis to remember.

They did come out at a bad time for me so I'll give them another go.

Yeah ,I get this. Dan Harmon has a tendency to disappear up his own arse which is thrilling for a bit, but then ultimately makes a show kind of weightless. Combined with how much of a sandbox Rick and Morty is for a writer and just how fully formed this show seemed from episode one, it's hard to see anywhere it still has to go. I still enjoy it and I'm sure I'll watch these, but I kind of wish Harmon would move on to something new. I remember being so blown away by this and Community once it really found its groove, it would be good to have that thrill of the new again.

Plus the fan base is a bunch of cunts.

madhair60

I like this show and I think it's getting better now that they've stopped trying to make me Feel Feelings for one of the biggest pieces of shit ever created

Kankurette

I used to like R&M until my now ex-best friend ruined it for me. I did love the therapist's speech in Pickle Rick though.

chveik

Thursday

There's so much working against this show, it's attitude, creators being awful, worst fans of anything ever. So it's absolutely infuriating that it's still funny more often than not. Would absolutely love to hate on and sneer at this show.

JaDanketies

Brilliant show, consistently funny. Some more recent episodes have been misses but not most of them. I used to rewatch it but I don't now - not sure if it's because of a decline in quality or because I don't have as much free time

mr. logic

Is it me or did they get really difficult to follow?

AsparagusTrevor

Video Game Fan 2000

I hope this is awful because I hate watching it and then thinking "I enjoyed that episode of Rick and Morty!" what the fuck am I. 

I thought the last series had a better hit ratio than the previous ones, so they better no screw this up for me and suck shit out loud.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 07, 2021, 08:49:30 PM
I like this show and I think it's getting better now that they've stopped trying to make me Feel Feelings for one of the biggest pieces of shit ever created

The anti-hero shit around Rick was both jawdroppingly misjudged and astonishingly badly executed. "Hurt" lol.

MrMrs

liked the episode where he got a girlfriend became normal then they got in a plane crash

ishantbekeepingit

I'm pretty sure the SAD RICK stuff is Dan Harmon's self-criticism/self-pity spilt onto the screen.

I don't think I've watched past the second or third series, personally, as I was put off by the infamous fanbase and then the show deciding to spring a fucking
Spoiler alert
extended child rape scene
[close]
out of nowhere.  Nasty trick.  Cunts.

chveik

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 07, 2021, 10:52:47 PM
I hope this is awful because I hate watching it and then thinking "I enjoyed that episode of Rick and Morty!" what the fuck am I. 

no offence but this is a weird attitude to have.

i like the first two series and then it started to rely too much on obvious parodies of famous pop culture stuff. just like community i guess.

and the fucking cunts cancelled venture bros

madhair60

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 07, 2021, 11:44:16 PM
I don't think I've watched past the second or third series, personally, as I was put off by the infamous fanbase and then the show deciding to spring a fucking
Spoiler alert
extended child rape scene
[close]
out of nowhere.  Nasty trick.  Cunts.

i think that was season 1 and quite early season 1 too. I do wonder what in the world they were thinking

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: chveik on June 07, 2021, 11:48:50 PM
no offence but this is a weird attitude to have.

i like the first two series and then it started to rely too much on obvious parodies of famous pop culture stuff. just like community i guess.

I'm mostly joking but its always been both funny and sus, even before it was the pickle rick meme show.

The second proper episode is maybe the thing that brought "cuck" into the mainstream, or at least popularised the specifically racial connotation of the insult.

The weirdest thing about R&M is that the high concept painfully meta episodes are almost always funny and well done, but any small/intimate character ones are patchy as shit. Legit hate what they've done to Beth and Jerry, making Beth a sociopathic supergenius isn't funny. Making Jerry sympathetic is lame because he has terrible qualities (coward, selfish, aggrieved, stupid), he's not just an out of touch dad. Can't they just let a suburban mom be accomplished without turning her into genius space Xena? So bad.

