Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,455
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:46:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rick & Morty Season 5 - commences June 20th

Started by NoSleep, June 07, 2021, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I think Rick's nemesis was intentionally made shit for effect but Beth & Jerry need a kick up the arse.

the science eel

Quote from: Bigfella on June 21, 2021, 04:31:49 PM
I was thinking about watching this tonight so I pored over this thread to see if I could pick up the basics.  Oh dear.  I have no idea what pickle rick or the venture brothers are, and even fans seem to worry that the whole thing is too challenging.  Any chance I might actually get and enjoy it?

Pickle Rick is wonderful.

You're getting the usual stuff here from people who (I'm surmising) got deep into it and came out the other side ready with the 'it's overrated' bit. I dunno, I love it. The best episodes are buzzing with imagination and humour some of the best animation I've seen to come out of the US.

Total Rickall is another one. I had to keep pausing it to take it all in. Bit like reading The Third Policeman for the first time.

There's always a couple of jawdropping moments in every episode, just wild stuff that comes out of nowhere. I admire that level of creativity.

Don't bother with the pilot, tho'.

lankyguy95

Quote from: NoSleep on June 21, 2021, 07:20:27 PM
I think Rick's nemesis was intentionally made shit for effect.
I don't think he was, they've supposedly been wanting to introduce him for a while and actually had him penned in for an earlier episode at one point. Seems to be a character they like.

Didn't find that episode particularly funny but I still enjoyed it. The Morty/portal storyline obviously the best bit of the episode - another example of them taking an idea which could be used as a throwaway moment but really pushing it to an extreme.

I hope they use that ending to develop Jessica's character because I'm not interested in more of the same Morty/Jessica stuff sprinkled throughout every season.

NoSleep

Quote from: lankyguy95 on June 21, 2021, 07:51:13 PM
I don't think he was, they've supposedly been wanting to introduce him for a while and actually had him penned in for an earlier episode at one point. Seems to be a character they like.

I saw that little spiel, too (at the end of the episode).

I think that all syncs in well with him being apparently kinda crap (and looking a little like Christopher Walken). Maybe we'll never see him again.

JaDanketies

Yes the Morty, Jessica and the Portal storyline was much more compelling than the Mr Nimbus plot. Perhaps deliberately, which made the ending of the Portal plot funnier imo

I feel like the Jessica character development was more of a reset button so they can still use her as a crush Morty has whenever it's convenient to the plot. She'll still have no personality.

Very much enjoyed the episode although it was stress-inducing

BritishHobo

Great opener that. I forget what an overwhelmingly imaginative show it can be, it's at its absolute best when it's doing things like packing centuries of a civilisation into little glimpses. Really clever, breathtaking stuff.

I kinda hope from the Beth and Jerry stuff that they might just keep them happy this season, rather than recycle the same toxic marriage/emotional reunion stuff.

Bigfella

Glad I decided to watch it, that's me hooked!  Very sharp and bursting with invention.  The animation crew must have to sweat blood making it, wonder how much computer jiggery-pokery they use.

lankyguy95

The new opening credits - Morty sinking a putt and nothing weird happening made me laugh.

Blumf

Quote from: lankyguy95 on June 22, 2021, 06:16:14 PM
The new opening credits - Morty sinking a putt and nothing weird happening made me laugh.

Isn't there a thing with those opening clips, half end up in the show, the other half don't. So, will Morty's totally normal golf game turn up in an episode?

dothestrand

Quote from: Blumf on June 22, 2021, 09:35:03 PM
Isn't there a thing with those opening clips, half end up in the show, the other half don't. So, will Morty's totally normal golf game turn up in an episode?

I liked the Mr Poopy Butthole episode, where he turned up in the usual credits, but of course those things never happened with him.....or did they?

Bernice

Quote from: Bernice on June 07, 2021, 08:08:43 PM
Yeah ,I get this. Dan Harmon has a tendency to disappear up his own arse which is thrilling for a bit, but then ultimately makes a show kind of weightless. Combined with how much of a sandbox Rick and Morty is for a writer and just how fully formed this show seemed from episode one, it's hard to see anywhere it still has to go. I still enjoy it and I'm sure I'll watch these, but I kind of wish Harmon would move on to something new. I remember being so blown away by this and Community once it really found its groove, it would be good to have that thrill of the new again.

