Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rick & Morty Season 5 - commences June 20th

Started by NoSleep, June 07, 2021, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Enjoyed both episodes and thought they were generally an improvement on a somewhat lackluster season, but it felt they were trying to have their cake and eat it by bringing up all the 'lore', while also treating it with disdain and irreverence. 

While they left it on a cliffhanger, episode 10 had a sense of finality to it and I would honestly be happy if it was the last Rick and Morty episode.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 06, 2021, 08:34:54 PM
Ugh, I didn't plan to watch this but the Christopher Lloyd clip drew me back in, and it turns out it had nothing to do with the final two episodes and was something they filmed for no good reason at all. And these two episodes were utter dog shit as well, I really can't be arsed with this any more and won't be watching another second of it.

Edit: The more I think about the Christopher Lloyd thing the angrier I am, it's such a cunt's trick, it would have been fun to see him in a live action R&M even if it were only for a few minutes, but as it was just a PR stunt it's just a big old pile of shite.

I dunno, I don't really keep up with the show much these days but I saw the three Christopher Lloyd spots they put out and I thought they read pretty clearly as just a daft one-shot promo thing rather than a tease for anything more substantial. It's fun seeing Lloyd playing Rick but honestly I think the gag would probably wear a bit thin if it was stretched out much further.

JaDanketies

Was anyone clear on 100% of Rick's backstory? I guess someone rewatched it a couple of times and put a synopsis on /r/rickandmorty or something but it went by too quickly for me to fully grasp all of it.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 08, 2021, 09:59:41 AM
Enjoyed both episodes and thought they were generally an improvement on a somewhat lackluster season, but it felt they were trying to have their cake and eat it by bringing up all the 'lore', while also treating it with disdain and irreverence. 

While they left it on a cliffhanger, episode 10 had a sense of finality to it and I would honestly be happy if it was the last Rick and Morty episode.

This is my problem with it. It feels like they just can't ever decide what the show should be, and so both sides of it end up watered-down. It's the thing that dragged down Community, where genuine funny and interesting ideas were constantly ground to a halt by the obsession with self-referentially going "oh but doing proper plot and character stuff in a sincere way isn't very cool, we know this because we watch loads of TV!" Make up your minds dickheads.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 08, 2021, 10:26:31 AM
I dunno, I don't really keep up with the show much these days but I saw the three Christopher Lloyd spots they put out and I thought they read pretty clearly as just a daft one-shot promo thing rather than a tease for anything more substantial. It's fun seeing Lloyd playing Rick but honestly I think the gag would probably wear a bit thin if it was stretched out much further.

Ah, I didn't know there were three of them and only saw one, plus there was a lot of speculation online as to him being in the finale which I stupidly fell for.

NoSleep

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 08, 2021, 12:41:58 PM
Make up your minds dickheads.

I think they've made up their minds not to make up their minds.

Led Souptin

I really enjoyed the last two. Plenty of things to enjoy in episode 9 especially. Am absolutely in love with garbage goober.

I think the rick backstory wasn't very clear (im still not sure whats actually going on) but i assume they'll go into it in further episodes maybe.

Unsure if the evil morty arc is over or continuing. Wasn't there a line alluding to getting over the evil morty thing so they could focus on adventures? Will have to give it another watch to be honest.

Overall a pretty mixed bag of a season but i'd still rate it higher than a lot of other things at the moment. Part of me wonders if the old week by week release schedule has been detrimental to the enjoyment by some - i.e there are plenty of shows on netflix that get away with far shoddier episodes than the weaker episodes of this season, but are forgotten about because you're usually discussing the season as a whole? maybe not. i dunno. food for thought? who cares? this season was certainly miles better than the last season of solar opposites imo.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I loved the finale. The season has been extremely uneven and inconsistent, with some of the all-time worst episodes for the show, but the heights were definitely better than what we had during season 4.

lankyguy95

Re: Rick backstory - it seems his wife and Beth died and he subsequently spent years trying to find the Rick who was responsible. So obviously that means that the Smith family he's been with this whole time are not 'his'. Something else about Finite Curve thing (did Rick create that to contain all the other Ricks?). I'd have to see it again to pick anything else out.

I agree their treatment was a bit "have their cake and eat it" - go all in on the emotional flashback and then dismiss it as if it was just a throwaway thing for the fans.

Anyway, I thought those two episodes were pretty decent, although again it's not making me laugh. Worst season by far. Their handling of pathos is too frequently cack-handed or out of place and it's exacerbated when they're really pushing for character evolution; I'm really not interested in seeing Rick realise he's been abusive, largely because he's funnier when he's a dick.

JaDanketies

Definitely agree that I laughed about as much throughout the whole season as I recall laughing at individual episodes from earlier seasons.  I wonder what went wrong with the writers? They didn't seem to be trying to make it funny, or mindwarpingly meta. The episodes were typically about as straight as you'd see from any other US animated comedy, perhaps with a sci-fi bent.

Thursday

Yep enjoyed episode 10 a lot so If I recall correctly that makes

Episode 1: quite good.
Episode 2: Excellent
episode 3-7 forgettable
episode 8-10 Good

Led Souptin

I think it's also suffering from technically being in it's 8th year, even though we're only on season 5. Of course writers will have left for other projects within that time. Even golden age simpsons showed signs of struggling at it's 8th year. The core writing team are now so completely different from the first two seasons.

I'm ragging on it a lot but i still really enjoy it even at it's worst. I'm still looking forward to rewatching this season in a year or something

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Led Souptin on September 09, 2021, 10:59:08 AM
I think it's also suffering from technically being in it's 8th year, even though we're only on season 5. Of course writers will have left for other projects within that time. Even golden age simpsons showed signs of struggling at it's 8th year. The core writing team are now so completely different from the first two seasons.

I don't think the comparison really works as by the end of The Simpsons eighth season they'd produced 178 episodes, whereas there's only been 51 of Rick and Morty. I think it's telling that Harmon and Roiland haven't written an episode for the past two seasons, I know it's not like they were ever writing a huge amount but to not bother at all seems a shame.

JaDanketies

Rick has also stopped drinking, burping and drooling. He's less of a wacky off-the-wall character nowadays and more like Neo or some superhero from The Matrix. Less like random chaos and more like he's totally in control of everything and omniscient.

Leo2112

The ending does open up some interesting avenues the writers could go down.  I'm not sure if the episode was explicit with this idea but it appeared to suggest that Rick, as the person who first discovered interdimensional travel, programmed the central finite curve (or the portal guns themselves) to only travel universes where he is the smartest.  This largely tallies with seasons 1-5 where there is rarely any opponent who poses much of a threat to Rick.

With Evil Morty breaking the barrier of the central finite curve, more dangerous intelligent species/universes could enter the story.

MojoJojo

I've not watched the last couple yet, but all this talk of the central finite curve and evil morty make it sound like the worst fan wank. I since we're talking about the R&M that's a scary prospect.

JaDanketies

There was a recentish hour-long Adventure Time episode that was the biggest fanwank I've ever seen. I was in floods of tears. (cos it was so good). Adventure Time - Distant Lands: Obsidian. They went all-in though.