I liked the casual cruelty of Summer/Beth/Morty's situation as the backdrop to the insanity of the show and Rick's profound awfulness. Usually in American shows the Regular Dad guy is a selfish lazy idiot, but we're supposed to love him because he has a heart of gold underneath. Jerry was more like how Homer or Peter Griffith would be in reality: a total neglectful piece of shit who hides behind his sad sack persona, so he deserved his shit to get wrecked. Now they've made him sympathetic it ruins it for me and the show went through a rough period of repeatedly taking sympathy away from Beth, Morty and Summer and giving it to loser dad and sadist grandpa. 

jfjnpxmy

guys guys the people who like this

are bad

not like me tho i'm one of the good ones

brat-sampson

Eh, I remember really enjoying most of S4, especially the heist ep, the Vat of Acid ep and the Snake Planet ep.

Looking forward to this, because despite the backlash to the fanbase or whatever other bullshit doesn't affect me in any way, I do think it's usually a clever funny show.

Fuckers who cancelled the Venture Bros are pricks though.

madhair60

i think the "fanbase" thing is absolute bollocks to be honest, you can not like a telly programme without having to make stuff up

cue the same reddit post and that one video of one guy

JaDanketies

Quote from: madhair60 on June 08, 2021, 09:31:20 AM
i think the "fanbase" thing is absolute bollocks to be honest, you can not like a telly programme without having to make stuff up

cue the same reddit post and that one video of one guy

Yeah, the "Rick and Morty fanbase is terrible" concept is just a meme. Who even encounters 'fanbases' anyway? I'm not going to Rick and Morty conventions. The subreddit for R&M just seems like any other fanbase subreddit. In fact the Bojack Horseman one is perhaps a bit more "aren't we clever and deep thinkers watching a brilliant show" and Bojack never gets any flack. R&M fans are probably scared about complimenting the show lest someone copypasta a meme at them.

Quote from: NoSleep on June 08, 2021, 09:34:29 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeseeks_and_Destroy

Yeah there was no extended rape scene, or even a rape scene at all. Morty was threatened with rape by the Jellybean King but fought him off (and was traumatised afterwards). There's a world of difference between someone fighting a child molester off and an 'extended child rape scene'.

Bernice

Some fans did harrass and doxx the female writers of two season 3 episodes they thought were shit. It's 2021, I don't have to go to conventions to be aware of the shitty behaviours of various subcultures I'd rather avoid.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Bernice on June 08, 2021, 09:47:14 AM
Some fans did harrass and doxx the female writers of two season 3 episodes they thought were shit. It's 2021, I don't have to go to conventions to be aware of the shitty behaviours of various subcultures I'd rather avoid.

There are probably tens of millions of Rick and Morty fans, and almost all of them didn't dox female writers.

Bernice

Ah okay, I'll take a census next time before I form an opinion.

phantom_power

I think the hard science nature of the show and its general misanthropy do attract a certain sort of online persona. I am not sure if that is indicative of the fanbase as a whole or whether those sorts of people are most vocal and present on Reddit etc.

As for the show itself I think it is very funny besides the clever clever plotting so even if that stuff can get annoying there is still enough humour for the show to be entertaining

NoSleep

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 08, 2021, 09:43:30 AM
Yeah there was no extended rape scene, or even a rape scene at all. Morty was threatened with rape by the Jellybean King but fought him off (and was traumatised afterwards). There's a world of difference between someone fighting a child molester off and an 'extended child rape scene'.

I wouldn't diminish its impact like that. It's a powerful scene, handled (unusually) quite seriously and serves to set up the following scene where we see Rick realise what's happened to Morty and to take revenge on Jellybean. But in retrospect I can see how it could be triggering for others.

madhair60

I find that scene terribly misjudged and upsetting and as I said before I have no idea what on earth they thought they were doing. It's not funny and doesn't make a point worth making. And complaining about how it's specifically referred to seems like splitting hairs over a subject that really doesn't need to be argued the toss about.

Quote from: Bernice on June 08, 2021, 09:47:14 AM

I'd argue that's not really fans of R&M, that's just cunts who would take any opportunity to do this sort of horrendous thing. But the incredibly successful cartoon really doesn't need me to defend it, so...