Plus the fan base is a bunch of cunts.

Fair play, just watched the new one and thought it was great. Very funny and full of that inventive thrill that defines the best R&M. Perhaps it is I who is the cunt.

madhair60

Enough ideas in that one for about a season of almost any other show. Stinking of ideas. Brilliant as usual.

NoSleep

After a second viewing I think Mr Nimbus is great. Love all his little gestures and dance moves (can't shake the idea that he was inspired by Christopher Walken).

McFlymo

I was sure it was a reference to Frank N. Furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show, with the bisexuality and coming onto the married couple who, at first are scared, but warm to the idea of getting it on with him.

R&M feels a bit angry and soulless to me. Is that Dan Harmon's fault?

There's just so much bitterness and fighting all the time. Every warm moment is immediately undercut with betrayal or slapstick.

At the same time I love the colourful sci-fi element and how imaginative and exciting that can be, but the characters all seem so bleak and miserable to me.

NoSleep

Quote from: McFlymo on June 23, 2021, 10:59:31 PM
I was sure it was a reference to Frank N. Furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show, with the bisexuality and coming onto the married couple who, at first are scared, but warm to the idea of getting it on with him.

Looking a little like Ziggy Stardust, too (maybe the most obvious reference).

phantom_power

Quote from: NoSleep on June 24, 2021, 06:17:19 AM

Yeah, I thought it was a hyper-Bowie

frajer

Watched last night and enjoyed it a lot, especially liked that it was fairly lightweight and just a fun fuckabout adventure.

Nimbus "controlling the police" and everyone coming to accept it as part of his mystique was a lovely weird gag.

Johnboy

Loved this first episode - found the escalating situation behind the portal hilarious.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: NoSleep on June 24, 2021, 06:17:19 AM
I thought he was most obviously a sendup of The Submariner. In keeping with The Vindicators episode and Harmon's general disdain for superheroes.

Hopefully he doesn't get overused and wear the joke thin. As a one-off, I thought he was tremendously funny. I can't think of another cartoon that would wring as many laughs just from his flamboyant movements - South Park would have a go, but the animation here was a cut above.

madhair60

selectivememory

Yeah, I loved that. Right up there with the best episodes of the show.

lankyguy95

The premise could easily have got boring quickly because it created mistrust in the characters very early but I found the whole episode a genuine thrill. To the point where I was genuinely taken aback by the mislead with the puppet decoys.

Small Man Big Horse

I struggled with it unfortunately, and found it impossible to care about any of them as the rug kept on being pulled and whoever we thought was real turned out to be decoys. Oddly enough I loved the post credits sequence though and would happily have watched an episode based on that idea alone.

BritishHobo

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot until the end where it felt like they'd piled so many ideas on that they just thought 'fuck it'.

Also they really don't have to do the meta-stuff, the 'hunt me' guy coming back is funny enough already without needing Rick to go 'lol we set you up as a character without realising it and now it's paying off!!!!' Yeah, and explaining that doesn't make it any cleverer. Plenty of shows do brick jokes and payoffs. Sometimes it feels like they're embarassed to just do something funny without hanging a 'we know this is clever in the show that it's in!!!' sign on it.

Still full of some great, very funny ideas though, especially the puppet family.

Maybe I missed it, but why did he make the decoys in the first place? He mentions something about Space Beth but I didn't catch it.

Honestly it felt kinda retread-y of stuff they're done before (copies of characters, Total Rickall kinda)

Replies From View

If Rick and Morty has a natural lifespan I hope they have the balls to end it rather than grind it on and on to death.

Small Man Big Horse

lankyguy95

After enjoying the first two episodes, I thought this week's was pretty bad. The B story with Rick and Summer was woeful.

Moribunderast

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 05, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
After enjoying the first two episodes, I thought this week's was pretty bad. The B story with Rick and Summer was woeful.

Yeah, I thought the first two episodes were great (with last week's being maybe one of the best ever for the show) but this week's felt a bit lacking. As you say, the B story had nothing to it past the initial premise and the Morty parts were okay but felt a bit half-baked too. They can't all be winners. I still laughed a bit but it was a comedown after last week's excellence.