Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming safe havens aka the comfort of a cosy pub

Started by thelittlemango, June 07, 2021, 03:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm late to the party but have been playing Witcher 3 on the Switch obsessively for the last couple of months and one of the things that has stood out to me the most is how lovely the pubs are in it.

You arrive at one after hours amongst mountains, tepid swamps and fields full of dead bodies, battling demons, deserters and everything inbetween and they feel like genuinely lovely places to be, with live music going on and people doing a jig, cosy lighting and the sound of people laughing and talking drunken rubbish or settling down for a game of gwent in a little nook, they seem so alive.

I realised that I don't get that from most safe havens in games (not just pubs, anywhere you can shelter from the gameworld for a bit), which tend to feel quite charmless, and thought I'd start a thread to see which places others have found comfort, or which you hate or which stand out in some way...

El Unicornio, mang

I always enjoyed popping in the pubs in GTA San Andreas to play a game of pool and listen to some 90s rock. Nice getaway from the mayhem going on elsewhere in the game. The tennis and golf in GTA V have similar appeal to me.

Bazooka

Video Game Fan 2000

The Irish pub in Yakuza.
Scabb Island in Monkey Island 2.
The Rubacava dockside and beatnik bar in Grim Fandango.
Animal Town in Link's Awakening.

beanheadmcginty

Used to love nipping into the tavern for a quick gamble on the dice in Moonstone.

Pink Gregory

there's more than one article about the Hound Pits Pub in Dishonored; but similarly to the hideout in Wolfenstein the New Order, I like how you're invited to familiarise yourself with a space and later you have to fight your way out of it.

Zetetic

The Dreadful Wale in Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider is very pretty. I like the way they manage to use it to generate quite a range of atmospheres, although that probably means it's not really really a comforting safe haven.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on June 07, 2021, 04:15:28 PM
Have you been to Boston Crab's gaming pub?

There's a gaming pub round my way called 'Super Bario', which is just about the perfect name really.