Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,206
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rick & Morty Season 5 - commences June 20th

Started by NoSleep, June 07, 2021, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 03, 2021, 03:43:19 PM
I haven't looked anything up but have they really got a whole new set of people writing this now? Because it sure feels that way.

It's been a revolving door from the first season. A few writers have survived through two seasons but I don't think anybody's made it through three.

Thursday

I don't think it's been terrible lately, just very unremarkable, standard adult cartoon stuff really. The parody of anime delivery is like... South Park and Family Guy did it 1999.

Well okay maybe enough time has passed that you can do parodies of anime voice acting, but it felt like a very low-effort and uninsightful parody.

JaDanketies

I think the last episode was okay; maybe not as good as it is when it's brilliant, but at least it was focused and was a clear and comprehensible parody. And it included the meta infinite mortyverse.

Fry

Really really bad the last few episodes.

What happened to B-stories? They used to be used to give a more grounded, but still funny, counterweight to the A stories. Think like the therapist scenes in the Pickle Rick episode. Now there isn't anything to cut away to it feels like they can't pace the episodes properly. Its just a series of wacky ideas barely held together.

There's normally at least a couple of chuckles an episode (Jerrys "If you're easy to make happy, nobody gives a shit if you are.") But it doesn't feel like the same show anymore. Doing a Voltron parody in 2021 I thought was especially hack.

Blumf

Quote from: Fry on August 04, 2021, 04:10:52 AM
What happened to B-stories? They used to be used to give a more grounded, but still funny, counterweight to the A stories.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

madhair60

Nobody will agree but I thought the latest episode was incredible

Led Souptin

I'll agree. really enjoyed it. A little bit light on chuckles but a great concept (loved the eternal sunshine-esque memories bleeding into other memories) and some absolutely cracking cannon - my lady partner gasped really loud when
Spoiler alert
memory rick revealed that beth was killed.
[close]
I guess this really opens up a lot of theories on
Spoiler alert
who our morty is in relation to our rick
[close]

three week wait until the last two episodes lads

JaDanketies

Yes it was an entertaining and gripping episode, and I also noticed it wasn't funny; I laughed once. Good TV though. And I did have to rewind at the Beth revelation to make sure I heard it correctly.

lankyguy95

It felt like a Rick and Morty episode which hasn't been the case for a while.

Some of the ideas were a bit tired still and I think I laughed once ("You know when you're squanching and...") but I enjoyed the episode.

selectivememory

Wasn't really into it myself, but I at least appreciate that it showed a bit of ambition again after such a drab run of episodes.

Blumf

Definite improvement, not a classic but should be the standard.

On the backstory/continuity thing, does this mean Rick was going on fancy space adventures, in space, before he developed the dimensional portal gun?

Alberon

Seems like it.

As everyone has said - not funny, but a way better episode.

Small Man Big Horse

I've not bothered with the last couple but gave this a go after the response here, and the AV Club's review, but it didn't work for me. I just don't care about these characters at all any more and that's a real problem, I always feel a bit sad when I give up on a show that I once loved, but I really can't see any reason to keep watching it now.

JaDanketies

When it's good, it's truly exceptional. I'm not sure I ever cared about the characters especially due to the existentialist nihilist themes. Tbh I don't think it's maintained the consistent brilliance since the first two seasons but it's still better than most things. I do think if it maintains at this level it won't have the legacy it looked like it would have.

NoSleep

So we have to wait until September 6 for the final two episodes of this season.

Hat FM

does rik not drink anymore or just in moderation? also, was he always percived as some kind of intergalactic sex god or is this just a new thing from the last couple of seasons?

frajer

Only watched this last night as I haven't been very engaged with this season, but wanted to echo that I enjoyed that quite a bit.

A Rick-focused episode did open my eyes to just how irritating I've found Morty and Summer's characterisations to be this season. Far too cold and selfish. I like to think this is building to them both coming a cropper (a bit like how Clara emulating the 12th Doctor led to her Facing the Raven) but at this point the writing is so inconsistent I'm not convinced there's anything to it.

Looking forward to the hour-long finale now though, which I definitely wouldn't have said around the time of the middle-season episodes.

NoSleep

While looking for when the next two episodes would be broadcast I discovered there is an upcoming spinoff series about the Vindicators, where we'll get to see the mission mentioned that they didn't invite Rick & Morty along to.

The Giggling Bean

What does everyone make of the recent live action promos featuring Christopher Lloyd as Rick? Are we in line for a live action episode or is it just a bit of fun from Adult Swim?

NoSleep

Double episode season 5 finale dropping tomorrow.

mjwilson

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on September 05, 2021, 06:29:33 PM
What does everyone make of the recent live action promos featuring Christopher Lloyd as Rick? Are we in line for a live action episode or is it just a bit of fun from Adult Swim?

I would guess that there would be some kind of live-action element in the finale, just because of the timing.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: mjwilson on September 05, 2021, 09:06:25 PM
I would guess that there would be some kind of live-action element in the finale, just because of the timing.

Thats what I thought.

AsparagusTrevor

It'd be weird getting Christopher Lloyd in to film a few seconds just for a quick Force Awakens spoof on Twitter, but then it's R&M/Adult Swim we're talking about.

Small Man Big Horse

Ugh, I didn't plan to watch this but the Christopher Lloyd clip drew me back in, and it turns out it had nothing to do with the final two episodes and was something they filmed for no good reason at all. And these two episodes were utter dog shit as well, I really can't be arsed with this any more and won't be watching another second of it.

Edit: The more I think about the Christopher Lloyd thing the angrier I am, it's such a cunt's trick, it would have been fun to see him in a live action R&M even if it were only for a few minutes, but as it was just a PR stunt it's just a big old pile of shite.

Blumf

Getting really hard to care about any of this.

madhair60

enjoyed the last two episodes a huge amount and this whole season too, baffled by response to them

selectivememory

I thought the final two episodes were pretty good, especially episode 9, and a huge improvement over most of this season. Benefited from being mainly about just Rick and Morty, and not the rest of the family, and also being written by people who actually understand the characters.

Still, I reckon by the standards of the earlier seasons, these still would have been filler episodes in the past, but I'll take what scraps I can get.

Thursday